• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    +1 for The Bullet Trap in Plano for handling guns. They have a great selection of rentals which you can shoot at their indoor range. I also believe they offer CHL and training courses (for a fee, of course).

My wife loves her pink frame Taurus semi-auto in 9mm. They are only available at Gander Mtn, which is in Sherman, and another location in Corsicana.

TexasHK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Seguin, Tx
    I'd say what you are looking for is what makes you comfortable to shoot.
    Everyone has their preference and I'll do my best not to preach my beliefs here.

I'm another one of your younger folks here at 25, but have carried a weapon since I was also 21. I've been around guns most of my life and enjoy about every aspect of them.

For your own information, if no one has given you full explanations, a double action pistol will shoot everytime you pull the trigger, although you have a stiffer trigger pull due to the fact that the trigger movement is backing the hammer and firing in one stroke. This gives you a long pull evertime. Some weapons like the Springfield XD's and glock (semi-autos) are always doubel action, although they do not have an extremely long pull.

A Single Action Weapon requires you to back the hammer (for a semi-auto) this is for the first shot only, then the slide does the work for you until you run out of ammo. A single action revolver requires you to back the hammer every time you want to shoot.

Many Semi automatic pistols such as H&Ks and Berettas are a Single/Double Action pistol. They give you the ability to just pull the trigger for the first shot as double action and them you get the nice crisp pull from then on out. In short you do not manually have to back the hammer as you might on a 1911 or a Browning Hi Power which are single action only.

I hope this answers some of your questions, but as for caliber, firing a weapon is the only way to find what you like. 9mm is an easy to handle for most anyone, and you can get many rounds in a weapon (15 in a Beretta/ 18 in an HK).

But your key is going to be your proficiency with the weapon. Spend time at the range and you'll grow to love shooting more and more, and instead of practice, it will become a hobby.

My whife went from not know how to shoot a pistol that well (she only really used rifles) to shooting her own Beretta in 40S&W and now she loves my 1911 in .45 and strangley for a small woman of 5'4" and 120 lbs, she loves to shoot my Desert Eagle in .44 Mag. If it were up to her, she would shoot her CHL with the 44, but that is because she shoots it well and trusts her ability with it.

Sure Shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    League City
    To simplify the meaning of Single/Double action further:

Single Action (SA) - trigger pull performs a single action: dropping the hammer.

Double action (DA) - trigger pull performs two actions: 1.) Cocking of the hammer, 2.) dropping the hammer

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    I agree with those that say to handle and shoot as many as possible before you make a purchase. My 15-year-old daughter is very slender and has no problem whatsoever with my 1911-style .45 auto pistols, in fact she is an excellent shot with them. My wife (has her CHL) carries either a .357 magnum snubby or a double-stack 9mm auto pistol. it's all about what you're comfortable with, what you can shoot and handle the best. Good luck and have fun!

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I would also highly suggest not buying something after handling only and without shooting it or a similar model. Some guns may feel great in the hand, however their characteristics when firing may turn out a bit different or there may be other aspects that come out and are possibly less than desirable. Basically what I'm saying is just because something feels great, doesn't always mean it will turn out that way and the feel is only half the puzzle. Handle and shoot as many as you can. ;)

Top Bottom