• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    So my wife needs to carry at work. She needed to any way, but a specific incident got her to actually do it. We went to a gun store and fingered a Glock 34. She said it was way too big so we decided she'd carry my glock 19 and I'd get the 34. Well, the next day, she's complaining about how she has to get something else because it's too big and heavy and she can only wear two outfits with it, and it's way too hot. I managed to hold my tongue about the comparison of office clothes for men. Yeah I'm annoyed. I wanted a Glock 34 any way, but I'd rather have spent that money on something we actually need now, like one she'll carry.

I got her a belly band holster because it wasn't expensive and it would work for now. But she says it's too bulky (meaning with the handgun, I suppose) and too visible. She didn't appreciate my showing her OWB holsters as an alternative.

She wants a thigh holster so she can wear dresses. She likes wearing a belt with dresses (which I still don't get, but that's the fashion, so I just accept it), but isn't interested in OWB or OC. She doesn't seem to think that it would take too long to draw. I'm hoping I can arrange a situation where she will be suitably impressed otherwise (a training situation with dummy guns - I'm not completely stupid).

She also wants something much smaller. I'm not especially keen on single stack guns or peashooters. I have a keltec pf9 I need to dig out, but I'm not sure that would be as effective as I'd like. On the other hand, any gun she carries is better than the perfect gun that she doesn't carry.

Can anyone recommend a decent thigh holster for a woman? Or any advice for the situation in general?
    ARJ Defense ad

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I'll say the same thing I said in the Dumb SOB gun advice thread: your wife needs to be having this conversation, preferably without you around. She's told you her preferences that would most likely lead to her carrying more often. Besides, you've probably got as many holsters as she has shoes. Now she needs as many holsters as you have.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    Take a look at the S&W M&P EZ in 380. EZ means easy to rack the slide and small and light. My granddaughter liked that one.

If she just sits at a desk for the most part, maybe a purse holster?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I always figured a thigh holster on a women was just some Hollyweird bullshit! I would think any pistol of size would require a garter belt to support the weight.

I suggest she takes an Ace bandage just to see how bad a thigh holster might be!

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I'll say the same thing I said in the Dumb SOB gun advice thread: your wife needs to be having this conversation, preferably without you around. She's told you her preferences that would most likely lead to her carrying more often. Besides, you've probably got as many holsters as she has shoes. Now she needs as many holsters as you have.

I don't disagree. It's just hard to get her to spend the time for it.

At least with the first part. I only have about nine or ten holsters. She must have at least ten times as many shoes.

She can back a trailer pretty well though, so she has that going for her.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    You trying to help a women with attire is never going to happen.
    She will have to learn for herself.
    Try Girls withguns.
    The most help I give her with attire is when she explicitly solicits my opinion on some particular point, or to tell her I like the way those pants look on her. I'm more looking for examples of holsters to suggest to her as a starting point, to work with what she says her attire will be.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Take a look at the S&W M&P EZ in 380. EZ means easy to rack the slide and small and light. My granddaughter liked that one.

If she just sits at a desk for the most part, maybe a purse holster?
    She probably spends half her time out of the office, depending on the time of year and what's going on.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX

Oh and to answer the questions in the first post there...

Yes she has some experience (did all the LTC stuff and has an LTC)

Yes she has shot a few and handled a few. I'm working on increasing that number.

Yes she intends to practice and improve, and probably to get more training.

That's why I think I have a chance at making suggestions about a holster.

Daley_G

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Cypress
    The purse thing scares me since women don't carry their purses all the time. Not having the weapon on the person at all times renders the person defenseless, if not worse by potentially leaving the weapon available to an assailant. I respect the fact that women's fashion is far more important to them than men (generally), so this isn't going to be easy. I'm watching this thread because we're in a similar situation where as a real estate agent she has to show houses to strangers and isn't going to be holding her purse the entire time.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    The purse thing scares me since women don't carry their purses all the time. Not having the weapon on the person at all times renders the person defenseless, if not worse by potentially leaving the weapon available to an assailant. I respect the fact that women's fashion is far more important to them than men (generally), so this isn't going to be easy. I'm watching this thread because we're in a similar situation where as a real estate agent she has to show houses to strangers and isn't going to be holding her purse the entire time.
    The only time I advocate keeping a gun in a purse is when you're using a purse as a range bag.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    What she should do is talk to other women who are serious about carrying and what they do that is successful to them. If one of your local ranges has a women’s night or even league and a female instructor that would be a good place to start.

On LinkedIn there is a gal who is a veteran, instructor, advocate, and carries daily by the name of Jerah Hutchins if I recall. Granted she is up in the Dallas area, but has the proper perspective to help your wife decide.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Seecamp, KelTec , NAA, etc.

Something small enough to pocket carry without hassle. When she decides she wants to carry more gun, she will figure the holster out on her own.
    All of your suggestions outside of the top line of this post will be wrong.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    A Keltec semi-auto P32 (6 oz. or so in weight) .32 caliber is about as small as they come and it holds 7+ 1 if memory serves...it's what I now carry when working in the yard...with a fully loaded magazine using JHP's.

Hey, it's bettern nuttin...

As time has progressed, I've found swinging an axe or sledge with 15+1 roundsin a G19 and some other pistols...cause me debilitating back pain. Can't suck it up any longer so light in weight is now a must!

Small in caliber no doubt, but will still...maybe...do the job in a pinch.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    So my wife needs to carry at work. She needed to any way, but a specific incident got her to actually do it. We went to a gun store and fingered a Glock 34. She said it was way too big so we decided she'd carry my glock 19 and I'd get the 34. Well, the next day, she's complaining about how she has to get something else because it's too big and heavy and she can only wear two outfits with it, and it's way too hot. I managed to hold my tongue about the comparison of office clothes for men. Yeah I'm annoyed. I wanted a Glock 34 any way, but I'd rather have spent that money on something we actually need now, like one she'll carry.

I got her a belly band holster because it wasn't expensive and it would work for now. But she says it's too bulky (meaning with the handgun, I suppose) and too visible. She didn't appreciate my showing her OWB holsters as an alternative.

She wants a thigh holster so she can wear dresses. She likes wearing a belt with dresses (which I still don't get, but that's the fashion, so I just accept it), but isn't interested in OWB or OC. She doesn't seem to think that it would take too long to draw. I'm hoping I can arrange a situation where she will be suitably impressed otherwise (a training situation with dummy guns - I'm not completely stupid).

She also wants something much smaller. I'm not especially keen on single stack guns or peashooters. I have a keltec pf9 I need to dig out, but I'm not sure that would be as effective as I'd like. On the other hand, any gun she carries is better than the perfect gun that she doesn't carry.

Can anyone recommend a decent thigh holster for a woman? Or any advice for the situation in general?
    OOC rich environment, fer shore.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The only time I advocate keeping a gun in a purse is when you're using a purse as a range bag.

The problem with purse carry is that you have to really commit to it and keep the purse on you at all times. No woman is going to do that, so I also look askance at carrying in a purse.

However, I don't totally dismiss off-body carry.

It took commitment but I carried for several years in a small man's clutch, aka "fag bag". It had a strap to go around my wrist that attached to the lanyard loop at the bottom of the pistol. The pistol pocket closed with velcro. The draw was accomplished by simply using the off hand to strip the clutch off the pistol. This motion essentially pushed the pistol into my shooting hand. I had to be willing to carry that clutch all the time and when I needed to do something with my dominant hand I had to be willing to just let it dangle from the strap. Most people won't go that far. I found enough situations where it got in the way that I stopped carrying that way.

Now that I'm retired, I could do it again if I felt the need. I'm sure there are plenty of folks whose work environment would make a similar solution workable.

It's just something to consider.

OTOH, females with experience are probably a better source of info on the topic than I could ever be. Perhaps this is what you're looking for? Many thanks to 1911'S 4 Me for pointing me to that resource.

Top Bottom