• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Wow...

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/t...River-Authority-to-drain-4-lakes-14319066.php

Sort of a big deal.

ALL of the lakes to be "dewatered".
    No present plan to "rewater"

Estimates that 1/2 of the billion dollar real estate value vanish into the ether!

one-billion-dollars-ks0wff.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

Attachments

• one-billion-dollars-ks0wff.jpg
      one-billion-dollars-ks0wff.jpg
      28 KB · Views: 301

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I wonder the same thing.

Some attorney's will likely get rich if it's not clearly spelled out in Tx law.

A friend has his Buda (AKA Austin suburb) home for sale for 1.6 million.
    His home on Lake Placid (AKA Guadalupe River) is nearly done.

Upset is an understatement.
    I'll ask him, if I dare.

Can you imagine the property value not only lost, but upside down out the yass with the lenders? Someone’s going to be left holding a heck of a lot of worthless paper.

I’ve been flipping property for years, it makes me sick just to think about the implications of this mess for a whole lot of innocent folks.

Last edited:

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    There’s a real incentive to rebuild the dams. The trick is getting the money to do so and provide ongoing maintenance.

A lot of work is going to have to be done just to get to that point which doesn’t bode well given the glacial pace of Texas politics.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Heck.

I'd rather have a river place than a lake place.

Fishing and kayaking and grilling by the Guadalupe rapids sounds like my style.
    Maybe I should shop!!!

I do feel for the people that spent a fortune on McQueeny property that are about to be besieged with a stinky mud flat and an expensive boat launch 12-15 feet in the air!

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    Can you imagine the property value not only lost, but upside down out the yass with the lenders? Someone’s going to be left holding a heck of a lot of worthless paper.

I’ve been flipping property for years, it makes me sick just to think about the implications of this mess for a whole lot of innocent folks.
    Didn't the property owners have some responsibility to see that the necessary inspections and routine repairs upgrades happened?

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Heck.

I'd rather have a river place than a lake place.

That’s the problem. They wanted a few more acres of surface area to play in, not a river. And a muddy bottomed trashy silted up section of river at that.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Didn't the property owners have some responsibility to see that the necessary inspections and routine repairs upgrades happened?

GBRA is responsible for the infrastructure. They estimate $15m - $35m per dam is needed to refurbish. GBRA doesn’t have that kind of money and isn’t a taxing authority, so that limits their options.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Kinda curious about the ownership of the land that used to be under the lake water.
    With the river eventually returning to its original riverbed all the land that had been underwater of the lake, that now will be dry, belongs to who?

I have no idea but i believe it would become public land or at the very least state owned.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    GBRA is responsible for the infrastructure. They estimate $15m - $35m per dam is needed to refurbish. GBRA doesn’t have that kind of money and isn’t a taxing authority, so that limits their options.

A drop in the bucket compared to the economic impact.

That being the case, it makes a lot more sense to find a way to fund the needed repairs. Particularly since the homeowners are willing to do their part.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I have no idea but i believe it would become public land or at the very least state owned.

Streambeds in Texas belong to the state, held in trust for the public. Generally, if Mother Nature gives you land, you gain title to it and if she takes away land you don’t lose title. But this is much more complicated than natural erosion/sedimentation.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    Streambeds in Texas belong to the state, held in trust for the public. Generally, if Mother Nature gives you land, you gain title to it and if she takes away land you don’t lose title. But this is much more complicated than natural erosion/sedimentation.

Definitely more complicated.

The Small Bill https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/civil-statutes-titles-78-to-111/civ-stattx-civ-st-art-5414a.html ceded many of the State’s rights to land owners whose land lies “across or partly across water courses or navigable streams”. It was enacted in 1925, prior to most of the Texas dam projects. It would be a stretch to think that the rising waters from the dams limited property owners’ rights for deeded land up to the navigable streams.

Indeed, if you zoom in on the Travis County CAD map http://propaccess.traviscad.org/mapSearch/?cid=1 for Lake Travis you will see loads of parcels that are “under water” — physically, not necessarily financially.

Here is the detail for one http://propaccess.traviscad.org/clientdb/Property.aspx?cid=1&prop_id=171320 — 61.6 acres “UNDER WATER” assessed @ $1,000 per acre.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Definitely more complicated.

The Small Bill https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/civil-statutes-titles-78-to-111/civ-stattx-civ-st-art-5414a.html ceded many of the State’s rights to land owners whose land lies “across or partly across water courses or navigable streams”. It was enacted in 1925, prior to most of the Texas dam projects. It would be a stretch to think that the rising waters from the dams limited property owners’ rights for deeded land up to the navigable streams.

Indeed, if you zoom in on the Travis County CAD map http://propaccess.traviscad.org/mapSearch/?cid=1 for Lake Travis you will see loads of parcels that are “under water” — physically, not necessarily financially.

Here is the detail for one http://propaccess.traviscad.org/clientdb/Property.aspx?cid=1&prop_id=171320 — 61.6 acres “UNDER WATER” assessed @ $1,000 per acre.

Indeed.

Riparian rights in Texas are a hornets nest of exceptions which take knowledgeable legal advice on a case by case basis.

Many rights under an O&G lease have hung in the balance ...

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Sounds like that is not the problem.
    https://gvlakes.com
    Scroll down too the "Common Misconceptions" part of the web site.
    They spent $25,000,000 on repairs in recent years. Money they really don't have.
    They have been operating at a deficit for many years.

The root-cause problem is 90 year-old steel that was never intended to last a century and it is not.

The lakes are a valuable part of our state's financial and recreational infrastructure and the legislature will likely find it appropriate to ante up the estimated 0.18 billion that re-building will cost.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom