• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Twice I have had Windows issues on Dell's. Once almost immediately after buying. Dell gave up and issued a full refund on that one after nearly three months of hassle.

Something about the interface of Dell firmware with Windows? Or the Windows build they use?

As far as hardware, they hold up well. Toshiba had great screens, but did not seem to last as long.

Will not buy Lenovo again.
    Hurley's Gold

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The reality is most computers are well made these days, but every brand will have a problem machine.

The real issue these days is you will need to replace a machine because it’s too slow. I had been buying clearance units, which were already 1-2 generations behind.

Last Dell I bought I called in and ordered the fastest thing they had. My connection speed went from 39 on the old machine to 580 on the new Dell.

Buy a new one. In 6 months you are already behind.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The reality is most computers are well made these days, but every brand will have a problem machine.

The real issue these days is you will need to replace a machine because it’s too slow. I had been buying clearance units, which were already 1-2 generations behind.

Last Dell I bought I called in and ordered the fastest thing they had. My connection speed went from 39 on the old machine to 580 on the new Dell.

Buy a new one. In 6 months you are already behind.
    Heck, the processors have been plenty fast enough for me for quite a while now.

Network speeds are fine as well for my uses.

But I am not into gaming.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Buy a Dell. Get the fastest one they sell. You’ll be glad. High quality, good service should you need it

I’ve had three, and never needed service. They last so long you’ll buy another because of speed before it craps out.

ETA order it online and get exactly what you want.
    As far as I am concerned Dell does not exist, worst customer/warranty service, guaranteed to get someone in USA on warranty calls, but all my calls for warranty service went to numbskulls in Pakistan.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    As far as I am concerned Dell does not exist, worst customer/warranty service, guaranteed to get someone in USA on warranty calls, but all my calls for warranty service went to numbskulls in Pakistan.

Only ProSupport got USA service and they changed that last year. File a complaint. I wish more people would. Tech support especially on technical related calls needs to be native speakers of whatever language calls in.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Heck, the processors have been plenty fast enough for me for quite a while now.

Network speeds are fine as well for my uses.

But I am not into gaming.
    Agreed.
    The fact is that most people don't need the speed or processing power available on top end computers. Yeah, there are the gamers, but I really don't count them.

The average computer user, surfs the web, checks email, and maybe does their home finances. An old slow PC will do just fine for them.
    For my needs. my older computers may have been my primary tools at one time, but have been repuposed to drive displays for my customers to veiw photo proofs.

My primary computer on the other hand, is a multi layer Photoshop image processing beast that is capable of more than I am likely to ask of it. It would probably even be an adequate gaming system too, but I will leave that nonsense to the children who have time to waste on games. :cool:

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I'm currently using the PC tower I built several years ago and put Win !0 Pro on the drive. I put Corsair water cooling on it for the CPU with its fan on top of case, large fan on the side of the case, fans on front. I know I need to open it up and clean the fans at least. A hardwood floor can get lots of dust. However I can't physically lift the monster to take off the side panel and can't get on my arse on the floor to clean it. I don't have strength to get back up. Is a shame waiting for the fans to start working too hard because the dust on the blades then failing. But my CPU temps are ok and have enough fans to maybe keep it going. I believe a laptop only has one fan ?

Last edited:

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I have a desktop I am currently using, must be 10 years old. I upgraded the memory to its max 4 gb and a new network card so I can get over a 100Mbps . I am running ubuntu it it works fine for everything I do on it. The only exception was I wanted to play War thunder and I don't meet any of the specs for it .

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    Replacing noisy fans on most laptops is pretty straight forward. There are plenty of videos on YouTube and between EBAYor Amazon. Many times the fan kits come with the relevant screwdrivers. If you can clean a firearm, you can do many steps of computer repair. Cracked screens on phones and tablets I think twice about, but fans are replacement parts on most. Laptop Keyboards fun the gamut fro three srews and a plug to have to remelt plastic welds which is a nightmare.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'm currently using the PC tower I built several years ago and put Win !0 Pro on the drive. I put Corsair water cooling on it for the CPU with its fan on top of case, large fan on the side of the case, fans on front. I know I need to open it up and clean the fans at least. A hardwood floor can get lots of dust. However I can't physically lift the monster to take off the side panel and can't get on my arse on the floor to clean it. I don't have strength to get back up. Is a shame waiting for the fans to start working too hard because the dust on the blades then failing. But my CPU temps are ok and have enough fans to maybe keep it going. I believe a laptop only has one fan ?
    GIVEN THE SPACE CONSIDERATION OF A LAPTOP MOST USUALLY HAVE ONSMALL FAN!

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    GIVEN THE SPACE CONSIDERATION OF A LAPTOP MOST USUALLY HAVE ONSMALL FAN!
    Not sure about my current laptop, but my last macbook pro had two fans.
    I think the thing that helps the most is that when using mine it is on a stand that allows good air flow on the bottom. Again, not sure if my current laptop even has any fans but on the stand my old macbook pros fans rarely even came on.

Top Bottom