• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ready.Fire.Aim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is anyone else on this forum waiting on a LaRue PredatOBR?
    I was on the wait since 2012 and decided to cancel today and send their "banned" parts back to them.

I don't like the change to a take- down model and different trigger.

Now they have indefinite delays in barrels- Even though they promise to ship sometime with a field grade barrel and a coupon for a better barrel. That is like putting a Ford Pinto engine in a Maserati with a coupon for a Maserati engine.

It is the final issue that pushed me to go find a better manufacturer.

RFA
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Is anyone else on this forum waiting on a LaRue PredatOBR?
    I was on the wait since 2012 and decided to cancel today and send their "banned" parts back to them.

I don't like the change to a take- down model and different trigger.

Now they have indefinite delays in barrels- Even though they promise to ship sometime with a field grade barrel and a coupon for a better barrel. That is like putting a Ford Pinto engine in a Maserati with a coupon for a Maserati engine.

It is the final issue that pushed me to go find a better manufacturer.

RFA

I posted elsewhere on this board that when i found out about the design change, i cancelled my PredatOBR order.... and replaced it with a PredatAR. I'll swap the light barrel for a heavier contour when, or if, i ever get the rifle. LOL

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    I've been waiting on a 16" 7.62 PredatOBR since late 2012. I wasn't super happy with the design changes, but it does make the rifle pretty unique. I'm going to keep waiting. It took 11+ months to get my 16" 5.56 PredatAR. :/

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    Granted I like the old four bolt style more, I don't think it's reason, IMO, to cancel an order. I like the design intentions behind it but the application as far as looks could've looked better, IMO.

Now the fact that they've got people that have been waiting for over a year for their PredatOBR, yet shipped 250 Costa units this year, is kind of bullshit. The Costa rifles went up for sale over night, sold out extremely quick, and then delivered in a reasonable time all while in que OBR and PredatOBR orders got passed up. Kind of shitty pool to me. Quality blanks are out there. Making your own barrels, even if it's just getting a few at a time, doesn't seems like everyone should be stone walled into waiting for as long as they're asking people. Hell, Rainier Arms uses Shilen blanks for their super match barrels. If they can keep an assortment of various lengths and cailibers of Shilen blanks that they've machined to finished product continuously in stock and ready to ship, you would think that a company like LaRue wouldn't have as much trouble as they're trying to sell to everyone.

Last edited:

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    Not really unique when you consider LMT has had quick-change barrels for a long time now, but i guess the LaRue set up might save a few ounces of weight over the LMT's bulky barrel extension.

I have a LMT MRP upper, and the two designs are nothing alike. The uppers are completely different and the barrel attachment methods are completely different.

LMT MRP/MWS = one-piece monolithic upper with handguard that cannot be removed
    Larue PredatOBR = two-piece upper with quick detach handguard

LMT = quick-change barrel secured by two cross bolts
    Larue = barrel secured with conventional barrel nut

I personally don't consider the Larue to be a "quick-change" barrel any more than other designs that require you to secure the upper in a vice and wrench on a barrel nut to a specified torque range. Of course, the Larue videos show just doing this on a tabletop... but for consistent accuracy, I would be placing my upper in a vice and wrenching the barrel nut to the same torque spec. In reality, I will probably won't ever remove the barrel, just like my MRP.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I have a LMT MRP upper, and the two designs are nothing alike. The uppers are completely different and the barrel attachment methods are completely different.

LMT MRP/MWS = one-piece monolithic upper with handguard that cannot be removed
    Larue PredatOBR = two-piece upper with quick detach handguard

LMT = quick-change barrel secured by two cross bolts
    Larue = barrel secured with conventional barrel nut

I personally don't consider the Larue to be a "quick-change" barrel any more than other designs that require you to secure the upper in a vice and wrench on a barrel nut to a specified torque range. Of course, the Larue videos show just doing this on a tabletop... but for consistent accuracy, I would be placing my upper in a vice and wrenching the barrel nut to the same torque spec. In reality, I will probably won't ever remove the barrel, just like my MRP.

Then i was mistaken. Thanks for clarifying. And now i am even more perplexed and disappointed by the new design.

Top Bottom