• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rack04

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    My wife is hell bent on having a laser on her Ruger SR9C. I was thinking about getting her the streamlight tlr4 so she would have a laser and light. The problem is she won't want it installed when she carries. After I get it installed and sighted in will I have to repeat each time she reinstalls or is the mount consistent?
    Capitol Armory ad

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Just installed a viridian c5l w green lasar on my wife's xds

The light is not meant as bright as my tlr1 hp but for close quarters it's fine

Very small unit

Green laser is crazy bright, I can light up the top of the cell tower behind my house, easily 1/4+ mi away

Got it for $230

I wouldn't think you would need to readjust, esp for 5-10 yds. The viridian is very easy to install and adjust w the tool provided

I recommend the c5l green now!

sent from my phone far far away, still monitored by NSA

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My wife is hell bent on having a laser on her Ruger SR9C. I was thinking about getting her the streamlight tlr4 so she would have a laser and light. The problem is she won't want it installed when she carries. After I get it installed and sighted in will I have to repeat each time she reinstalls or is the mount consistent?

It should be fine. I check mine on a far wall with the iron sights. It is pretty close after reinstalling the unit.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The only brand I would ever recommend for a pistol laser is Crimson Trace. Most others out there offer significantly less durability and reliability, or significant performance problems.

Light laser combos are the worst. Never mind the fact that the activation method is typically not that intuitive to use, but they also position the laser typically 2+ inches off from the bore. You absolutely must do a parallel zero with a light/laser combo setup, otherwise your shots will be significantly off before or after your zero range. Basically, there are a whole lot of problems with this type of setup that you just do not want to deal with.

As far as Crimson Trace, the main model they make for the SR9 is NOT one I would recommend. It is a trigger guard laser. This mounting setup is not robust, and offers some serious performance problems in that it will not maintain a zero as consistently as their other style laser grips that actually replace or fit around other gun grips. These are a no go in my opinion.

I would ask your wife why she is so hell bent on having a laser. I hate to say it but, every time I have had a customer hell bent on having a laser on their handgun, it's usually due to a lack of training or unrealistic ideas about what they think the laser is going to accomplish for them. Although lasers can offer some useful capabilities in certain situations, I usually tell people they are better off focusing on mastering the fundamentals, mastering things like drawstroke and retention fire, and not giving themselves a false sense of confidence by worrying about putting all sorts of gadgets on their gun. I don't mean that to sound harsh, I just don't like to see people fool themselves into a false sense of self confidence.

rack04

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    The only brand I would ever recommend for a pistol laser is Crimson Trace. Most others out there offer significantly less durability and reliability, or significant performance problems.

Light laser combos are the worst. Never mind the fact that the activation method is typically not that intuitive to use, but they also position the laser typically 2+ inches off from the bore. You absolutely must do a parallel zero with a light/laser combo setup, otherwise your shots will be significantly off before or after your zero range. Basically, there are a whole lot of problems with this type of setup that you just do not want to deal with.

As far as Crimson Trace, the main model they make for the SR9 is NOT one I would recommend. It is a trigger guard laser. This mounting setup is not robust, and offers some serious performance problems in that it will not maintain a zero as consistently as their other style laser grips that actually replace or fit around other gun grips. These are a no go in my opinion.

I would ask your wife why she is so hell bent on having a laser. I hate to say it but, every time I have had a customer hell bent on having a laser on their handgun, it's usually due to a lack of training or unrealistic ideas about what they think the laser is going to accomplish for them. Although lasers can offer some useful capabilities in certain situations, I usually tell people they are better off focusing on mastering the fundamentals, mastering things like drawstroke and retention fire, and not giving themselves a false sense of confidence by worrying about putting all sorts of gadgets on their gun. I don't mean that to sound harsh, I just don't like to see people fool themselves into a false sense of self confidence.

Thanks for the well thought out and presented reply. The wife wants a laser because she thinks 1) It will scare the intruder way without ever shooting and 2) she wants the be able to point and aim, in low light, without looking down the sights.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I have had no problems whatsoever with my Surefire and Streamlight laser/light units, but the Surefire is a bit more intuitive to use for me. Both get removed and reinstalled periodically, and return close to zero every time. I had such a horrible experience with my Viridian, and lackluster CS, that i would never recommend them.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom