Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ahhh, makes more sense now.

I wouldn't mind having a laser, but don't think it would get much use other than to see how much I'm actually moving. Might be good for dry fire practice but I'm not worth the money for me. I'd rather have a good light. Maybe a laser/light combo.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    That little red or green beam of light originating near the end of you gun barrel makes a good target for the bad guy, if he is armed and gets the drop on you in the dark. A police Detective friend of mine recommends a strobe light. An extremely bright light [especially if it strobes] will startle or confuse an intruder maybe long enough for you to get the drop on him. None of my weapons have either. My home defense pistol has tridium night sights and my home defense shotgun doesn't need anything.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Lasers are fine to add to iron sighted guns. They are a tool. They are a supplement. They won't get you killed any easier than anything else. You don't have to turn them on. It's overcast today (but not dark) about lunch time. I can easily see my laser (red) on a tree trunk about 50 yds. away. I can't use iron sights effectively at 50 yd. targets because of my vision. Best scenario ..............have both.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Lasers are great benefit if you are in an awkward position and can't take an aimed shot.

That said, I don't like the way the ones I have had felt on my grip so I only use Tritium sights.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    The scenario explained to me by my police officer friend is this. You are awakened in your home by an apparent intruder. You grab your handy laser equiped pistol and investigate. The house is dark and the intruder is lurking in the shadows. The moment you enable your laser, it lets him know exactly where you are and that you are probably armed with something more dangerous than a lecture pointer. He now has a more defined target than you do, unless you just happen to tag him with your laser on the first attempt. I don't care one way or the other if someone wants a laser on their pistol. I am just reporting information passed on to me by a long time Fort Worth police officer. Things that mount on or near my trigger bother me. Bothered the hell out of a Dallas cop that got shot [he died] by a fellow police officer when the guy was trying to flip on his flashlight during a drug raid a few years ago. Being proficient with a firearm means being comfortable with the weapon. If you like things hanging on your firearm, knock yourself out.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    That was my opinion too...until it was pointed out to me that the slightest bit of dust in the air will create a sparkling red or green line straight back to where the laser is.

Eh, no, it won't. It takes a lot more than a tiny bit of dust to be able to back-track the beam like that. If that were the case, then you'd be able to see the beam every time you activated the friggin' thing. I can say from experience that anything short of a dust storm or smoke-filled room will NOT let the other guy track the beam.

As for the emitter (for lack of a better term) on the gun giving away your position, there are ways around that as well. Small piece of window tint stuck over the hole will obscure the source while still allowing the beam to pass through.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Eh, no, it won't. It takes a lot more than a tiny bit of dust to be able to back-track the beam like that. If that were the case, then you'd be able to see the beam every time you activated the friggin' thing. I can say from experience that anything short of a dust storm or smoke-filled room will NOT let the other guy track the beam.

Going by my own experience, that beam was visible with just a little dust. YMMV. I'll qualify the statement with the fact that we were shooting outdoors.

Top Bottom