• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glockrocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have a lasermax in my glock, Absolutely love it. Only con is, it sometimes gets triggered on when I'm firing the gun, and if its daylight, I wont notice it. Ive been through several batteries that way.

txpolecat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    I dont like them much. At the typical defensive shooting ranges of 10m and in, a draw and double tap to centermass should be instinctive and more of a point and shoot case. I would think that trying to find the laser dot and walk it onto the target would be slower.

The case could be made that if you have a laser sight you wouldnt need night-sights, I suppose.

With that said I've never used one besides on an air rifle.
    That lasermax one is the assembly mounted inside the quide rod right? I can get behind those more than the slightly goofy looking crimson trace ones that are seemingly everywhere.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I dont like them much. At the typical defensive shooting ranges of 10m and in, a draw and double tap to centermass should be instinctive and more of a point and shoot case. I would think that trying to find the laser dot and walk it onto the target would be slower.

The case could be made that if you have a laser sight you wouldnt need night-sights, I suppose.

I don't own any laser-equipped handguns, but...

Polecat, you make a couple good points in support of learning to shoot with iron sights, i.e., learn and master the basics. Most instructors will tell you that you are only hurting yourself if you come to rely only on the laser. IMO, the laser is more of a backup system, for times when you might not be able to acquire a decent sight picture, like laying on the ground and firing from behind cover. And like you said, in poor light...where aging eyes such as mine have a hard time seeing the sights.

txpolecat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    I don't own any laser-equipped handguns, but...

Polecat, you make a couple good points in support of learning to shoot with iron sights, i.e., learn and master the basics. Most instructors will tell you that you are only hurting yourself if you come to rely only on the laser. IMO, the laser is more of a backup system, for times when you might not be able to acquire a decent sight picture, like laying on the ground and firing from behind cover. And like you said, in poor light...where aging eyes such as mine have a hard time seeing the sights.

Exactly. Being able to handle and know your firearm without even having to check the sights at 'typical' self-defense ranges is paramount. I know plenty of codgers (respectfully!) that use the laser to supplement their years of practice. My father is similarly plagued with failing eyesight, and has his carry pieces' sights orange and yellow. Even then, and even with nightsights, he has trouble with the low light firing.

Cant wait to get there..... :banghead:

glockrocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I shoot the hell out of my g22 and would like to think I'm a little more then deadly with it at up to 25 yards, but something about having that surefire x300 light up an entire room while beaming in on (and temporarily blinding) any target with the lasermax (yes, internal laser) flashing and riding dead center of the beam, makes this my pillow gun and I'm confident that no matter what kind of half-awake state I might be in when I need to react, I'll have both that light and laser activated in fraction of a second and have my index back on the trigger, and the rest will be game over. just identify and shoot. Like pointing a flashlight at somebody and accessing the threat, barely even have to think about aiming. <-I hope that doesn't get misread.

awmp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    I have Crimson Trace grips on several pistols, good training tool for dry fire practice, not a replacement for sights, but can help you shoot in several different shooting positions , just another tool in the tool box.

LittleGun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    I have Crimson Trace Grips on my Sig P239. Lasers are excellent for dry practice because it is easy to tell when I flinch. For normal shooting, I prefer regular sighting, but I practice using the laser in case I don't have opportunity for normal sighting. With a laser, I can sight from almost any position and have confidence in the shot. One of the things I practice at home is hiding behind the couch or other things and sighting with minimal exposure. The laser allows me to hide more of body and head while sighting. Whatever one uses, practice is the key.

bfm0072

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Georgetown
    I have been a littke behind reading due to work. Many thanks to those who posted thier thoughts and opinions. Thanks for the video link Sig_Friend. This is very helpful.

Top Bottom