• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    I headed out on Dec 19 to help out a couple of landowners who had reported to me that hogs were damaging their property during the previous 2 or 3 weeks. I had hunted both properties during that time and taken a few hogs, but the damage was continuing. This was up in Montague County, near the towns of Saint Jo and Capps Corner.

The video will show the hunts which turned out pretty well and there are some good shots and some exciting shots. What isn't clearly explained in the video is the bizarre incident of the guy messing with my truck.

After shooting hogs on my first property and loading the hogs in the back of my truck, I made it to my second property where a cursory scan revealed that I had hogs out in the field about 300 yards off the road (and up hill from the road). This is at about 10-10:30 pm. Because I could see the hogs and because it had rained the day before and I wasn't supposed to drive into the landowner's field when it was too wet, I parked the truck up next to the fence where the grass grabbed my rifle, and headed to the gate where I could gain entry quietly. I have parked in this location numerous times during the previous 3 years.

Going over the fence, I heard a car approaching and I ducked down in the field when it got close. We always do this so that the headlights don't illuminate us on the way to shoot. The car passed and I continued my stalk, only I heard the car turn around and then come back and it pulled in headlong to my truck. Interesting.

The guy from the car (Subaru Forester, I believe) gets out with a flashlight and does a quick scan of the truck and then scans the field with his light. I am too far out for his light to pick me out from the background. He then proceeded to the truck and looked in all the windows with his light, looked in the back at my dead hogs, looked at the front end and the back end. He goes back to his car and I think he is just checking to see if I didn't have some sort of medical emergency. However, he doesn't leave.

The guy gets out of his car, scans the field again and I tried to wave to him when the light passed over me, but he doesn't see me again. I am not going to shout out because I have hogs to hunt. He then goes over to my truck and starts messing with the driver side door and I am thinking he is attempting to gain entry and that things might get real in a hurry. He appears to give up on that, looks in the truck some more with his light and returns to his car and then leaves. Weird.

I continue my hunt. His commotion and such had pushed the hogs over to the other side of the hill, but I found them. When I return, I find that he had affixed flagging tape to the door my my vehicle. Really Weird.

Thinking the guy had flagged my vehicle the game warden or for law enforcement, I contacted the game warden and asked if he was looking for me and explained the situation. He said he had no reports and would get with the Sheriff's Office and let me know if they had a report on my vehicle. No reports had been made. Checked with the landowner, nobody had contacted him (such as a neighbor concerned about a strange vehicle parked along his fence).

It has been suggested to me that the guy flagged my vehicle so that other drivers would not stop and inspect it to see if there was somebody inside. This is the sort of thing down with crashed vehicles that can't be towed immediately or cars abandoned in floods or snow storms, only my truck wasn't crashed and the weather was beautiful.

A lot of strange things go on at night. I just prefer they happen to someone else, LOL.
    Venture Surplus ad

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    That guy is lucky he didn’t have a rifle pointed at him...I think I would have high-tailed it to my truck to see what he was up to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I don't suppose you got his license plate number?

I would have chalked him as a concerned citizen until you saw him try your front door handle.

The flagging is super weird.

Possibly: Drunk/Crazy/Garden Variety Busybody/Anti-Hunter?

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I understand you didn't want to ruin your stalk, but had it been me I would have definitely approached the person. With full caution of course. Good hunt though besides the strange encounter.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    That guy is lucky he didn’t have a rifle pointed at him...I think I would have high-tailed it to my truck to see what he was up to.

Sure, he was "lucky" on many levels.

As a rural volunteer FF, we would flag such vehicles (especially during inclement weather) to let others know that vehicle had been checked so they didn’t have to stop to check.

That is the thing, the weather wasn't bad. The weather was beautiful. I have parked there numerous times in the past. Just freaking weird.

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Ya really should steer clear of them bad-asses that drive Subaru Foresters. That's a clue right up there same as havin' "HELL SPAWN" tattooed across his face. If'n ya remove the tape, yer marked fer death.

Top Bottom