• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I think I must have got one of the last ones available (surplus ammo). 1260 rounds for $300. 24 cents a round! Found them just when all this started.
    ARJ Defense ad

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    No, just lead slugs. I guess jacketed would be nice too, but you need a pretty hefty press for that from what I understand.

You would definitely need a really tough press for jacketed. One that you could get a lot of leverage on.

No, I don't swage lead either. It's not practical for what I do, and from what I understand, it's usually done with pretty soft lead. Softer than what I tend to use. The alloy I've settled into is good for pretty much everything other than black powder. I've used it in soft shooting 32s, full house 44 mag loads, and in 2100 FPS rifle loads.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    You would definitely need a really tough press for jacketed. One that you could get a lot of leverage on.

No, I don't swage lead either. It's not practical for what I do, and from what I understand, it's usually done with pretty soft lead. Softer than what I tend to use. The alloy I've settled into is good for pretty much everything other than black powder. I've used it in soft shooting 32s, full house 44 mag loads, and in 2100 FPS rifle loads.
    Ah okay. I was looking into something like that for feeding a PCP air rifle for a super SHTF survive past all supply availability thing.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ah okay. I was looking into something like that for feeding a PCP air rifle for a super SHTF survive past all supply availability thing.

That's an interesting idea. What caliber would it be? I'd imagine you'd want it to be a pretty big caliber so that you could get away with a lot less velocity. What I would do is find out the exact inside diameter of your barrel, get a very slightly oversized mold for it if possible and some lee sizing dies that are either the exact diameter, or 0.001" over so that they seal well in the barrel, and cast pure lead bullets, or 40:1, 30:1, or 20:1 lead/tin alloy bullets for it. I'm not sure if you'd need lube since the bullets won't have to deal with super hot gas violently propelling them down the barrel, but it might not hurt. Maybe tumble lube? That's the cheapest/easiest way to lube other than just smearing crisco all over the bullets. Powdercoating would probably also work well.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    That's an interesting idea. What caliber would it be? I'd imagine you'd want it to be a pretty big caliber so that you could get away with a lot less velocity. What I would do is find out the exact inside diameter of your barrel, get a very slightly oversized mold for it if possible and some lee sizing dies that are either the exact diameter, or 0.001" over so that they seal well in the barrel, and cast pure lead bullets, or 40:1, 30:1, or 20:1 lead/tin alloy bullets for it. I'm not sure if you'd need lube since the bullets won't have to deal with super hot gas violently propelling them down the barrel, but it might not hurt. Maybe tumble lube? That's the cheapest/easiest way to lube other than just smearing crisco all over the bullets. Powdercoating would probably also work well.
    I'd think it would need to be 30 or 35 caliber to be reasonably effective. That's right on the edge of what you could take a deer with. And you should be able to use rifle/handgun bullets for it if you need.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Went to the G&S Gunshow in Conway, AR this past weekend. Nice show, fairly large. Lots of old guns and new.

Had a table there. Ammo like 9mm Blazer brass FMJ was easily selling for $25 per box, sometimes up to $30.00 per box that I observed. I am aware of someone who bought two boxes of it at the show for $20 each, then turned around and sold them for $25 each probably an hour later. 32 ACP was going for $25 - $30 per box - not asking price but the actual selling price for FMJ ammo. 5.56 NATO had asking prices well over a buck per round at several tables but I don't know for how much they actually sold. Wish I had brought along whatever 380 ACP ammo I have around my apartment. It would have sold like gold. I must have had 20 people, over the course of two days asking for it. Firearms were almost all marked at a premium too. A basic looking PSA AR-15 had asking price of $1,200 and Bulgarian AK with milled receiver had an asking price of $1,500. Lowest priced ARs were $649.00; they were all built by the seller as i understand with Anderson lowers, unknown to me uppers and parts kits (supposedly all USA made parts). The few uppers I saw there were priced from around $400 (BCA) to close to the price of AR-15s (RRA)!

I imagine it is only going to get worse through the elections in November. Be afraid, very afraid. Biden may not win but if the Dems get the majority in the Senate and hold the house we will be screwed almost the same. If they do that and Biden also gets in, we are doomed. Go to vote, urge your family members to vote - DO NOT TAKE IT FOR GRANTED THAT TRUMP WILL BE REELECTED - VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE - bring out your dead and have them vote, they may not be dead yet!:rolleyes: Seriously folks - make certain to vote.

Top Bottom