SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Lately, there has been a lot of posts and threads about law enforcement. Frequently it devolves into an LE bash fest. We understand that some of you are just not fans of LE. That's fine, and that's your right. That being said, it is important that we do not alienate entire groups of people from our site. I don't care whether it is groups of people based on their gender, sexual orientation, political affiliation, etc. We do ourselves a disservice by each group that we further distance ourselves from.

There is a large number of TGT members that actively serve in various local, state, regional, and federal LE capacities. They're gun owners, enthusiasts, and CIVILIANS just like you. I think it's important to remember that. We need to get away from the "us vs them mentality". "Us vs. them" is an age old tactic for dividing, conquering, and weakening a group.

What I would ask from all of you is that, in the future, consider your words. It is easy to jump to conclusions based on emotions and the sensationalism sold by the media. We're inundated with it every day. Those conclusions can often be wrong. All I will say is, it's important to reserve judgment until you have the facts. We need to make an effort to think our words through more carefully. Ask yourself, what are the facts? If it is a factual, logical argument, that's fine. Irrational over-emotionalism is not. I would appreciate your help with this so we can improve morale for everyone around here.
    Texas SOT

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Can I suggest also understanding the difference between disagreeing with/criticizing the actions of one police officer and bashing the entire law enforcement community?

That seems to be a charge thrown out early and often in these sorts of threads, which invariably causes the conversation to degenerate into ad hominem attacks just as reliably as the cop-bashing statements. Emotions can run high on both sides of the issue, with certain folks always (like clockwork, even) making blanket statements regarding whether LEO is always right or always wrong.

It kills the discussion in regards to specific incidents and turns the threads into bash-fests.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Can I suggest also understanding the difference between disagreeing with/criticizing the actions of one police officer and bashing the entire law enforcement community?

That seems to be a charge thrown out early and often in these sorts of threads, which invariably causes the conversation to degenerate into ad hominem attacks just as reliably as the cop-bashing statements. Emotions can run high on both sides of the issue, with certain folks always (like clockwork, even) making blanket statements regarding whether LEO is always right or always wrong.

It kills the discussion in regards to specific incidents and turns the threads into bash-fests.

Beat me to it! +1

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Absolutely. There needs to be greater understanding from both sides. That's why it's my opinion that it's always a good idea to reserve judgment until all the facts are available. Does that mean no threads on LE, ever? No. If it's something factual, logical, etc. that's fine. It's a good idea for us to consider the impact with the way we phrase and title things, and the sentiments that can generate that may negatively influence people's interaction on the site. If, for example, someone is posting in regards to one of those uncommon "bad apples" in LE that has committed some crime or been involved in something controversial, so be it. Whether it's Mil/LE/civilian, if you screw up to a serious degree, your mistakes will be aired widely.

That, by itself, does NOT constitute something being anti-LE or anti-Mil, or even anti-civilian. Now, if the same person's threads are literally on the same subject ALL the time...such as posting negative threads about LE ALL the time, yeah, they need to change their tune and post something else from time to time, as there is probably some underlying intention there.

Walk a mile in another person's shoes. That's all I will say, and it goes both ways.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    My problem is every thread started to point out some LE wrong doing is biased from the get go. "Guy only gets three years for murder cause he is a cop". Does it ever stop, cop shoots dog".

I could go on and on, but the theme is "see, cops fucked up, thats all they do.". Most often with little or no real facts to make a judgment. Often those who do make judgments have no idea about policy, procedures, or have ever been involved in use of force. It is fine to ask questions, but these posts start out denigrating the entire profession.

I could pick YOUR profession and post negative news articles about the actions of people in it. For example, I know we have a mechanic as a member. I could do a number on that. Often. Truck drivers, etc.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    My problem is every thread started to point out some LE wrong doing is biased from the get go. "Guy only gets three years for murder cause he is a cop". Does it ever stop, cop shoots dog".

I could go on and on, but the theme is "see, cops fucked up, thats all they do.". Most often with little or no real facts to make a judgment. Often those who do make judgments have no idea about policy, procedures, or have ever been involved in use of force. It is fine to ask questions, but these posts start out denigrating the entire profession.

I could pick YOUR profession and post negative news articles about the actions of people in it. For example, I know we have a mechanic as a member. I could do a number on that. Often. Truck drivers, etc.

What he said^^^ Except don't pick on old people!:p

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Two comments:

First, the best example I can think of for people who don't deserve the negative attitudes directed toward them are IRS employees.

Second, I'd be happy if people would just acknowledge that anecdotes, even personal ones, are not data.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I would think that it should be for all groups and not single out any. Just saying.
    Yes except for the 1911 guys.

Ok I apologize. Seriously I had to take a break from here for a couple months, because of the flooded posts bashing one group or another. Everyone is entitled to your opinion, but that does not mean it needs to be spelled out across the boards. Just walk away if you don't agree and are getting to the point of being offensive. We all have one thing in common here. Or two I should say. We love guns and Texas. We should stick together for those reasons.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW

The car can still be fixed whereas the humans and dogs will always be dead.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I in general I respect the members of law enforcement but I also realize that there are a few bad apples and that these are the ones we oft times hear about in news articles. The average LEO (the majority) we never hear about.

I don't respect people who seem to blame all LEOs when these type of stories come up nor do I respect people in denial that can't accept the fact that there are rotten apples out there.

We all need to keep in mind that the media seldom get the facts right. A great philosophizer (my Grandmother) once said "Don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see".

Last edited:

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood

Another +1

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i'm a little amused that a board that so vehemently stands for one amendment - wants to squash the comments and thoughts of those who have a differing opinion

look - i'm as pro LE as you can get - but put on your big boy pants - if you allow some schmuck on the internet to get under your skin because they have an opinion different than yours or because they bash your profession

kinda dumb if you ask me - dont give power to those who dont have it

and thats my devils advocate food for thought post of the day!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom