• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    Drive belt broke on my Ariens lawn tractor. OK, got the new belt and pull the deck, no big deal. Then look in the Operator Manual and it shows drive belt routing. They omitted the fact that the clutch has to be pushed all the way in to feed the belt over the idler pulley. Its 98F in the driveway and I am an old man and really need to RANT! WHY not put this critical bit in their brain dead install instructions? FYI... did figure it out after about getting heat stroke.
    Target Sports

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Drive belt broke on my Ariens lawn tractor. OK, got the new belt and pull the deck, no big deal. Then look in the Operator Manual and it shows drive belt routing. They omitted the fact that the clutch has to be pushed all the way in to feed the belt over the idler pulley. Its 98F in the driveway and I am an old man and really need to RANT! WHY not put this critical bit in their brain dead install instructions? FYI... did figure it out after about getting heat stroke.

George, everyone knows you have to push the clutch in all the way to get the belt on.

Didn't you get the memo I sent out?

Seriously, sometimes I wonder exactly who writes out the operator's manuals on some things!

wiredgeorge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    Dang, that mower was in better shape than mine! Also, to miss 37 times when trying to hit that container that was flaming... embarrassing!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    George, you got off easy of all you had to do was push the clutch in to replace a belt. On my previous mower, one of the drive belts for the transaxle was really fun to replace!

My current mower, to replace the deck belts, you have to drop the rear deck hanger brackets to be able to remove and replace the deck belts, and it has two deck belts!

wiredgeorge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    Only one deck belt and it was in good shape. The drive belt was cracking and worn. If I did this job again, it wouldn't take near as long.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    My lawn tractor is 17 years old and I keep waiting for the belt to break. Don't know if I could even find a replacement. Maybe I'll just buy a new mower when the belt breaks. Yeah, that's the ticket. The seat has a tear in it anyway.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    My lawn tractor is 17 years old and I keep waiting for the belt to break. Don't know if I could even find a replacement. Maybe I'll just buy a new mower when the belt breaks. Yeah, that's the ticket. The seat has a tear in it anyway.

If you know the belt number or size, you can cross reference it from the Gates Belt website. Then once you have the Gates part number, you can order it from most any auto parts store. That's what I did with mine on my current mower. It was manufactured in 1994!

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Lost a rod and cracked the case yesterday while mowing....2001 Craftsman 19.5 HP Briggs and Stratton.....got 19 years out of that engine .......so wasn't too surprised it finally gave up the ghost.....but I still needed to finish mowing.....picked up this 19 HP
    B&S today from Northern Tool for $560.00...cheaper than buying a new mower............install was fairly quick...electrical connections were the same, had to reposition the choke and throttle cable, but otherwise easy peasy....had to tap the mounting holes, but not a hard job......

20200921_185948.jpg
    20200921_190347.jpg
    20200921_203502.jpg

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    My 1973 Craftsman with a 18hp B&S finally gave up the ghost this year. I had been able to buy parts from Sears all these years. Went out and bought a new Cub Cadet...... made in the USA and very fast and easy to mow with.

Top Bottom