• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If a plastic gas tank is cracked, you can bet the rest of the tank is deteriorated just as badly. The molecular structure of the material has lost it's 'plasticity'. And no longer has any structural integrity.
    Unless there was an impact, or poor design that created a stress riser, you could be correct.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Super glue only works on certain types of plastic. Super glue is just an acid. It doesn't react to all plastics. I plastic weld with a screwdriver tip heated to cherry and don't use filler. My repairs are not structural or visible.

It’s not just an acid. It’s acid stabilized, but that’s to keep them from going bad before use. It also means CA glues won’t cure well on acidic surfaces. Extremely dry materials can also cause some issues, which may be a problem for certain plastics. Especially old, dry, brittle plastics.

Epoxy as others have mentions will probably work well and slower drying epoxies tend to be more flexible. But surface prep would be key for a good bond. They tend to be fairly fuel resistant.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Patching or repairing a fuel tank is a sketchy deal any way you go about doing it, or regardless of the method used, especially with a plastic fuel tank. I would only suggest as means of a temporary repair, or in the case a replacement could not be found. If possible, I'd replace the tank. Also need to determine what caused the tank to fail. Was it just old age and the tank was brittle? Was it rubbing on something that caused the failure? Was something thrown at the tank causing the failure?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Patching or repairing a fuel tank is a sketchy deal any way you go about doing it, or regardless of the method used, especially with a plastic fuel tank. I would only suggest as means of a temporary repair, or in the case a replacement could not be found. If possible, I'd replace the tank. Also need to determine what caused the tank to fail. Was it just old age and the tank was brittle? Was it rubbing on something that caused the failure? Was something thrown at the tank causing the failure?

Wrap that fucker in fiberglass and resin :usflag:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've used it in a few RC projects. Typically it's not too bad as long as you are ready for what you want to do when you start and have VERY sharp scissors. Dull scissors pull and fray the fabric. Only handle the fiberglass to cut as needed then set aside. Mix resin, and once you mush the fiberglass cloth in the resin the fibers are pretty much trapped. Lay it out as needed, scrap excess resin, let it cure, and brush on extra layers or add another layer of fiberglass if needed.

Trying to do a fiberglass form....never messed with that and probably much worse.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Having SEEN fiberglass repair ONCE, I refuse to do fiberglass repair EVER!
    bea-dog.gif

Top Bottom