• ...and so much more!
  • franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Sooooo, question-

In Texas, with stand your ground, at what point may someone use deadly force on someone who violates a restraining order?

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Honestly, I'm thinking if this dude shows up on her doorstep, she has all the right in the world to just gun him down on the spot. She has every reason to be in fear for her life. Why else would he take the steps to find her and show up on her doorstep given their past?

It may be a good thing for anyone who knows otherwise to go ahead and speak up about it.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    So I am guessing, PI licensed to carry? No tresspass signs, restraining orders, past trouble and assault. I hate running, it never ends. Like I said, be ready for him to make a mistake. If he shows up, he did.

from an non-recovering coffeeholic

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    If you know the number to a cell phone it can be traced. Not sure of the mechanics but it has been done plenty of times by people not in law enforcement. Cell phones are incredibly unsecure. The group 4chan is notorious for being able to figure out this information.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    So I am guessing, PI licensed to carry? No trespass signs, restraining orders, past trouble and assault. I hate running, it never ends. Like I said, be ready for him to make a mistake. If he shows up, he did.

from an non-recovering coffeeholic

A Texas-based PI with an arrest and restraining order should be reported to DPS so they can re-examine his status as a licensed PI. Depending on the RO, it may also affect his ability to have/use his CHL, possess weapons, etc. I'm not for the blanket-removal of weapons/rights, but there are procedures in place to evaluate this and those should be put to use.

Also, she should be reminded that RO's are not bullet-resistant - they're Class 0A armor.

Savage805

blueberry in tomato soup
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    paradise, ATX
    Has this harassment continued even after the move to Texas? If not I wouldn't do anything except gather information until he starts again.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    The harassment has been as recent as Monday. He got his warning. We're looking into bringing the restraining order down here today, and then I'm just getting a few things on standby in case he does push forward.

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Honestly, I'm thinking if this dude shows up on her doorstep, she has all the right in the world to just gun him down on the spot. She has every reason to be in fear for her life. Why else would he take the steps to find her and show up on her doorstep given their past?

It may be a good thing for anyone who knows otherwise to go ahead and speak up about it.

bump

still curious

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I talked to an attorney with Texas Law Shield today.

The guy coming all the way here and showing up isn't enough cause to shoot. However, if you stay patient and let them give you reason to shoot (attempting to break in your home, brandishing a weapon, etc) you're good to go.

Trespassing only-no go.
    tresspassing in addition to a crime-shoot away.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI

Given the shit in this thread, I'd probably shoot the bastard myself if I had the chance. I know from personal experience that ROs do jack **** to stop the target of the RO from getting close to you - especially not if the person who took out the RO doesn't enforce it. Depending on the wording of the RO, any form of contact -at all- from the target can be grounds for his immediate arrest.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I talked to an attorney with Texas Law Shield today.

The guy coming all the way here and showing up isn't enough cause to shoot. However, if you stay patient and let them give you reason to shoot (attempting to break in your home, brandishing a weapon, etc) you're good to go.

Trespassing only-no go.
    tresspassing in addition to a crime-shoot away.

Addition to a crime meaning acting aggressive and waving the knife found next to the body type of crime ............. :)

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    We're probably not going to go with the RO. I was talking to an officer today and he told me that will give away where she is.

He said she should get a PO box and have that put on her DL when she gets it switched to Texas. Then it will lead to a dead end. He brought up the part about getting the pre-paid phone. He explained how it works, but basically the only people that can trace those are the NSA. Not even 911 can trace those for an emergency location. He gave a few tips about using lifelock and some google app that lets you know every time someone does a search of your name. He even touched on kicking social media, but if she just has to have it-the things not to do with it. The biggest thing is make sure not to post any pics of the places she hangs out and not have any friends tag her in any photos of places they've been with her. Second was to make sure that none of her friends know this guy. If they do-they get kicked. Based off of that, I think she'll be safe with FB. She uses it to keep in contact with family and friends.

I thought those were some good pointers for you guys more just as a general item. If y'all ever need to lay low in the future-there's some good tips along with other things put in this thread. It seemed like some people have started following it more to learn a few tricks, so there they are.

As of now, I think I'm gonna take a few steps to cover my ass in case this dude figures out who I am, and help her take the last of the steps we've learned but haven't had a chance to knock out yet. Other than that, it's just gonna be live life normal and don't let this guy worry her too much. All I can do is help her take the right steps to lay low, take some of those steps myself, and continue being happy with life. I know in this thread, I seem to be a little heavy on trying to take proper steps against this guy but I can assure you that she's been feeling much better about things since I've stepped in and I'm not too overly worried myself. Now comes the fun part-showing her how much Texas has changed since she last lived here and getting her some range time :D

As far as the public forum is concerned-she's just someone that's been put in a not so great situation and isn't sure what to do, and I just so happen to be good at figuring out what to do (asking you guys, TLS, local LEO, etc) and applying it. I don't really want to go any further than that.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    One thing I DID catch at the police station, and I'm glad I do know a LITTLE bit about the law otherwise I would have just gone along with what the officer said....the officer I was talking to was very adamant about the fact that Texas is a "Duty to retreat" state and only Law Enforcement aren't required to do so. He told me to "google it" and "educate myself". Luckily, I hang out on places like Texas Gun Talk and INSTANTLY knew he was wrong-even tried to correct him that Texas is actually a "Stand your ground" state. I called TLS immediately after leaving his office to make sure I haven't missed out on any recent law changes and they confirmed that the only time you would want to retreat is if you were trying to set up a tactical advantage or you needed to ready your weapon. Apparently it's been that way since 2007. I'm half compelled to go find that law and drop it by his office. He was spot on with everything else, but he could use some touching up on that one thing.

Top Bottom