• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    We had a deer lease there for a number of years. Property got sold and we lost it. It's a very nice area. I'd love to find a place to hunt there again. Leona Cafe is great (except for the crowd) and there are a couple of decent places to eat in Madisonville. Congrats on the new place!!
    Capitol Armory ad

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    We had a deer lease there for a number of years. Property got sold and we lost it. It's a very nice area. I'd love to find a place to hunt there again. Leona Cafe is great (except for the crowd) and there are a couple of decent places to eat in Madisonville. Congrats on the new place!!
    We stopped @ the newer Woody's Smokehouse West of 45 with the realtor. Guy was doing temperature log on the steam table, yet my chopped beef was cold. Potato salad seemed like it was thawing out from being in a freezer.

The day before a buddy of mine wanted to check out the place. It was dark out by the time we hit 45 so he wanted to eat. We stopped @ Rancho Express & it sucked pretty bad too.

The wife has a cousin in Buffalo hopefully he knows some places to eat. I told the wife Buffalo might be where we will have to go. We drove past a cafe in Jewett that was closed. I realize the chicom beer flu has screwed many a mom & pop places.

More reason to buy a smoker & do it myself. The home owner said she drives to Groesbeck for groceries. The wife said now she can take her mom grocery shopping in Teague & Walmart in Mexia. I told her not to spend my money in Chicom-mart!

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Welcome to the neighborhood! I live just north of you in Freestone County. For restaurants, definitely put The Pharm in Buffalo and Country Cousins in Centerville on your list. A short drive north will lead you to Sam's Restaurant and Ponte's Diner, also good places.

For a shooting range, you have the Leon County Gun Club in Oakwood. Check in with Archie at Buffalo Sporting Goods for more info.

If you need a tour guide, let me know. I worked in that area for awhile. I'm still familiar with it.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    We stopped @ Ponte's on the way back from looking at places in Corsicana @ the wife suggestion. Her parent's live in Teague along with another cousin. Ponte's screw up the wife order giving her chicken instead of cheese enchiladas. My CFS seemed like a precooked previously frozen deal.

I noticed down the street Te jun's. When I was on facebook her cousin raved about that place. Not sure if they are still any good. I'm pretty sure I have ate @ Sam's over the years of being in the area.

I've been driving up to Palestine for years to se my old buddy. That's another town with little to offer. Its probably a good thing because I need to drop some serious weight.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Welcome to the neighborhood! I live just north of you in Freestone County. For restaurants, definitely put The Pharm in Buffalo and Country Cousins in Centerville on your list. A short drive north will lead you to Sam's Restaurant and Ponte's Diner, also good places.

For a shooting range, you have the Leon County Gun Club in Oakwood. Check in with Archie at Buffalo Sporting Goods for more info.

If you need a tour guide, let me know. I worked in that area for awhile. I'm still familiar with it.
    The Pharm is great, and damn, do I love me some Mickey’s.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Well my offer off $235,000. was the magic number on what we believe to be a killer house. Moving end of February. Brick & Hardie board with a metal roof. 3 bedrooms, 2 bath.

The wife finally gets a dish washer after 27 years + the washer & dryer won't be in the garage. Even better she no longer will have to dive 3 hour to see her parents. Hope they don't plan on showing up! If they do I'm sure her dad will be freaked out in all the years I have not spoken to him

Big ass screened in porch means I'll be getting another smoker/grill. The man cave is 3 times bigger, so I'm really happy
    The big question is, how much land did you get with it?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The big question is, how much land did you get with it?
    Unfortunately just a great house on little over 1/2 acre. What blew my mind was the homeowner has a wood & glass gun cabinet in plain sight in his living room. No methbilly's is really important. Every place I looked ay that had acerage was bought before I could make an offer. My biggest mistake according to my realtor was looking n Zillow. They don't update their listings & lots of property I liked was already pending.

The wife cousin has 10 acres in Buffalo he shoots on & her other cousin has gas & oil land. He is older but is into guns mostly trap, skeet & sporting clay. And I'm closer to Palestine were I have options.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    We stopped @ Ponte's on the way back from looking at places in Corsicana @ the wife suggestion. Her parent's live in Teague along with another cousin. Ponte's screw up the wife order giving her chicken instead of cheese enchiladas. My CFS seemed like a precooked previously frozen deal.

I noticed down the street Te jun's. When I was on facebook her cousin raved about that place. Not sure if they are still any good. I'm pretty sure I have ate @ Sam's over the years of being in the area.

I've been driving up to Palestine for years to se my old buddy. That's another town with little to offer. Its probably a good thing because I need to drop some serious weight.

There's lots of fast food joints in Palestine, but really great restaurants are getting slim now.

Now that you're going to be closer, maybe we can get together and hit the Stockman's Cafe in Elkhart. That place has some excellent food and decently priced too.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    There's lots of fast food joints in Palestine, but really great restaurants are getting slim now.

Now that you're going to be closer, maybe we can get together and hit the Stockman's Cafe in Elkhart. That place has some excellent food and decently priced too.
    I'll be up for that once we get settled in.

We eat very limited fast food. My favorite mom & pop burger joint might still be in limbo. I hate the burger chains equally. New burger joint that opened was non impressive. Vietnamese joint will really be missed. Not having a La Michocana meat market for tacos & Sunday menudo will be the hardest.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008

Pontes main qualities are their breakfasts (especially omelets) and their burgers. Sam's is the place for CFS. The Pharm's CFS is supposed to be the best in the state.

Unfortunately, no good Chinese places locally. And the only Italian place (Frankie's in Mexia) is closed due to Covid for two weeks....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

We haven't eaten at Te jun's restaurant, but we have at their traveling food trailer. Can't speak of anything about the restaurant, but the food off the traveling food trailer is beyond excellent. Too bad they don't come to Palestine anymore. I think Fairfield and Buffalo are as far east as they come now. They have a HUGE Facebook following.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Pontes main qualities are their breakfasts (especially omelets) and their burgers. Sam's is the place for CFS. The Pharm's CFS is supposed to be the best in the state.

Unfortunately, no good Chinese places locally. And the only Italian place (Frankie's in Mexia) is closed due to Covid for two weeks....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Now that I am gimp getting up for breakfast has gotten later & later. I use to like catching catching breakfast before heading to work @ the renfest or range. I'm up early this morning because of the dog. Poor old man had steroid treatment a month back & now can't hold his pee. Even restricting his water & he pees in the house.

I bought a new egg poaching pan & the wife will make Eggs Benedict. Can't get them out anywhere near as cheap & home. Toaster oven will crank out perfect bacon on air fry. I'll make biscuits every once in a while for biscuits & gravy, but eating sausage gravy on toast works for me.

A Chinese buffet is the only way I like Chinese food. Sushi is way stupidly price & never filled me up. Vietnamese & Thai food rocks. That will be missed

Italian food that I like are things I generally won't pay for. Even a good pizza is overpriced.

The new house has a great screened in porch. I can see a grill/smoker in my future. I stopped cooking outside because everyone else parked their asses inside. The sliding patio door (MFOing door) never slid right & I hated dragging things in & out.

The wife sent her parents the link to the house. First thing her dad respond is when are we coming for supper! Once we get settled I might invite her family, just to show her dad I did alright without his highly coveted college degree. The gun room will have him stoke out hopefully! Her cousins were all cool when I met them years ago, and I'm sure they still are.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    We haven't eaten at Te jun's restaurant, but we have at their traveling food trailer. Can't speak of anything about the restaurant, but the food off the traveling food trailer is beyond excellent. Too bad they don't come to Palestine anymore. I think Fairfield and Buffalo are as far east as they come now. They have a HUGE Facebook following.

Their restaurant in Waco is great. Lots more on the menu there.

And Ponte's serves breakfast all day.....except biscuits ('til 11am only). The biscuits aren't anything you'll miss....

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I love small town life. Make sure you get a local newspaper. Small town politics is more fun than a clown college, on graduation day. We have several small towns around here vying for the title of most comical. Latest, school boards president's husband was the contractor for a new weight room. Never had a construction business before. State agencies are investigating that and other goings on. GRIN

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Closed on our house today. Now I'm being told it's Limestone county. Made application for new electrical service & water. Guy who I talked to about water, knew right were the house was & the people. He lives near by. Said his daughter is taking over for him. Nice guy we talked a bit. He asked if I fished, said he was into jug fishing. We talked about hunting I told him one I get settled in he would have to check out the African mounts.

Mover is coming tomorrow to give a quote on moving & boxes. Might let them pack up the wires dishes. The money is said to be deposited tomorrow in my account. Good thing ammo is impossible to find or I might be homeless & buying a registered mini gun.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The big update! Up early this morning to go look @ a deal on a friends fathers leather furniture & lift chair. He sold the high rise & needs the placed cleared out. Might buy the dinning room too. All Lazy Boy furniture the lift chair is a golden Maxi Comfort. Cool ting is I hunted in Africa with him & his dad so his dad will be with me in a way!

I was thinking I might need a cell phone so he said I can have his dad's i-phone 6 once he kills the service on it.

Closing on the new house moves up to next Friday.

Top Bottom