• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxGunsmith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Houston
    Like many ranches across Texas we too have a hog problem. My nephew is a whitetail breeder with a non hunting high fenced ranch used for breeding. About a year ago we discovered hogs got in through a hole in the fence by a creek. We fixed the hole but with the plentiful water supply, food plots and Trophy Rack protein their getting big, healthy and multiplying. We've tried hog lights and corn feeders shooting one at a time. I was about to invest in some night vision and a silencer. I recently purchased the new Ruger Mini 14 tactical rifle. So, I mounted a Leapers 3x9 w/50mm objective lense & lighted reticle on it along with the UTG 200 lumens weapon mounted light. With this combo it's like shooting in day light.
    This past sunday night at 8:45pm whle sitting by the feed pen one 310 pound sow, 140 pound boar and 9 piglets came in. I shot the sow in the head, then a double tap in the boar dropping him. The piglets took off running and I was able to take out two more as they ran. I was PUMPED. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun. My nephew swore I hit two other piglets but we couldn't find them. We checked out the sow and there was the one shot that hit her in the eye (not what I was aiming for) the boar needed one more head shot and the two piglets were gut shots.
    We continued drving around the ranch and I was able to disable five more 70-130 pounders then finish them off with head shots.
    The scope was $59.95 and the light was $49.95 from Cheaperthandirt.com

I will be buying more of the Leaper brand of optics.
    Venture Surplus ad

Top Bottom