• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Been there done that. That's why I no longer drive. Even a bug hitting your face at speed can take you down.
    Yep! I have caught a few between the goggles and top of the helmet a few times. Feels like getting hit in the forehead with a baseball! Part of the reason I switched to full-face helmets for the street.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I want a Honda Monkey sooo bad…seriously.

Because, you know, I need yet another hole to dump mod money into

Plus once The Boys are old enough, I’d love for the three of us to terrorize the neighborhood on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Definitely wear a helmet before purchase. Some brands have similar shaped helmets shells across their line. Other have different shaped shells for different fits. You don't want gaps. For example, you don't want space between your forehead and the helmet. You also do not want hot spots or pressure points. Walk around the store for 15-20 minutes with the helmet on. If it is uncomfortable it'll only be worse when your riding. You may look like an idiot looking around with the helmet on but you want it to be comfortable. You may look like an idiot without the helmet on so it may not make any difference anyway

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Sadly I’ll look like an idiot either way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96fordsix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    conroe
    Just read this thread. All good info!
    A good Motorcycle shop will measure your head to fit a helmet. I have do that a lot for customers.
    It is more important that the helmet fit well then brand, but please spend more then a $150.00 dollars.
    Take the course, go ride. Its good for the soul.

For me, a good day is riding the bike to the airport to fly or to the range to shoot.

Enjoy

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Quick question. How do you size a helmet? I’m going to start buying the gear soon and that’s when I realized I don’t know how to size a helmet. Would you recommend actual riding gloves or would mechanics gloves work just fine?

Helmet sizes are based upon hat sizes.

View attachment 321922
    That reply is ridiculously over simplified. Do yourself, and your wallet, a favor and disregard it.

The human noggin comes in an array of shapes and many sizes. Search the web for helmet fit(ament) guides.

Looks like I get to take a trip to a bike shop
    Most motorcycle shops have a very limited inventory and manufacturer selection. My guess is mostly what moves quickly whether they be cheapies for 1st timers / budget conscience or high volume movers. You don't give a location but if you can get to the Cycle Gear in Katy they have, or did at Grand Opening last year, literally 1000s of helmets in stock. They also have / had a wind simulator to help with your decision.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    That reply is ridiculously over simplified. Do yourself, and your wallet, a favor and disregard it.

The human noggin comes in an array of shapes and many sizes. Search the web for helmet fit(ament) guides.

Most motorcycle shops have a very limited inventory and manufacturer selection. My guess is mostly what moves quickly whether they be cheapies for 1st timers / budget conscience or high volume movers. You don't give a location but if you can get to the Cycle Gear in Katy they have, or did at Grand Opening last year, literally 1000s of helmets in stock. They also have / had a wind simulator to help with your decision.

Thanks for the tip on a shop but Katy is a bit far. I’m in Bulverde, just north of San Antonio, Incase you’re not sure where it is. The Harley dealer in Gruene had a couple of nice helmets that fit my personality. It had a $180.00 ish price tag. Haven’t gone back to Alamo Cycle Plex in years. I know I prefer to buy a helmet that fits me then use a provided helmet from a training course.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    HA! Not sure I agree with that but I rolled 35,800mi today after just 2yrs & 2weeks since getting the bike and 5-10% of that time riding to work to pay for it. ;)

Yeah, I put 65k on my ZX9R in 4 years.
    Might have ridden it to work twice a month.

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    Head's up ya'll. IOMTT is right around the corner, for the first time in two years. OP, if you wanna see real riders, check it out. These dudes make motogp riders look like newbs.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I love to ride and prefer to live, style be damned.

I get what you saying. But if The helmet is a good one and it fits my personality why not get it. Now if I have to skimp on safety for style of course that’s a no go. I too prefer to live. So I guess my next question before I buy a helmet is, are there certain makes I should avoid.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    This is the helmet I was looking at

Scorpion EXO-R420 Lone Star Helmet
    d79ba0f78d68bb5a8974c97de6e155cd.jpg

But if they are not a good manufacturer I don’t want it. It would probably get me through a safety class but I don’t want to buy a good enough for class only to have to buy another one that is much better for the road. Again I really appreciate all advice. And respect everyone’s opinion on this subject

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Helmet's come in many shapes, sizes and safety ratings. Wear earplugs to protect your hearing.

Styles: Closed lid, open lid, flip-ups (my personal choice), etc.

Shapes: my suggestion is to determine your head shape and find how makes helmets to match that shape. Try them on in a store (try ones that don't match your head shape also so you know what I'm referring to) and then look online to compare prices (RevZilla.com is a good reference).

Manufacturers: lots and lots - do your research.

Ratings: DOT is 'required' in the US, but there's also ECE, SNELL, FIM... - I've never had a cop ask to inspect my helmet but ymmv.

Costs: cheap to $$$$$. It's your head that you are protecting - how much is it worth to you?

Remember: Ride defensively on the road - cagers will NOT see you. With that said, it's not a matter of "if" you'll go down, it's "when".

More study material:
    Motorcycle Helmet Size Guide - How To Measure & Fit The Right Helmet | MotoSport

Motorcycle Helmet Safety Ratings: Complete Guide - Find Helmet (findhelmets.com)

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Helmet's come in many shapes, sizes and safety ratings. Wear earplugs to protect your hearing.

Styles: Closed lid, open lid, flip-ups (my personal choice), etc.

Shapes: my suggestion is to determine your head shape and find how makes helmets to match that shape. Try them on in a store (try ones that don't match your head shape also so you know what I'm referring to) and then look online to compare prices (RevZilla.com is a good reference).

Manufacturers: lots and lots - do your research.

Ratings: DOT is 'required' in the US, but there's also ECE, SNELL, FIM... - I've never had a cop ask to inspect my helmet but ymmv.

Costs: cheap to $$$$$. It's your head that you are protecting - how much is it worth to you?

Remember: Ride defensively on the road - cagers will NOT see you. With that said, it's not a matter of "if" you'll go down, it's "when".

More study material:
    Motorcycle Helmet Size Guide - How To Measure & Fit The Right Helmet | MotoSport

Motorcycle Helmet Safety Ratings: Complete Guide - Find Helmet (findhelmets.com)

Thanks for the links. Now I’m not sure what style I want anymore.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    "Wear earplugs to protect your hearing."

Absolutely! With only one exception, every street rider I've met uses ear pro.

"The wind noise at highway speeds can expose motorcyclists to sound levels in excess of 100 dB – that’s the equivalent of using a chain saw or standing in the middle of a dance club. Helmetless riders can experience noise 10 times greater than that, resulting in potential hearing loss in as little as 30 minutes."

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom