• ...and so much more!
  • Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Thanks for the links. Now I’m not sure what style I want anymore.
    I started off on a closed/fixed lid, but moved to a flip-up when I started doing on-road/off-road rides. The flip-ups are great for getting more air flow, taking a drink without having to remove the lid, etc - but are typically louder than fixed lids.

It's not uncommon to have several helmets, plus they are supposed to be replaced every 5 years or so as the protective materials compress, break-down, get old... imo - an old helmet (no crashes) is still better than no helmet.
    Target Sports

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    If you are like most, you will end up with a couple of helmets.

Full-face helmets take some time to get used to. In the safety course, you won't top 25 mph on a closed track. In my opinion, an open-face helmet might be a better option for the course in terms of visibility and maneuverability. Don't think your first helmet will be your only one, so consider buying a "starter" that will serve as a backup or spare.

I believe students were required to supply their own helmets for the MSF course I took at the local college. The also required a certain "level" of footwear. I believe it had to be ankle height or taller and have a rubber/composite sole (think work/ hiking boots).

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    All though I've never done it, my guess is storing ear plugs in something that doesn't breathe would/could grow cultures you don't want to see or shove in your ear. :eek:
    I use a baby size sock and never had an issue.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Good advice.

I wore earplugs regularly to sleep. My ex scored like a freight train. On my second trip to the doctor for an ear infection/ache, he asked me if I wore earplugs at work. I told him that I used them for sleeping, and why. He told me to clean ear plugs daily and change them regularly, as ear infections are common when people don't change out or clean their hearing protection regularly.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    This is the helmet I was looking at

Scorpion EXO-R420 Lone Star Helmet
    d79ba0f78d68bb5a8974c97de6e155cd.jpg

But if they are not a good manufacturer I don’t want it. It would probably get me through a safety class but I don’t want to buy a good enough for class only to have to buy another one that is much better for the road. Again I really appreciate all advice. And respect everyone’s opinion on this subject

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My first helmet was a scorpion. I think they were relatively new back then. I would buy one again. I had no complaints. After a few years I bought an arai. I've owned arais since then.

Some things you just can't know until you wear one on the road. For example wind noise and air flow.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    My 2 cents. If you have a place to ride dirt, get a smaller, what they used to call enduro bike. 250-300cc is enough. Legal for street but decent for trails. Ride trails and you learn much more that applies to street riding. Bike also weighs less so you can pick it up. You will dump a few times. Good shoes, helmet and long sleeves. Goggles work best. I quit riding in the mid 80s as traffic was terrible, don't know when the state dropped my M class off the DL. Country back rode riding was great on a nice cool morning. Riding LBJ in traffic was a killer.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I pretty much learned to ride from my dad and uncles. Believe it or not, I was racing motocross within a couple months. I was young and dumb, but it did teach me how to go down. I thought it was humiliating that they all had big bikes, but they started me out on a Honda 125. I still remember hearing "You gotta learn to crawl before you run with the big boys". Remember also, most street bikes don't do so well off road and visa versa, there are some that are made for both, but if you do a lot of long distance riding on the road, you'll want a dedicated street bike. One thing I tell everyone new to riding (which is also kinda my motto) "Watch everyone, trust no one" when riding the roads.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    I had a JUNK Suzuki 125 with huge rear sprocket that was the most fun to ride. Cost me 90$ and I sold it for 90$, it was still a junker but I had couple years of dirt FUN. Just ran out of places to ride as the city crept in. And got tired of cleaning rust from the tank out of the carb. Started on a Kaw 175, then cb350, couple other dirt bikes and a Suz gs450. Didn't need a pocket rocket. Got a car for long trips.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I may know the answer to this but, buying hear from a pawn shop, yeah or nay

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

Best deals are from other people (want ads). You may find a good deal at a pawn shop, but often they have inflated prices. I often heard of good deals through small motorcycle repair shops.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx

Depending on what size you wind up needing, I have a brand new sena full face I would let go for a fair price. You can also find people that wanted to ride and bought all the gear, fell off and never wanted to ride again for fair prices.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Stopped in at Alamo cycle plex earlier. Found a nice modular helmet I might get instead of the scorpion one I was looking at

Top Bottom