Capitol Armory ad

Leasing Hunting land for Camping and Target Shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2019
    Irvine, CA
    Is it a dumb idea? I don't have any friends or acquaintances with land, and I dont have the income to afford acreage of my own. Found some land that's $4.25 an acre. Probably only need about 50-60 acres worth of space. Also feel like it would be a bad idea of if we disturb game with our shooting if hunters are trying to do their thing. Wondering if y'all had any advice. Would be greatly appreciated!
    DK Firearms

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Is it a dumb idea? I don't have any friends or acquaintances with land, and I dont have the income to afford acreage of my own. Found some land that's $4.25 an acre. Probably only need about 50-60 acres worth of space. Also feel like it would be a bad idea of if we disturb game with our shooting if hunters are trying to do their thing. Wondering if y'all had any advice. Would be greatly appreciated!

To lease?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2019
    Irvine, CA
    Maybe it's because I, too, once resided in Commiefirnia and could shoot all over BLM land.

I realize Texas is Texas because of the lack of public lands, but at the same time I look out into that chihuahuan desert in West Texas, see those beautiful mountains, and it just makes me sad because I cant access them.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    It depends on alot of factors but Id be absolutely pissed if I got on to a shared lease and someone was out there shooting all the time. Might wanna ask the owner if they are good with what you are planning to do on their land first
    This reads as very good advice which is why I'm suspicious one could locate an equitable lease. Can't hurt to try though.

Better yet, find and befriend a land owner where disrupting the hunting is not an issue. /unicorn

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Id look for a lease that is family only. No friends invited. Ive heard of horror stories from buddies on leases where friends are invited & had nothing but problems. From their deer feeders being shot up to their trailer getting broke into.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    ^ This is not unlike public land in Commiefornia where a few shooters leave trash and basically act like degenerates ruining it for the majority of respectful, responsible target shooters.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Just buy it and borrow on it so you don't have any one to answer to. Credit is like 2%. Consider it a lease and if you ever walk away you are no worse off.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    It depends on alot of factors but Id be absolutely pissed if I got on to a shared lease and someone was out there shooting all the time. Might wanna ask the owner if they are good with what you are planning to do on their land first
    I agree, to a point.
    I shoot all the time on my place. Not long ago, a group was out shooting and a 10 point buck walked across the rifle range during a short lull for reloading. We were flabbergasted. Later, I checked the game feeder camera. Maybe 150 yds away. Yep, he was there all morning while we blasted away.
    They get used to it.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I agree, to a point.
    I shoot all the time on my place. Not long ago, a group was out shooting and a 10 point buck walked across the rifle range during a short lull for reloading. We were flabbergasted. Later, I checked the game feeder camera. Maybe 150 yds away. Yep, he was there all morning while we blasted away.
    They get used to it.

Ive seen the same out at my buddies place, except it was 3 doe that came out while a few of us had been shooting.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    No different than deer on rifle ranges in the Corps. I’ve seen a few over the years and at the 300yd line I had one in my RCO (ACOG). We were firing and it just wandered out like nothing was going on.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2019
    Irvine, CA
    ^ This is not unlike public land in Commiefornia where a few shooters leave trash and basically act like degenerates ruining it for the majority of respectful, responsible target shooters.

That's actually one of the biggest eye openers for me. I was perplexed for the longest time why there was no public lands in Texas. I thought, "the chihuahuan is so open and vast. There has to be at least somewhere out there" well I did find a spot in El Paso county and I made my way out there recently with some friends.... I've never seen so much trash in a place like that ever. It honestly made me sad. We actually went to the local store and bought some trash bags and picked up what we could, but it was completely useless. That was a weird ass day within itself, we were originally going to camp there overnight too. But something happened after nightfall that made us nope the **** out of there... and we almost accidentally killed someone (It was 100% on the person who we almost did though) I'll get into the stories on another thread.

Top Bottom