DK Firearms

Leather Sheath suggestions needed, please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I do a lot of hiking and sometimes carry a kuhkri (sp?). It works well for light brush clearing, but sucks as a general use blade. I also have an Old Timer Bowie with a 10" blade. I love the knife but hate the nylon sheath. I would like a heavy duty leather sheath for the Bowie. I'm requesting suggestions.
    Thanks in advance!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I looked up the Bowie. You can't expect much of a sheath on a knife selling for $17.

Options:
    1. Texas Knifemaker's Supply carries pre-made leather sheaths. You soak it in water and form it to your blade (so it will hold it tight), then let it dry and put some leather protector on it. Texas Knifemaker's Leather Sheaths
    2. Make a sheath out of Kydex. It's stiff, but you don't have to worry about water damage to it. You heat kydex and it bends easily, then gets solid when it cools. Again, Texas Knifemaker's carries it: Kydex supplies
    3. You find somebody who does leather work and get them to build a custom sheath for you.

Lot of distance between La Porte and Lufkin, according to your posted locations. I am on a deer lease east of Angelina County, so I do pass that way occasionally, and I have made a few sheaths for people who treat me well.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I agree. I bought several of them at $12 each to give to my Yankee nephew's on their recent visit. I kept one for my own self. Thank you for the link. I'll check it out.

Otherwise, I'm in Angelina county often. I have whisky and excel in the art of storytelling!

Top Bottom