• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmclain3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Spring, TX
    I need to get a decent paddle holster for my Colt Combat Commder XSE (SS). This would be for concealed carry. I'm thinking that kydex might be the way to go. My concern is that the kydex material may scratch the finish on my pistol. What is your experience with kydex and stainless pistols? Am I better off with a leather paddle holster or one made of Kydex-type polymers/carbon fiber if I'm concerned about the pistol being scratched?

BTW, I really don't like IWB carry as it's uncomfortable to me. Any suggestions on a paddle holster brand migh be helpful as well.
    Lynx Defense

codeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    TX
    I haven’t had any issues with scratches with the Kydex holsters. Any name brand paddle holster should be fine as long as it’s made for your make and model firearm.
    I wouldn’t rule out IWB holsters until you look at the Crossbreed Super Tuck. I use this for my Kahr CW9 and my Ruger LCP and they are very comfortable.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    Kydex is like putting a plastic saddle on Trigger. It just ain't right. It is noisy and doesn't fit like leather. I can carry large handguns IWB with a thong, and I'm not talking about underwear! Don't worry about wear, as an earlier poster said. It is something to be proud of as it shows some maturity. An old analogy is beware of the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I need to get a decent paddle holster for my Colt Combat Commder XSE (SS). This would be for concealed carry. I'm thinking that kydex might be the way to go. My concern is that the kydex material may scratch the finish on my pistol. What is your experience with kydex and stainless pistols? Am I better off with a leather paddle holster or one made of Kydex-type polymers/carbon fiber if I'm concerned about the pistol being scratched?

BTW, I really don't like IWB carry as it's uncomfortable to me. Any suggestions on a paddle holster brand migh be helpful as well.

I got a Commander sized leather paddle holster from Academy in Beaumont. I carry my 5" 1911 in it. It sticks out an inch but it's just fine and comfortable. I can get it out very fast with the thumb break. I like leather. Not only because it looks better than plastic but it's quieter. The only thing you hear is the snap of the thumb break and the snick of the safety. The safety is pretty loud. Louder than any other 1911 I've owned. Probably because it's new.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The only way to avoid scratching or marking up a gun or knife is to not use it.

Kydex is good stuff, but it's not very 'forgiving'. Leather kinda adjusts to the gun and your hip.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I prefer a hard polymer holster to leather for IWB carry. The plastic will always be thinner than the leather will be.

As for wear - I carried in an OWB leather holster for years. You will develop wear over time, pretty much everywhere. On the polymer holsters - you will get wear very quickly, but just in 2-3 spots typically. The rest of the gun will stay looking new. Only a few high points get most of the wear. One of the areas is the trigger guard, as this is one spot where such a holster holds the gun in place.

thebooze

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Irving, Texas
    I had a lined Bianchi Shadow for my Commander that I carried for years until it was stolen while I was at work. Havent been able to replace it. Found a good Commander but not the lined Shadow. I really like the way it carried, and it kept my pistol in pretty good shape as well. Why can't you find lined holsters anylonger.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I had a lined Bianchi Shadow for my Commander that I carried for years until it was stolen while I was at work. Havent been able to replace it. Found a good Commander but not the lined Shadow. I really like the way it carried, and it kept my pistol in pretty good shape as well. Why can't you find lined holsters anylonger.

You can still find them. I only like lined holsters. Even my Kydex IWB holster is leather lined.

jjslice

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    I have an Comp-Tac M-tac, i like the kydex/leather combo, I tried a full kydex before and didn't like it

Top Bottom