Leather vs. molded plastic for IWB holsters

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by radioflyer, Jul 22, 2009.

1. radioflyer

radioflyer Active Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Normally, I'd prefer a molded plastic, but i've been hearing a lot of talk about leather. What is your preference for concealed carry IWB and why?

For those interested, i'm looking for an IWB for my new SIG 2022. I've come across these 2 products:

Plastic
    http://www.unholstered.com/webstore/product.php?productid=16315&cat=324&page=1

Leather
    http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Split_Decision/split_decision.html

2. baboon

baboon Well-Known

I use a hybred. It's the best of both worlds.

3. txgolfer45

txgolfer45 Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Dallas
    I've used IWB kydex holsters from Coimp-TAC for years. Just ordered a leather IWB holster from Monica Keuhn. Will post a review after I get it.

4. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I have a "hybrid" Minotaur Spartan from comp-tac that I have been carrying my XD in for about 6 months and a full kydex IWB (Infidel) from comp-tac for my 23 that I have been wearing for about a week now, both have strong points, and I will say it comes down to personal preference.....

5. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Kydex holsters and kydex belt loops in particular can break very easily. Leather ones don't. I like kydex, although after seeing some of the kydex holsters out there and how easily they can break, any future kydex holsters I buy will at least have leather belt loops at the minimum. Most of the time it may not matter but, for that one in a million chance you end up on the ground with someone trying to wrestle the gun out of your holster, you definitely want something rugged that's going to hold up to a little abuse.

6. kerryp

kerryp Active Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    I have a Cross Breed Kydex holster that I like alot. It fits like a glove, is very discreet, and retains the weapon very well. The clips are steel, so no worries there.

P1010011-1.jpg

P1010013.jpg

And here is my new Monica Keuhn leather IWB that is shipping to me today. I look forward to getting it and seeing how it fits and feels. Don't harsh on my black leather straps...I have a black gun belt, so I wanted it to blend. :happy0001: When I get me a tan gun belt, I will buy some tan straps from her...

MonicaKuehnHolster.jpg

7. LittleGun

LittleGun Active Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    I like leather holsters for IWB carry because they are more comfortable for me. I like how the leather conforms to my body.

8. kerryp

kerryp Active Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    Thats the good thing about the Cross Breed. It is a little of both. It is a leather backing (mine is actually horse) with a kydex holster. The leather portion is actually pretty large so that it wraps and distributes the weight and the overall thickness is very thin making it very concealable (at least for my 1911) and comfortable.

9. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I wore a brown IWB with black loops too, nothing wrong with accessorizing :happy0001:

10. biglucky

biglucky Well-Known TGT Supporter

Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    When I carry my USP Compact I have a Comp-Tac molded IWB that is awesome. I fixed some of the comfort issues by coating body side of the holster with Moleskin like you would use if you had a blister on your foot. That makes it very comfortable.