Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009

txgolfer45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Dallas
    I've used IWB kydex holsters from Coimp-TAC for years. Just ordered a leather IWB holster from Monica Keuhn. Will post a review after I get it.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I have a "hybrid" Minotaur Spartan from comp-tac that I have been carrying my XD in for about 6 months and a full kydex IWB (Infidel) from comp-tac for my 23 that I have been wearing for about a week now, both have strong points, and I will say it comes down to personal preference.....

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Normally, I'd prefer a molded plastic, but i've been hearing a lot of talk about leather. What is your preference for concealed carry IWB and why?

For those interested, i'm looking for an IWB for my new SIG 2022. I've come across these 2 products:

Plastic
    http://www.unholstered.com/webstore/product.php?productid=16315&cat=324&page=1[url]http://www.unholstered.com/webstore/product.php?productid=16315&cat=324&page=1[/URL]

Leather
    [url]http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Split_Decision/split_decision.html[/URL]

Kydex holsters and kydex belt loops in particular can break very easily. Leather ones don't. I like kydex, although after seeing some of the kydex holsters out there and how easily they can break, any future kydex holsters I buy will at least have leather belt loops at the minimum. Most of the time it may not matter but, for that one in a million chance you end up on the ground with someone trying to wrestle the gun out of your holster, you definitely want something rugged that's going to hold up to a little abuse.

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    I have a Cross Breed Kydex holster that I like alot. It fits like a glove, is very discreet, and retains the weapon very well. The clips are steel, so no worries there.

P1010011-1.jpg

P1010013.jpg

And here is my new Monica Keuhn leather IWB that is shipping to me today. I look forward to getting it and seeing how it fits and feels. Don't harsh on my black leather straps...I have a black gun belt, so I wanted it to blend. When I get me a tan gun belt, I will buy some tan straps from her...

MonicaKuehnHolster.jpg

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    I like leather holsters for IWB carry because they are more comfortable for me. I like how the leather conforms to my body.

Thats the good thing about the Cross Breed. It is a little of both. It is a leather backing (mine is actually horse) with a kydex holster. The leather portion is actually pretty large so that it wraps and distributes the weight and the overall thickness is very thin making it very concealable (at least for my 1911) and comfortable.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    When I carry my USP Compact I have a Comp-Tac molded IWB that is awesome. I fixed some of the comfort issues by coating body side of the holster with Moleskin like you would use if you had a blister on your foot. That makes it very comfortable.

carney

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2008
    Outside DFW metromess.
    Kydex holsters and kydex belt loops in particular can break very easily.

+1!!!!! That is why out of all the money I have invested in various holsters, everytime I strap on any gun inside the waistband it always goes in a highnoon holster with the metal belt clip. I can't recommend the quality of their products enough. My glock 17 is carried daily (not everyday but you get the point) for almost 2 years in a Mr. Softy which is very similar to the above model you showed, and the only "damage" is a few small scratches on the clip, and a small amount of wear near the trigger guard.

100_0366.jpg

100_0368.jpg

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    leather is the only way to go but it should be made with the grain side in and the rough side out this helps prevent the holster from shifting around and holds your weapon in place.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    leather is the only way to go but it should be made with the grain side in and the rough side out this helps prevent the holster from shifting around and holds your weapon in place.

Not necessarily. The type of attachments points of the holster to the belt has a large impact on stability. The size and weight of the gun will also matter.

All in all, there are a lot of factors that impact how well a firearm stays in place. I wouldn't necessarily place it on material alone.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I like the leather IWB holsters. They secure the gun better and stand up to training longer.

I can take or leave the safety flap. But, on the plastic holsters this flap can be too big and not allow for a ffg.

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    my opinion is not just based on the material used it is also based on years of actually toting a gun for a living and 30 years of experience with with leather and how people use and like there holsters made.Also the use of the grain side in wears less on the finish of the weapon than does the flesh side. There are many factors to all of the different holsters we make and the biggest is what the customer wants.

tex45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    I prefer leather for comfort. The type of holsters I wear IWB have straps/clips fore and aft the holster which pulls it around the shape of my waist when I tighten my belt. I have worn them for as much as 18hours consistiently and have had no discomfort doing so. I tried a couple of the plastic holsters but they were not as comfortable and thus I would wear them much less. Here are a few of mine.
    Milt Sparks Versa Max 2
    ProVM2.jpg

Brommeland Gunleather Max Con V
    MAXCONV.jpg

Wilson Combat Gunleather
    WilsonHolsterBig.jpg

Tucker Gunleather Texas Heritage
    GP100Tucker1.jpg

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    I prefer the feel of a softer material if my weapon is going to be concealed. Kydex is durable but I would think it would bother you more than leather. I always use soft materials in my IWB rigs. I am not as worried about re-holstering as I am 12 hour comfort.
    If your holster hurts you then you are more likely to leave it at home "just this time" until it gets to be a regular thing.

Top Bottom