• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexZaa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Cedar Park, Texas
    Over the past 36 years I have collected a box of holsters that range from the well-crafted to the seriously flawed. The photo below is just a partial list of what I have. The best of the lot include Milt Sparks Summer Special and the Fobus paddle holsters for concealing my Kimber Ultra Carry II. The very worst of the lot has to be the ill-conceived Pager Pal.

oldHolsterBox.jpg

The Pager Pal caught my eye at a gun show in Austin. There was a dealer at the table wearing one and he had a small crowd of gun enthusiasts enthralled with his demonstration of concealed magnificence. He wasn't a small man by any stretch of the imagination but man could he could whip that red play gun out.

In theory...you holster your gun, slide it down the front of your pants and clip the fake pager to your belt. Then, when the bad guys assault you, you grab that pager with your left hand and pull up and smoothly clear leather with your right. He did it one very quick move. I had to have one. So I get home to the wife who has a friend over to keep her company while I went into the bedroom to practice my lightning moves. Who could NOT be impressed with this. The first thing I noticed when I tucked that thing in my pants was the bulge that made me look like Al Gore's famous airbrushed "package" on the cover of a magazine during his failed run for the Whitehouse. It said "yes, I'm glad to see you" very loudly. I must admit that it felt just a little uncomfortable to have the muzzle of a 45auto pointed at my other package. Since I was practicing unloaded, I didnt fear for the moment. I spent good money on this thing. I wasn't about to let the prospect of shooting myself in groin dissuade me from quick-draw history.

GladToSeeYa.jpg

Disregarding my better judgement, I walked into the livingroom to stand in front of my wife and her friend to give them the demonstration of a lifetime. They both noticed immediately that something was "up". I told them that it was my special conceal holster and not to worry. They laughed out loud. Not to be discouraged, I said, "Well watch this!" With one swift move that would have made the Flash feel like my mentor I grabbed the pager and yanked it straight up. The fake pager broke off of the leather with a snap and the gun slid down my jeans and lodged somewhere above the knee.

clearTHISleather.jpg

My dear sweet wife and her friend laughed so hard that I doubt they could have spoken their names for a full minute. So here I am with a gun lodged in my jeans. I had to take my pants off to get the gun out of there. I'm so glad I tested it in the safety of my home BEFORE taking it onto the streets. Best case scenario, the bad guys would laugh themselves to death. I took the Pager Pal back the next day and got a replacement (no refunds).

So...what did I settle on? The plastic Fobus holster. Now understand when tell you this that I believe holsters are a subjective thing. Not everybody is built the same. Some guys have no hips while others have more than their share. One size does not fit all. With that in mind, I'll tell you several reasons I like the Fobus-style holsters. They fit me securely. The gun comes out cleanly and quickly. The paddle design allows me to put it on in a matter of seconds. No buttons to snap, no arranging the holster till it's most comfortable. For me it just seems to slide into place. It's harder to take off, but that's a good thing. It conceals underneath an untucked shirt just as well as the Summer Special and is comfortable while seated. I have gone through hundreds of dollars worth of holsters over the years. I never thought I'd be settling for a piece of plastic. It's not sexy, but it has become a part of me. And there are some that would say that IS sexy. Pay them enough and they'll say anything.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I bought a Silent Thunder from Tucker. It's Kydex with a leather lining to protect the gun. The silent part is the leather lining. When you draw, it's completely silent unlike the noise you get from just a kydex holster.

It's pretty comfortable. I wanted to get the Texas Heritage but Rob told me about the Silent Thunder and I decided to try that.

It slips in easy and I'm still practicing the "yank the shirt up" thing but it's totally concealed. Depends on the shirt too. I like 100% cotton shirts not only because they're more comfortable but you can grab them better. The shirts with nylon or polyester in them will sometimes slip through your fingers a little and your "shirt tail yank" will be pretty slow.

When I'm tucking, I don't cinch my belt up all the way. I put it in the first hole just to hold the holster and gun up while I'm tucking so I can get my hands down my pants to arrange my shirt. Then I cinch the belt up tight.

I like to wear it with my shirt tucked in behind it and with an over garment for a faster draw. Hard to do that in Southeast Texas when it's hot and humid all the time.

I have a sheath from a cheap multi-tool that someone gave me that I use for an extra magazine on the opposite side. Wish it were black. It's green and pretty noticable.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    The High Noon is good, just be sure to get one with the sweat guard....I have a "down under" & like it fine & use it for my Glocks.

I also have one by Monica that is very nice, for my Kimber, I just don't carry it as much, but the holster is very comfortable & extremely well made.....I need to post pics of it.

ExpatBen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've been using a Cross Breed Super Tucker Deluxe for about a year now and love it. Before that I was carrying a Predator all Kydex holster. The Predator only survived about a year carrying a Para-Ordance P-14. I loved it, but it isn't made anymore and I couldn't find a company that makes the same type thing. I bought the Cross Breed for the Glock I carry now and love it. I've had all leather holsters and none have worked, either couldn't conceal it, get to it, or put it back. Go with plastic something or other.

treyw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Central TX
    Well, it isn't a IWB, but I've carried a 4 3/4 .45 LC USFA in this rig under nothing more than a T-Shirt without being able to notice it. Bob also makes IWB rigs as well so that will probably be my next purchase for my 1911's. My rig looks just like this except it is not carved.

Mernickle.jpg

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Never tried the Kydex althought the CBST looks to be a good holster. I have had good luck with a High Noon Split Decision for the XD9sc but it has no reinforcement and it a little hard to re-holster. My choice for my three carry guns (rotation-not all at once) is the DM Bullard Dual Carry. Clips are spread far enough apart that the weight is well distributed, very concealable, and comfortable to wear.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Well, it isn't a IWB, but I've carried a 4 3/4 .45 LC USFA in this rig under nothing more than a T-Shirt without being able to notice it. Bob also makes IWB rigs as well so that will probably be my next purchase for my 1911's. My rig looks just like this except it is not carved.

Mernickle.jpg

That's a nice looking rig. Who's Bob?

Top Bottom