• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CalAlumnus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2018
    Austin
    ...and I couldn’t be happier. Gun rights are in such poor shape in California:
    • Ever hear of the Roster? Yeah, it sucks. No Gen 4 or 5 Glocks, no PPQs or VP9s, no Sig Legions, no M&Ps, no Colts, and on and on...
    • Gun stores typically charge $50 for an online FFL transfer, plus the state-mandated $25 background check fee—and they’re required to charge sales tax.
    • The state’s new assault weapons ban is in effect. CADOJ is showing up unannounced to people’s homes to perform inspections if our photos weren’t clear enough or if they think we may be registering something impermissible. Some folks have had permissible guns confiscated over confusion with prior registrations.
    • Ammunition can’t be purchased online without being transferred by a Licensed Ammunition Vendor, which can charge a transfer fee.
    • The Legislature passed a bill requiring anyone who owned a grandfathered (i.e., owned prior to the 1999 ban) 11+ magazine to surrender it to police or remove it from the state. Luckily an injunction was issued on this one.
    One of the few positives is that CCWs are handled by county sheriffs, and I lived in a shall-issue county. I’m planning on carrying in Texas under my Utah CFP until my Texas LTC arrives.

Anyway, I have a few questions...
    1. Will FFLs accept the temporary paper Texas driver license (maybe combined with a valid passport), or do I need to wait for the plastic to arrive?
    2. Any recommendations on action pistol matches near Austin?
    3. Are there any good instructors around Austin? I’ve done a fair amount (Seeklander, TPC), but I’m always looking to improve.
    Venture Surplus ad

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Anyway, I have a few questions...
    1. Will FFLs accept the temporary paper Texas driver license (maybe combined with a valid passport), or do I need to wait for the plastic to arrive?
    2. Any recommendations on action pistol matches near Austin?
    3. Are there any good instructors around Austin? I’ve done a fair amount (Seeklander, TPC), but I’m always looking to improve.

1) Temporary Texas/DL contains a photo and is valid ID for gun + airline travel without any other ID.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Welcome to the forum and the state. Glad you got out of the PROK. Most gun stores accept the paper license, but it wouldn’t hurt to have something with your photo on it also.

Grundy1133

Born on a Monday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2018
    Gainesville, TX
    ugh.... another california transplant... its nothing personal but Austin has become the next california... so much of the cali mentality has seeped in and corrupted our capital from all the californians who decide to move there... i agree with dawico. instead of running away fight back. take your state back.

CalAlumnus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2018
    Austin
    ugh.... another california transplant... its nothing personal but Austin has become the next california... so much of the cali mentality has seeped in and corrupted our capital from all the californians who decide to move there... i agree with dawico. instead of running away fight back. take your state back.
    I understand your view, and you're right about most Californians--but not me. I'm a classical liberal with a healthy dose of conservatism. You won't find me voting against limited government and individual rights. So many of liberalism's "helpful" intrusions into our lives are deeply harmful. I'm happy to leave California behind because I see the problems with the California approach. I'm moving to Texas because I see the merit of the Texas approach. Frankly, Austin is a bit liberal for me, but I'll be attending UT. I may end up moving elsewhere after a few years.

Speaking of California stupidity, in my area they've been adopting something called a "road diet." Ever hear of this? They take reasonably-functioning roads and remove lanes of traffic in favor of wider sidewalks, dedicated bus lanes, and dedicated bike lanes. The goal is to make traffic worse to try to get people to walk or bike instead. It's insanity. I'll be with right-thinking folk in opposing nonsense like this.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Welcome!
    In a way I almost wish all the middle class moved out quickly so California would completely fail that much sooner. Seems the only ones able to afford to live there are the rich and those living off the state.

CalAlumnus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2018
    Austin
    Welcome!
    In a way I almost wish all the middle class moved out quickly so California would completely fail that much sooner. Seems the only ones able to afford to live there are the rich and those living off the state.
    This is what the liberal elite wants. They hate the middle class. They want the state to be only Silicon Valley types who earn obscene salaries, and then working poor to provide them with services--and they're happy to subsidize them with tax dollars, to assuage some of their guilt.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    I understand your view, and you're right about most Californians--but not me. I'm a classical liberal with a healthy dose of conservatism. You won't find me voting against limited government and individual rights. So many of liberalism's "helpful" intrusions into our lives are deeply harmful. I'm happy to leave California behind because I see the problems with the California approach. I'm moving to Texas because I see the merit of the Texas approach. Frankly, Austin is a bit liberal for me, but I'll be attending UT. I may end up moving elsewhere after a few years.

Speaking of California stupidity, in my area they've been adopting something called a "road diet." Ever hear of this? They take reasonably-functioning roads and remove lanes of traffic in favor of wider sidewalks, dedicated bus lanes, and dedicated bike lanes. The goal is to make traffic worse to try to get people to walk or bike instead. It's insanity. I'll be with right-thinking folk in opposing nonsense like this.

So you are kinda middle of the road in your political views? If that is the case you will probably be about as far left as it gets after attending UT for a while.

You may want to read this thread:
    https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/ut-off-the-rails.86120/

CalAlumnus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2018
    Austin
    So you are kinda middle of the road in your political views? If that is the case you will probably be about as far left as it gets after attending UT for a while.

You may want to read this thread:
    https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/ut-off-the-rails.86120/
    I'm not sure I'd say I'm "middle of the road." If you're not familiar with the term, "classical liberal" is basically libertarian, but without the libertine associations of that term.

Simply put, I'm for free markets and free people. The rule of law. Tradition. I believe in individual rights and individual responsibilities. Smith and Hayek, with a dose of Friedman and Burke.

I'm not worried about UT. I did my undergrad at Berkeley and it made me more of a classical liberal.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    I'm not sure I'd say I'm "middle of the road." If you're not familiar with the term, "classical liberal" is basically libertarian, but without the libertine associations of that term.

Simply put, I'm for free markets and free people. The rule of law. Tradition. I believe in individual rights and individual responsibilities. Smith and Hayek, with a dose of Friedman and Burke.

I'm not worried about UT. I did my undergrad at Berkeley and it made me more of a classical liberal.

Great! Welcome to Texas!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Welcome to Texas. Don’t really care about your politics, but the Texas spirit is about being self-reliant, independent, and overcoming hardship to be successful.

All while being friendly and respectful.

Oh, and we native Texans really don’t care how it was wherever you came from. Your here now; adjust.

Top Bottom