Leaving gun in car at work

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by Pawpaw40, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Member

Jan 5, 2009
    East Texas
    My employer does not allow firearms on company property, including parking lots. Will the law that allows carrying concealed in your vehicle protect my job if my employer does a search? I believe Oklahoma and Florida are passing, or have passed, laws that protect employee rights to keep weapons in their locked personal vehicles, even in parking lots. Do we have the same protections here in God's country?

2. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Not sure of the legal aspect, but why would your employer search your car? I'm not that old having only been in the workforce for 15 years or so, but I've never worried about a search of my vehicle by an employer. Hell my last employer didn't even care when my vehicle was damaged on two occasions and broken into on their property.

3. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You can be fired for violating the company policies.

Can you be charged?......................

30.06 only applies if you are carrying under the authority of a CHL. So if you have a CHL and the company meets the requirement of the 30.06 law, then you could be charged with that.

No CHL then you could be charged with Criminal Trespass.

Texas tried to introduce a law last session that would have helped prevent that, but it failed. I don't know if there will besuch an attempt this session.

4. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Member

Jan 5, 2009
    East Texas
    There was a case in Arkansas I believe where a lumbermill asked the local law enforcement folks to help check for illegal drugs. The dog that was used reacted positively for both weapons and drugs, resulting in the firing of several employees for violating the company's firearm policy. Not being able to store my weapon in my locked private vehicle while at work, denies me the right of self defense while travelling to and from my place of employment.

5. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    'at about sums it up.

6. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    No, it denies you a TOOL of self defense.

7. razor

razor Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Look this is what you do! Get a Xd or a simular gun and take the slide and barrel out while you are at work . You no longer have a gun ,you have gun parts!!!!! There is no law against having gun parts in your car in almost any parking lot.I can take my pistol appart in nearly 15 seconds and have it ready after I hit the road.I do agree on it hindering your ability to carry a weapon and it does offend our rights to carry one!!!

As posted below this isnt legal. So dont doit!!!!

8. kville79

kville79 Active Member

May 24, 2008
    Austin
    Just a bit of info... The receiver/frame is the firearm, everything else is parts. Before you accidentally mislead anyone I would like to annotate that even if all parts are stripped from it, you still have a legally defined firearm in your vehicle if you have the pistol frame.

9. Army 1911

Army 1911 Well-Known

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Park on public property like street if you can.

10. Y2bad4U

Y2bad4U Member

Jan 12, 2009
    polk County
    hide it in the vehicle