• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm interested in getting some off road LED lights for my trucks brush guard.
    I see where you can by clamps for the size tubing on your guard and that way you can mount them just about anywhere.

have any of you went with the LEDs for off road? They are much smaller, and don't use squat for power, I'm just curious
    ARJ Defense ad

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I have a lot of Rigid Lights, Some Vision X. They are a game changer. Much more output and very little current draw.

Dually D2:
    IMG_0568.gif

Vision X:

DSC00254_zpsd1700734.gif

Jeffrey

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Longview, Tx
    Make sure you have a rubber grommet in the mount to absorb some of the shock. Also make sure you've got good air flow around them. The diode doesn't make any heat, but the associated circuitry makes a ton. Also, make sure you do some reading on color temperature before you buy.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have a lot of Rigid Lights, Some Vision X. They are a game changer. Much more output and very little current draw.

Dually D2:
    IMG_0568.gif

Vision X:

DSC00254_zpsd1700734.gif

I love the square ones and those clamps are much more heavy duty than the ones I've been looking at
    So the clamps are KC but the lights are Vision X ?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I love the square ones and those clamps are much more heavy duty than the ones I've been looking at
    So the clamps are KC but the lights are Vision X ?

The KC clamp holds the square Rigid Light.

The Round VisionX light has it own clamp.

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    LED off road lights are great. Don't expect to be able to use them as normal running lights though. They are incredibly bright as long as you don't buy the Chinese knock-offs. And yes, they do last just about forever. The comparison to LEDs on late-model cars is a poor one, at best. These off road lights are built to a different, higher standard.

I prefer Rigid and Vision-X, but Baja Designs also makes a good product.

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    I want to clear up a few misconceptions I read in this thread.

Leds are more vibration resistant than incandescent bulbs by a large margin.

Leds do generate quite a bit of heat, they require large heat sinks attached directly to the diode. If you don't keep the diode cool it will die an early death. In a well designed led bulb the current regulator generates way less heat than the diodes.

I worked many years for a company in the free space optics communication business as a reasearch and development tech.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    Forever is a bit of an exaggeration. I've seen enough LEDs fail on late-model cars to think that they last forever....
    lmfao i have LED's for landscaping. granted in general they last 1x-5x as long as halogen but nothings's forever. I do understand in dynamic sitation such as a truck, the LED elements would outlast a filament. I've been mega disappointed with the "landscape application" 12VDC made in china LED's. they're overrated IMO.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I want to out some on my ranch truck, too. My problem is I don't know how to easily mount them so that branches and tall grass won't smack them around. We drive through lots of thick stuff.

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    I wouldn't worry about the trees and limbs and brush. Check out the durability testing videos on the manufacturer's website. These things are pretty robust.

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Unless you are fixated on LEDS, I'd recommend HID. Several Top companies like, Hella and KC make them in the 4 - 6 inch size. The output blows leds away.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    LED off road lights are great. Don't expect to be able to use them as normal running lights though. They are incredibly bright as long as you don't buy the Chinese knock-offs. And yes, they do last just about forever. The comparison to LEDs on late-model cars is a poor one, at best. These off road lights are built to a different, higher standard.

I prefer Rigid and Vision-X, but Baja Designs also makes a good product.

well, I guess I'm out then, I just can't throw down $300 for one light. Wow, I don't mind paying for quality, but I have to rethink this.

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    Unless you are fixated on LEDS, I'd recommend HID. Several Top companies like, Hella and KC make them in the 4 - 6 inch size. The output blows leds away.

Incorrect. A decent set of LEDs will blow a light rack full of HIDs out of the water. LEDs are instant-on with no warm-up or ramp-up period. They produce much less heat. They consume exponentially less power, which is actually a big deal for me because you can save on cost/weight with lighter duty wiring, switches, etc. They have a usable work life that is many times longer than HIDs, and will probably never need to be replaced for their intended lifetime. HIDs require new bulbs regularly, and they're not cheap. And that brings us back to the initial point of initial investment, which is about the same whether HID or LED.

LED technology has improved a lot over the past few years, and their best offerings are unbelievable. I have a 39in VisionX Evo Prime on my SUV, having replaced a set of 5 HIDs. The output of the LED bar is far superior.

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    well, I guess I'm out then, I just can't throw down $300 for one light. Wow, I don't mind paying for quality, but I have to rethink this.

To be fair, the Chinese knock-off lights still have decent output and tremendous savings. They cut cost on their housings and mounts, and also on their reflectors. I know a few guys that run them and they perform pretty well. If you really want to save money, I would do what I did on one of my SUVs.

In place of the factory fog lamps, I bought some GE Q4509 halogen lamps. They're used as landing lights for airplanes. They are a standard PAR36 size so you can get a housing for $10/ea from a big rig supply store. (PAR36 is a common size for truck applications.) From there, you only need to figure out wiring. I actually used the existing fog light wiring so I can control it with my factory fog light switch. But even if you go full custom, a spool of 18ga wire, a $5 switch from RadioShack, and some creative fabwork will do the trick.

My airplane landing lights are blindingly bright, and a total investment of about $60.

Top Bottom