• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    its been a while since i ran the 40sw dies as i load up a thousand in each caliber before i change out. started reloading some 40 and when it went to the factory crimp die, i couldnt get the case in without a lot of force. took it out and looked at it, no problems inside but decided to take it appart and clean it. its now cleaned and still have issues. is it time for a new die?
    Gun Zone Deals

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I notice that if I flare the case mouth too much, that it takes a bit more pressure to get the cartridge into the crimp die. Things I've done are to adjust the flaring die out a bit so that it doesn't flare as much, but it still lets the bullet "drop" in without having to be forced in (thus risking shaving the bullet). The other thing that I've noticed is to make sure you run the round up in a "fast" fluid motion. If you hesitate, it tends to take more force to crimp the bullet. This is just my personal experience ... not with the 40, but with pistol rounds in general.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    i ran a sized case through it to see if the flare was the issue and it wasnt. its like the carbide ring inside the case shrunk. i didnt adjust anything from what i have ever done before that worked great. all my dies have the lock rings set up to the bushings. kinda stumped.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    byrron, you say you ran a sized case in, but did you flare the case? A sized case, i.e. just through the sizing die, shouldn't be an issue. However, if you've overflared, then you will have to push past that as it enters the FCD since that ring is the maximum neck diameter (.423) for 40S&W. Just an aside, if you've flared that much, you've flared far too much. Most people flare far more than needed. If the problem is entering the die, then you know where to look, neck diameter which points to sizing (you checked this), flare, or bullet size.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I think Deavis nailed it on that one. I would also check your bullet diameters. Maybe they're out of spec and a few thousandths larger than the last batch you loaded. I have never heard of die shrinkage so I don't think that is playing a factor. Good luck with em' - Texmex

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    Do you have the same issue when you reload FMJ bullets, or is this an issue with lead bullets only?

I don't reload .40, only 9mm and .45 acp. I have noticed that some of my .45 cal lead bullets are .451 (from Houston Bullet Co.) and some are .452 in diameter, and .452 diameter lead bullets take more effort to insert into the FCD than the .451 diameter lead bullets. You might try checking the bullet diameter like has been suggested and make sure that they are in specs.

The Lee bullet lube and resizing kits go for under $25. I bought one because I got a steal on a batch of lead bullets that were over sized from an acquaintance who did not want them. Might be a worthwhile investment for you also...

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    it dont matter if its cast or FMJ. heres the thing: all my dies are set with the locking ring from hornady and have not moved sice ive set them up. now, after a month or so of not using them, i take them out of the box, try to use them and im having this issue. it makes no difference if there is a flare or not. even old, factory, or freshly sized brass has an issue going through it. i cast my own and size them with a Star sizer to exactly .401. never had a problem with it before i started sizing either. just crazy whats going on.

piledriver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Katy
    You should be able to figure this out pretty easy. The die is not going to shrink. Consider all the possibilities here. All part of reloading.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    Your frustration is very obvious in your posts...you asked for and are getting suggestions that you are quickly dismissing...maybe it is time to back off, clear your head and rethink the problem, and then go back over everything again because you have clearly missed something. Do not assume anything, start with the obvious and eliminate everything...only then will you find your problem.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    all my dies are set with the locking ring from hornady and have not moved sice ive set them up. now, after a month or so of not using them, i take them out of the box, try to use them and im having this issue. it makes no difference if there is a flare or not. even old, factory, or freshly sized brass has an issue going through it.

byronbush - I can tell you are frustrated but you simply have to look at the situation and be calm about it. you setup your FCd and are having a problem, there are only a few possibilities barring a catastrophic setup issue, like putting your sizing die in for your FCD or putting the wrong caliber FCD on there. I'm sure you checked those things, it would be embarassing to have your 9mm FCD in your 40 kit. Your carbide ring did not magically shrink, I've got more carbide dies in my shop than most people and not a single one has shrunk despite seeing tens of thousands of rounds.

So, here is an easy way to troubleshoot your problem, please just follow the steps and i think you'll find your culprit.

1) Check all your dies to ensure they are the proper caliber, are adjusted correctly, and are not damaged (is that ring in there straight?)
    2) Size a case and put it through your FCD, if it binds you have an issue in sizing, if not, continue
    3) Flare a case and put it through your FCD (no bullet, no powder), if it binds at the entrance then you have a flare issue, if not continue
    4) measure your bullet diameter, load a case, measure the neck diameter, and then use your FCD, if it binds then you have an issue with the final neck diameter (bullet + case == neck larger than .423)

You should find the issue, if not, let's troubleshoot more.

Top Bottom