• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dallas Hicks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2017
    Alvin, TX
    I am left-handed and would like to get a left handed bolt action or lever action rifle. Mainly to be used for hunting/sport.

What do you guys recommend for a good left-handed rifle that won't break the bank? I would be willing to spend up to $600-700 for one.
    Guns International

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    You pretty much have your run of the lot. Everyone makes a left handed these days though you may have to order it. Let us know what you select and how it works.
    Remington 700
    Ruger American
    savage axis
    Weatherby vanguard.
    Did I miss any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Savage every time. Pick your features but most of them fit your budget.

Axis on the low end, model 10/ 11/ 12 etc. on the high end.

They will all shoot well.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Are you pretty new to shooting or have you been at it awhile? If your an old hand, try someone else's LH before you buy. As a LH myself, after shooting RH weapons all my life, it felt...awkward when I finally got to try a LH rifle.

Dallas Hicks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2017
    Alvin, TX
    Are you pretty new to shooting or have you been at it awhile? If your an old hand, try someone else's LH before you buy. As a LH myself, after shooting RH weapons all my life, it felt...awkward when I finally got to try a LH rifle.

I learned to shoot when I was young but I haven't been active shooter or an old hand as you put it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Right handed but left eye dominant so I shoot long guns left handed.

I bought a left handed rifle and hated it. But I have always shot right handed rifles and always will.

seacam

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    Austin
    My brother is a lefty and he shoots right handed rifles for the most part. However he did buy a left handed shotgun that he shoots really well. We both also shoot Encores. I shoot right handed and he shoots left handed. We both have several barrels we can switch out too depending on what we're doing.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I've always fired right handed weapons with my left and had no issues. I guess if you are first starting out after awhile, it might make sense to get a left handed rifle but after shooting right handed weapons for so long, I have no desire to change anything. The only thing I look for if they have them, are ambidextrous safety options on handguns. If not no big deal. I would definitely try both first and see which one feels more natural to you. I'm the type of person that would play a guitar upside down though.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Dallas Hicks,

IF you would take my advice, your first LH rifle (and suitable for a variety of purposes) would be a good/used REMINGTON Model 700BDL LH in .30-06.
    Then fit it with a 2.5-4X quality scope/mount/rings.
    (I've seen at least one 700BDL LH at nearly every recent gun-show & most were in your price range.)

Personally, I prefer a fixed-power scope by Redfield or Leopold for a "general purpose" high-power rifle.

just my OPINION, satx

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I've always fired right handed weapons with my left and had no issues. I guess if you are first starting out after awhile, it might make sense to get a left handed rifle but after shooting right handed weapons for so long, I have no desire to change anything. The only thing I look for if they have them, are ambidextrous safety options on handguns. If not no big deal. I would definitely try both first and see which one feels more natural to you. I'm the type of person that would play a guitar upside down though.
    Same for me. I have shot right handed guns all my life left handed. I would like to ad to the OP that if you end up buying a left handed rifle and if for whatever reason decide to sell it your market will be very limited. I had a left handed Savage and decide to part ways with it. It took over 2 months and I had it priced much lower than the equivalent right handed rifles that were selling.

Dallas Hicks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2017
    Alvin, TX
    Same for me. I have shot right handed guns all my life left handed. I would like to ad to the OP that if you end up buying a left handed rifle and if for whatever reason decide to sell it your market will be very limited. I had a left handed Savage and decide to part ways with it. It took over 2 months and I had it priced much lower than the equivalent right handed rifles that were selling.

So you're saying if I find a used one, I should be able to buy under marker? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Dallas Hicks,

Fwiw, I paid 400.oo OTD for my 700BDL (in great shape), with a 2.75X Redfield, 2 boxes of shells & a hard-case, so I'd guess that's well within your price range.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Dallas Hicks,

IF my nephew didn't want it so badly (and he's getting it for his BD in November), I'd sell you the BDL for what I paid for it.
    (I'm transitioning to ONLY Model 760 pump-rifles & I need another .06 like I need cancer. = I currently have THREE 760 rifles in .30-06, out of the 8 that I currently own. - One of the 3 will soon be converted to a .400 Brown-Whelen Improved by JES.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Dallas Hicks; All,

Fwiw, I've spent so much time with pump shotguns & rifles that I automatically try to "pump" every long-gun.
    (Afflicted with "muscle memory", I would guess.)

yours, satx

Top Bottom