• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    It is not an issue until it is no longer concealed, which means you are in defense of your life. I would rather be alive defending why I had a weapon on postal property than dead missing the chance to see my children grow up.

Didn't ralize those were the only two choices. Violate the law or die. wow.
    Lynx Defense

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    All VA Clinics are the same. Most of them have a sign by the front door.

Agreed...but VA Clinic in Longview that I go to and VA Hospital in Shreveport are clearly marked notifying that it is illegal to have any type of weapon on the property or in the building. our local post office at one time had a ghost buster type no gun sign on the door and several years ago that was removed. I have gone in for years and retrieved mail from my box while carrying concealed...........consider myself lucky no issues. But now that I know...it really sucks having to make a special trip while leaving weapon at home. Just no safe place to park off property due to traffic and no shoulder to park on.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So is it illegal to have it in my car when I'm at the PO?

Uh, what? Your car is part of your domicile in Texas, that's how our laws are written. Premises is clearly defined in our carry laws, the US Postal Service can't enforce prohibiting a person from storing a firearm in their car in their parking lot in the state of Texas. You're generally on-point with things like this, but they cannot enforce the rules effective in their fenced in loading areas and inside their buildings in their open parking lots. Many post offices share lots with other places, so that's even less of an enforceable rule for them.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Agreed...but VA Clinic in Longview that I go to and VA Hospital in Shreveport are clearly marked notifying that it is illegal to have any type of weapon on the property or in the building....

The VA hospital/"campus" here in Houston which takes up 2 square city blocks is a fenced in weapon free zone and is posted like a military post (entry consents search signs)

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Uh, what? Your car is part of your domicile in Texas, that's how our laws are written.
    That seems to be a common misconception. If you will read penal code 46.02, You will see clearly that your car is not a part of, an extension of, etc. Your "domicile".
    Premises is clearly defined in our carry laws, the US Postal Service can't enforce prohibiting a person from storing a firearm in their car in their parking lot in the state of Texas.
    Under Texas law you are correct; however, under federal law a person can be charged and prosecuted.
    You're generally on-point with things like this, but they cannot enforce the rules effective in their fenced in loading areas and inside their buildings in their open parking lots. Many post offices share lots with other places, so that's even less of an enforceable rule for them.

Completely incorrect. Read the laws.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Your car is not part of your domicile in Texas. In addition federal law trumps state law.

If this post office law was enforced we would have to arrest most of my county. At any given time half the trucks in the parking lot have shotguns and deer rifles in the back window or on the front seat.

Is there any cases of someone being arrested by the feds for carrying on PO property?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Is there any cases of someone being arrested by the feds for carrying on PO property?

Like Federal School Zones, there generally are not Federal LEOs patrolling the area looking for violators. Thus most arrests are for something else, and the PO violation is added on. Some Postal employees have been caught and prosecuted though.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That seems to be a common misconception. If you will read penal code 46.02, You will see clearly that your car is not a part of, an extension of, etc. Your "domicile". Under Texas law you are correct; however, under federal law a person can be charged and prosecuted.

Completely incorrect. Read the laws.

A parking lot where a postal office resides is not Federal land, it's not part of DC it's still Texas. Your interpretation also doesn't prove that any parking lot with a post office in it falls under the control of the post office. Say someone owns a shop that shares a parking lot with a post office, the post office cannot tell that person that they can not have a firearm in their car because it's completely legal in this state to do so. The rules of the post office don't extend beyond its doors or its fenced in loading area.

Top Bottom