• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    A parking lot where a postal office resides is not Federal land, it's not part of DC it's still Texas. Your interpretation also doesn't prove that any parking lot with a post office in it falls under the control of the post office. Say someone owns a shop that shares a parking lot with a post office, the post office cannot tell that person that they can not have a firearm in their car because it's completely legal in this state to do so. The rules of the post office don't extend beyond its doors or its fenced in loading area.

Most Post Office parking lots are Federal Property. Sure if the PO rents mini-mall space that might not be true, but most POs I have seen are standalone structures on self-contained property.
    Venture Surplus ad

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    A parking lot where a postal office resides is not Federal land, it's not part of DC it's still Texas. Your interpretation also doesn't prove that any parking lot with a post office in it falls under the control of the post office. Say someone owns a shop that shares a parking lot with a post office, the post office cannot tell that person that they can not have a firearm in their car because it's completely legal in this state to do so. The rules of the post office don't extend beyond its doors or its fenced in loading area.
    Many (most?) post offices dont share a parking lot. If the USPS leases the building (and that lease includeds the parking lot) then its post office property. Its all theory anyway as I have never and probably will never see the postal inspector outside looking in cars for guns.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    You are arguing a losing battle.

In addition Texas law is irrellevent to the feds.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I'm just glad no one ever freaks out and starts shooting people in Post Offices. I always feel completely safe there, no need to bring a <gasp> gun.

Why does the internet always lie to me? Going postal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

excerpt:
    ...Thirty-five people have been killed in 11 post office shootings since 1983. The USPS does not approve of the term "going postal" and have made attempts to stop people from using the saying. Some postal workers, however, feel it has earned its place appropriately.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You are arguing a losing battle.

In addition Texas law is irrellevent to the feds.

That would be great if a post office lot was Federal land, but in the scenario I've mentioned it very much isn't. Several post offices I've been to shared parking with other businesses.

I even know a building that has a post office annexed inside it and that main structure has an FFL, so I'm pretty certain the postal laws don't mean anything outside of their enclosed space or secure areas.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    A parking lot where a postal office resides is not Federal land, it's not part of DC it's still Texas.
    By that argument, the building and the space in is not part of DC, it's still Texas so federal laws don't matter. The fact is, the CFR that prohibits postal carry uses the term "property", not "building". Just as they can prohibit you from carrying inside the building, they can make it unlawful to posses on the parking lot.
    Your interpretation also doesn't prove that any parking lot with a post office in it falls under the control of the post office. Say someone owns a shop that shares a parking lot with a post office, the post office cannot tell that person that they can not have a firearm in their car because it's completely legal in this state to do so. The rules of the post office don't extend beyond its doors or its fenced in loading area.
    Your premise is wrong. Being in Texas has nothing to do with this. If the location is federal property, they can control. However, I will agree that a post office in a shopping center, for example, could not regulate "Common areas", such as parrking lots of the shopping center.

But at a stand alone post office the parking lot is part of the property and off limits under federal law.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Case closed!

Good luck with that one. You imply "reason" will prevail in this mockery of an argument.
    He's had at least two LEO's tell him specifically what is and is not allowed by the law.
    One of which is possibly one of the most knowledgeable people on this board, concerning the laws.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    The rules of the post office don't extend beyond its doors or its fenced in loading area.
    Yes they do. If the parking lot is under control of the Post Office carrying there, in your vehicle or on foot, is illegal. There was recently a good thread about PO carry.

Edit: this is that thread. Oh well.

Top Bottom