Venture Surplus ad

Legal question about shooting outside city limits.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeyZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    Does anyone know whether it's legal to shoot on your property in Travis county, if it's in a somewhat rural subdivision? I have an acre and a half outside city limits, but it's a small heavily wooded subdivision. There are maybe 20 houses in this subdivision and each house is pretty spread out. Most lots are 1-3 acres. There is nothing behind my house but open pasture, no livestock. Is it legal for me to shoot at my house?
    Texas SOT

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Yes. But I agree with above, you should call the SO and copy the name of the person you speak with. Good chance Deputies will show up to see what is going on.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    you'd get a better answer from your county SO, or local PD than you will from this board

just sayin
    STOP

Do not ask LEO anything that may legally affect you.

They are not required to tell you the truth (they may not know it or they may lie to try to catch you acting illegally based on their lies). Many convictions have been gained from cops lying to folks, and "the cop lied to me" isn't a valid defense.

Ask your lawyer.

If you don't have a lawyer, ask your county's district attorney's office.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    STOP

They are not required to tell you the truth (they may not know it or they may lie to try to catch you acting illegally based on their lies). Many convictions have been gained from cops lying to folks, and "the cop lied to me" isn't a valid defense.

Ask your lawyer.

Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you, huh?

JoeyZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    So away from the house? Not through it? Good to know. ;-) Well I have shot AWAY from the house on sveral occasions and no cops showed up. My neighbors are cool. But I just was'nt sure if it was %100 legal. Thanks.

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    A lawyer will not know the answer....lordy. General rule is 10 acres to shoot in most counties with a few exceptions that need only 5 acres. Calling the sheriff is the best way to find out or talk to other land owners that have been there a while. With just 1.5, I am doubtful you could do it....but then I'm not in the know for Travis Co. Call and see.

BTW, and FWIW, Comal Co. DA will NOT answer any legal questions in person or over the phone. You will be referred to the SO. Kendall will do it though.

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    Lawyers get paid to look crap up, not answer off the top of their heads. Nothing billable on an answer like that. Research gets billed. Not worth it IMO...but do what you want. I already know what the answer is for my 2 areas.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    I guess some live in a fantasy world where they expect their lawyer to work for free, then.

Nothing in life is free.

Ask a lawyer - spend some money - get a good answer.
    Ask a LEO - spend no money - roll the dice on whether you're getting good advice, or if they're making it up as they go along. Potentially this could end up way more expensive a route than asking the lawyer.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    STOP

Ask your lawyer.

anim_bs2.jpg

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Why is it when others trot out the "Don't ask the police a legal question", they're applauded, but when I do it, it's ridiculed?

What part of my advice is wrong?

Can you show me where asking a lawyer a "Can I do this?" question landed someone in jail?

I can sure show you where cops have lied then arrested folks when those folks acted on those lies.

Ridicule or not, my advice is good.

Be well.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Because they may do it on specific issues that make sense. You're totally bat-shit rabid on the subject. And I can show you where attorneys have stolen, lied and cheated their own clients.....so what's yer point?

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Because they may do it on specific issues that make sense. You're totally bat-shit rabid on the subject. And I can show you where attorneys have stolen, lied and cheated their own clients.....so what's yer point?
    While lawyers may steal, lie and cheat their clients, they're not responsible for YOUR criminal prosecution.

There's a REALLY big potential difference in asking a crooked lawyer and asking a crooked cop the same legal question.

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    I guess some live in a fantasy world where they expect their lawyer to work for free, then.

Nothing in life is free.

Ask a lawyer - spend some money - get a good answer.
    Ask a LEO - spend no money - roll the dice on whether you're getting good advice, or if they're making it up as they go along. Potentially this could end up way more expensive a route than asking the lawyer.

I'm not saying that at all. I just don't need to shell out 500 clams to find out something that can be asked and then verified from another source. Do what you want.

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    I'm trying to wrap my head around a scenario where Jack Public asks a Jill LEO whether a certain activity is legal, and then Jill LEO lies to Jack Public in order to arrest him for said activity after he acts on her information. Do you have an example for me to consider?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a federal LEO and we lie to bad guys all the time to get them to tell us about crimes they have committed or continue their criminal enterprise as we build our case... that's not exactly what we're talking about here.

Thanks,
    -Randy

Oh, and this thread interests me because I'm looking for land on which to build our next house... and it would be good to be able to legally shoot there.

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    Wow. If a LEO lies to you about the legality of an action and then arrests you doing what he just told you that you could do, that would be tossed out of court in a hurry.
    If Officer A tells you one thing in last week and Officer B arrests you today for it, then you are at a point that you are going to need to pay that attorney anyway.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom