• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michael harwell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2017
    Comal
    Then you can not read very well. When you understand survey law and property issues. You would run away so fast from this it’s not funny.

Do it with me and own your land with in 10 years or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I own two tracts of Property connected both are 5.02 acres each.The total meets the criteria of 10 acres.
    Is it legal to shoot on this Property. Texas

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    english-do-you-speak-it.jpg

;-)

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    I own two tracts of Property connected both are 5.02 acres each.The total meets the criteria of 10 acres.
    Is it legal to shoot on this Property. Texas
    The size of the property doesn't matter, just legal restrictions.

You have to keep the bullets on your property.
    You cannot be in a city limits (I assume all cities ban discharge of firearms.)
    Your county has not restricted shooting in some way. Here's where the acreage comes in - the state preempts counties from regulating restrictions on property that is more than 10 acres.

Many folks confuse that preemption to say you MUST have 10 acres to shoot. Not so. But if I was buying property in the future, I would buy more than 10 acres to avoid future restrictions.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Well said, oohrah...

There is a state law that prevents counties from ever passing a law restricting firearms use on property greater than 10 acres. Doesn't mean your county has ever passed a law making it illegal for 5 acre parcels- you have to check with your county... or look up the statutes for your county (or municipality if you're in city limits... many Texas towns/cities have not passed laws making shooting on your own property illegal).

If you find you are not restricted, you still have to keep the bullets on your own property- besides being a bad idea and dangerous, it's illegal to cross property lines without the other property owner's (written) permission.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    The size of the property doesn't matter, just legal restrictions.

You have to keep the bullets on your property.
    You cannot be in a city limits (I assume all cities ban discharge of firearms.)
    Your county has not restricted shooting in some way. Here's where the acreage comes in - the state preempts counties from regulating restrictions on property that is more than 10 acres.

Many folks confuse that preemption to say you MUST have 10 acres to shoot. Not so. But if I was buying property in the future, I would buy more than 10 acres to avoid future restrictions.
    Incorrect assumption.

Michael harwell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2017
    Comal
    I'm not in the City or any incorporated jurisdiction, rural land.I presently own 10.04 acres which are unrestricted.. I'm in the possess of dividing the land into two 5.02 acre tracts. I will retain both tracts.
    Still totaling the 10 acres required to shoot on.
    Would I still be able to shoot, owning both tracts?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Check with the county or contact an attorney for accurate legal information regarding the laws where you live. I live on less than five acres (not in the city) and there are no laws that keep me from shooting on my property (as long as I don't shoot across the property line and shoot safely). It all depends upon the laws where you live.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    I'm not in the City or any incorporated jurisdiction, rural land.I presently own 10.04 acres which are unrestricted.. I'm in the possess of dividing the land into two 5.02 acre tracts. I will retain both tracts.
    Still totaling the 10 acres required to shoot on.
    Would I still be able to shoot, owning both tracts?
    It's already been said- not enough information.

What county? Does that county have any law pertaining to shooting on your own land, with any size restrictions?

ETA: I don't think you'll get a lawyer to chime in here for free, so keep in mind our advise is worth what you're paying for it...:deadhorse:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom