• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    It is not false.

You sell/loan a gun and it gets misused, there is risk of a jury finding you liable.
    After a sale? Find a single precedent of that in Texas. I won't wait.

Heck, there is a chance of getting sued if you loan a car. Or anything else.

You can also get struck by lightning.

Some folks must live their lives scared to do anything or even leave their house for fear they may get sued.
    ARJ Defense ad

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Why did you move the goals posts and bring in a gun store when I was clearly responding t your comment about loaning a gun?

"So the argument that if you loan one you should train too is false."
    "You sell/loan a gun and it gets misused, there is risk of a jury finding you liable."
    Your words, not anyone else's

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Why did you move the goals posts and bring in a gun store when I was clearly responding t your comment about loaning a gun?

"So the argument that if you loan one you should train too is false."
    I don't get your argument. If a person buys a gun from me all I have to meet is the requirement that he is legal, etc. I don't have to train him. If I loan him a gun, same thing. The seller of a gun in Texas does not have to make sure the person buying it knows how to use it. So, why should someone who loans a gun be required to train you in its use. Could you be sued if a bad thing happens, yes but you can be sued for anything. This is not really an argument worth debating.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    IF I loaned a family member a gun, I would personally make sure they're able to handle the firearm safely and understand how to operate it. I may not be liable for it, but I would feel terrible if there was an accident when it would've taken an hour or so just to go over safe handling of firearms and some manual of arms. I don't want something to happen to my family or extended family.

Personally I would not want to loan out a firearm. Gift, maybe. Take them to a gun store and help them select a firearm, sure.

Legally, none of those extra steps are required.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Providing training could get you in trouble faster than not providing training.

If the chucklehead does something stupid then it's very possible they are going to say you didn't train them well enough or not enough.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    I don't get your argument. If a person buys a gun from me all I have to meet is the requirement that he is legal, etc. I don't have to train him. If I loan him a gun, same thing. The seller of a gun in Texas does not have to make sure the person buying it knows how to use it. So, why should someone who loans a gun be required to train you in its use. Could you be sued if a bad thing happens, yes but you can be sued for anything. This is not really an argument worth debating.

The difference is this:

If you SELL him a gun and he accidentally shoots someone with it, he shot them with HIS gun.

If you LOAN him a gun and he accidentally shoots someone with it, he shot them with YOUR gun.

As for legal precedent, think about vehicles. You loan your car to your BIL and he wrecks it and kills someone. You don’t think you’re getting sued?

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    The difference is this:

If you SELL him a gun and he accidentally shoots someone with it, he shot them with HIS gun.

If you LOAN him a gun and he accidentally shoots someone with it, he shot them with YOUR gun.

As for legal precedent, think about vehicles. You loan your car to your BIL and he wrecks it and kills someone. You don’t think you’re getting sued?
    Like I said, you can sue for anything. The fact that I lend vs. sell vs. give doesn't mean anything as I can be sued for all scenarios. I don't lend guns and this topic needs to be over with.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    So what have we learned?

Nothing, it's only 5 pages, a poor start for such theads. I'll gome back when were in triple digit territory.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    As a general rule, I wouldn't lend a firearm, any more than I would lend one of my dogs, my wife, or my tools!

I won't say never, depending upon circumstances though.

Most any family that I still associate with, have guns, so I guess it's sort of a moot question for the most part.

M&P9_Rich

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2015
    I don’t see any reason not to, in Texas. So long as they don’t have any felonies or legal reasons not to own one. In Texas, there’s no gun registration on everyday guns. So there’s nothing tied to you besides maybe a bill of sale. The only exception is NFA guns. I wouldn’t lend those out if you have any. (Short barreled rifles, suppressors, full auto guns etc.)
    Just remember that it is still YOUR gun that you’re lending out. If it gets stolen or used in a crime. That could lead to some trouble.
    Personally I wouldn’t lend out my nicest guns. Maybe the ones, that if it did get stolen, I wouldn’t miss so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have your NFA items in a Trust you can loan them out to any member of the Trust.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    After seeing how my own sister acted with my fathers estate & the same with friends on their inheritance I would tell family members to go pound sand unless they had my asking price for my inventoried goods!

Talk2Me

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2020
    I don’t see any reason not to, in Texas. So long as they don’t have any felonies or legal reasons not to own one. In Texas, there’s no gun registration on everyday guns. So there’s nothing tied to you besides maybe a bill of sale. The only exception is NFA guns. I wouldn’t lend those out if you have any. (Short barreled rifles, suppressors, full auto guns etc.)
    Just remember that it is still YOUR gun that you’re lending out. If it gets stolen or used in a crime. That could lead to some trouble.
    Personally I wouldn’t lend out my nicest guns. Maybe the ones, that if it did get stolen, I wouldn’t miss so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I won't loan out a "ghost" gun either, save em for the Boo-g.

Talk2Me

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2020
    Wife has some co-workers we’ve become friends with.

He loves guns, always wants to go to the range. Has some experience with shooting Glocks.
    She’s very anti-gun.

They called us yesterday.
    Asked if they could borrow a gun.

I’m on the fence but will likely let them borrow one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sell them one or gift them one.
    As Sam Elliott said in "We Were Soldiers", as Sergeant Major Basil Plumley : Sir, if the time comes I need one, there'll be plenty lying on the ground.

Top Bottom