• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kc5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    texas
    Kind of long, but amusing

My license showed up on a Saturday and the next day we were going to Canton. Most of you in the central and eastern part of the state know what I'm talking about. It is a like a GIANT flea market that draws thousands of people. I thought like was a good time to try everything out.

We made a restroom stop, just before we got there and I tucked my PF9 in my IWB holster at the 1:00 position. When I got back into the car the gun shifted a bit and thought I would re-adjust when we got out again. Wrong, we were now in a parking lot with hundreds of people walking around and no opportunity to make adjustments. So off we went and walked around for about an hour and it felt like the gun was about to fall out. By now most of you that have carried for a long time are laughing. I thought if I went to the restroom, I could get some privacy and re-adjust again. Wrong again. I must have picked the only restroom on the place with no doors on the stalls and people waiting in line to use them. I finally got the chance to pull the gun out and just stick it in my jacket pocket. I kept it there until we left. After about 5 hours we were cold and wet from rain.

Off to Academy in Longview. No need to try a new carry position on this trip so I just left the gun in the pocket on the jacket I was wearing. Left there and stopped for Mexican food. At this point, the trial run for carrying this day is over. We got out of the car and just before closing the door on the locked car, I tossed the jacket and gun back into the back seat. Wouldn't you know, in the rain in this dark parking lot, there was a black man hiding behind the car next to us. He approached quickly and said he needed seven dollars for something or another. I said to myself; "you have got to be kidding me". He must have heard this, with the puzzled look, he had. He stood there for a second and then bolted out of sight. I didn't see a weapon and he may not have been a threat. If he was, being outnumbered 4 to 1 may have been enough. Who knows.

$110 for CHL class, $140 for CHL, long wait for license.....leaving the gun in the car........
    PRICELESS

The 2 hour ride home allowed time for reflection. Threats can present themselves quickly.
    Rules for me:
    If you're going to carry, carry always (when legal)
    If you're going to carry, find the best way for you, which I finally did
    If you're going to carry, keep gun quickly accessible
    If you're going to carry, keep a bullet in the chamber, if auto
    Gun Zone Deals

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    LOL!!!
    Yep 1st days lesson sounds like a good one.
    Your rules are sound but you will find as seasons change so does the way you carry so be prepared for the upcoming summer.

TXCleaver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Austin
    When in Canton, I wonder if people bother with a CHL if they're carrying while sitting in those handi-scooters that are so popular there. :p

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Tyler, TX
    Lesson learned.

I actually prefer a Galco Cop Slide. It's an OWB holster that hugs my hip really well and my Glocks love it. I usually wear Hawaiian shirts and it works better than an IWB.

Keep carrying my friend!

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    I have a coup;e Hawaiian shirts, but I really like these ...
    Guyaberra shirt, big and tall
    Concealed Carry Clothing
    Guns Magazine, by Massad Ayoob
    "My fellow geezers and 1 can't say today's young people haven't done anything for us. They have made it fashionable to wear loose clothing. "Relaxed fit" pants and Docker's trousers might as well have been made for concealing compact handguns. in pocket holsters and ankle holsters.
    ....In the South, particularly Florida, the Cuban-style Guyaberra shirt is "in" for casual wear ... Old Cuba was an armed society; this shirt remains uniquely suitable for members of an armed society today."
    If not windy, leave bottom button unbuttoned ... not only is that the style (evidenced by this fasion model), but allows quicker access ...
    1179_62303_mm.jpg

carver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Waskom
    Many years ago I owned some of these shirts. Where can you find them these days? I looked it up on line, and the only folks selling them were thru on line sales. Would like to shop for them locally, any sugestion? I to utilize the Hawaiian shirts, as well as extra large T shirts.

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    Many years ago I owned some of these shirts. Where can you find them these days? I looked it up on line, and the only folks selling them were thru on line sales. Would like to shop for them locally, any sugestion? I to utilize the Hawaiian shirts, as well as extra large T shirts.

I get XXXL Tee Shirts at Walmart, Fruit of the Loom, the thicker material ones, for the "My Name Is EArl" layered look.

Actually, I think it's spelled Guayabera, but like Massad Ayoob, and many others,

I usually misspell it Guyabarra (or something similar) it out of habit. Guayabera is actually a brand name, they are also called by some people "Mexican Wedding Shirts" or "Cuban Shirts" (No racism intended, that's just what people call them, Google them .... Actually I think wedding shirts may be more like Charlie wears on "Two and a Half Men" , but if you find one, you'll find the others)

Prices range from 2 for $14.00 ... to $150.00 each, ALL mine are cheap ones, and I get compliments.

Dad ordered many of his from Blair, and other mail order catalogues. ($18.00)

Check your local Big and Tall shops. The TALL ones are longest and work best, I only weight 175, but I wear an XLT (Extra Large Tall) and they look right, even wearing 6 guns and 5 spare magazines..

There are lots online, might look at Sears but the Sears.com ONLINE prices are high ($100.00) .... Other stores must have them locally too, it's a popular style.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=Guayabera+shirt&vName=.

I actually inherited about 50 of them in all colors (I prefer darker colors for concealing) when my dad passed away, he was 6'4" and had them in all colors short and long sleeved. That's all he wore, and now that's all I wear, the extra pockets come in handy for tissues keys whatever, cause my pants pocket is "loaded" already. (Like I wore 6 pistols and 5 spare mags to church today .... no one noticed, even with hugging. I also told 2 CHL deacons they better start bringing their own, I'm not comfortable pitching guns across aisles to them, should they need one some day.)

Top Bottom