Join TexasGunTalk

Lessons learned from a Wallyworld parking lot

Discussion in 'Guns Over Texas Radio Show' started by gcmj45acp, Oct 10, 2013.

1. gcmj45acp

gcmj45acp Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    A friend of mine relayed a story to me last night in which a legally armed citizen found himself in a quandary about whether or not to intervene in a situation he saw developing. Imagine for a moment that you've just left Wallyworld and are walking toward your vehicle when you hear a woman screaming "Stop, stop, stop!!!" at the top of her lungs.

You look to your left to see a woman looking toward a long-haired, unshaven man who is turning to run away from the woman as she continues to scream. Cars moving through the parking lot are blocking your view so you do not see a weapon and really can't see anything other than the man's head and shoulders which keep getting lower as if he's trying to run in a nearly crouched position and the two of you are basically on an intercept path as soon as the next vehicle passes between you.

The woman is visibly upset and still screaming "Stop!" in the man's direction as he runs away. Other people are now starting to shout and point in the man's direction as he's running. Given this information, if you saw the same thing happening, what would you think/do?

2. matefrio

matefrio ΔΕΞΑΙ TGT Supporter

Anyone's life in danger? Seems not in this situation - I try and become a good witness.

Let me ask you and your friend this: You go after him and catch him or corner him, then what? You have enough training or equipment to detain the guy verbally or while using the threat of deadly force?

A big assumption is something he did is wrong. Do you know if he has a partner or more guys that are watching near by and is he armed? I always assume multiple threats.

Say you try and tackle him. You have the skills to fight off a guy with a knife or a gun? Even if you had the skills and are a black belt in three disciplines of martial arts and special forces from the .mil what's the risk versus the reward of catching the guy? What would be your motive in intervening in a half blind situation?

More bluntly a CHL isn't a superhero license.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  3. ArmyZach

ArmyZach Active Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    That is the question.

4. gcmj45acp

gcmj45acp Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    Indeed. That's the point of the exercise here. Is there enough information to suggest anyone's life is in danger? Is there enough information to suggest intervention even without the use or threat of deadly force?

5. AMERICANTARGETS741776

AMERICANTARGETS741776 Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    Exactly, I always treat my CCW as a LAST resort. Once your weapon is presented, EVERYTHING changes. This scenario doesn't seem worth it, In M.H.O.

6. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    1) Call 911
    2) Make sure woman has no life threatening injuries.
    3) Get good description of suspect.

7. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Exactly. The two people could be unconnected. Or the man could be a process server who just served the woman, or he could be a repo man telling he took her car and where to go claim it. Lots of legal things might have happened.

8. gcmj45acp

gcmj45acp Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    +1 But is he a suspect. He's a man running through a parking lot. The woman is simply screaming stop. Is there even enough info to justify a call to 911?

9. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    911 will decide if it is worthy to send an officer or not based on what you tell them.

10. matefrio

matefrio ΔΕΞΑΙ TGT Supporter

He's running away, so no. Seems the only person whose life could be in danger is the person who has a few moments to decide of their own free will rather or not to inject themselves into the situation.

Although not wise they have the right to confront the man running away. I wouldn't for reasons above. If the confronted and then the man becomes a threat, deadly force could come into play at that point.

Just realize the outcome for that momentary sense of justice will be replaced with a reality that could equal Zimmerman's predicament.