• ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Nothing runs like a rental!

That’s what scares me about buying a used one.

Buying a used UTV is pretty much like buying a used vehicle. You just has to look at the total picture, and make sure everything is jiving. If you are wanting more of a utility UTV, I would suspect those are going to less likely to have been hot-rodded than a sport UTV.

With the high cost of even a used UTV, I can understand your trepidation in shelling out a huge chunk of money, only to realize later it doesn't suit your needs.
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    And that is an issue. You never know what hell it's been through. Yes being handy with a wrench helps.... but who wants to spend the time fixing something that bubba let go to the bottom of the river, or took a 15ft jump or lord knows left in a creek upside down overnight. It's one thing if your the one doing these things to your machine.... it's another when bubba did it and now your paying good money to have it go fubar on you 3weeks later.

You can save some good money used.... if you can find that older gentleman with no grandkids.
    I bought mine from a buddy I work with, and I know how he treats his equipment. It had less than 100 hours on it and had been taken to the dealer to get the oil changed 3 times. He decided he wanted a full cab with A/C and heat. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for, I really wanted a Gator, but it ended up being exactly what I needed.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought mine from a buddy I work with, and I know how he treats his equipment. It had less than 100 hours on it and had been taken to the dealer to get the oil changed 3 times. He decided he wanted a full cab with A/C and heat. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for, I really wanted a Gator, but it ended up being exactly what I needed.
    Those are the good buys.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The market is so screwed up right now. Because there are so few new ones available, used ones are almost commanding new money.
    You should see the dirt bike market.
    YARN | Ain't much better in here, kid. | Home Alone 2: Lost in New York  (1992) | Video gifs by quotes | 85ce1ef5 | 紗

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds like a lot of markets right now.
    Yeah.... seems the new fad is all the phucktards are buying chlorine up due to an alleged shortage.

Seems the new norm is whatever fear riddled news comes across your mobile device.... is factual.

Hording TP is one thing.... what in Gods green earth you gonna do with a bunch of damn pool chemicals that have a short shelf life and could potentially be a bomb if not maintained correctly???

Dumb MF's

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It’s not just that. Anything that uses a microchip is in trouble right now. Car manufactures are even having problems. And I doubt there are many, if any UTVs that don’t need than also.

If you want to really see what’s happening look at GPUs. Between short stock and crypto miners the price is up to ridiculous levels. Stuff nobody would buy a year ago is selling for several hundred. Stuff people really want that should cost $800-1000 is selling for $2500+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It’s not just that. Anything that uses a microchip is in trouble right now. Car manufactures are even having problems. And I doubt there are many, if any UTVs that don’t need than also.

If you want to really see what’s happening look at GPUs. Between short stock and crypto miners the price is up to ridiculous levels. Stuff nobody would buy a year ago is selling for several hundred. Stuff people really want that should cost $800-1000 is selling for $2500+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    May be the issue for the shortage of FI dirt bikes then?

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    You can save some good money used.... if you can find that older gentleman with no grandkids.
    This is exactly how I bought my Yamaha Wolverine. We had been needing a third ATV for family property for a while. Also I recently moved to some acreage and had been wanting to buy one, so I set out in search of a used one. Criteria was good condition and cheap(rare) and a 5 speed auto clutch(preference) which I don't think anyone makes anymore. After months of looking at beat POS's or way overpriced machines I found this 96 wolverine for $900. Pretty good shape for a 25 year old machine and had the title in his name to prove it. Just so happened to be owned by an old farmer with no children who bought it brand new in 96. He had just bought a new Yamaha Wolverine which is no longer and ATV but a UTV.
    Screenshot_20210425-223649_Facebook.jpg

Best bet is if you show up to look at a used machine and it is owned by someone looks less than 60, it probably had a somewhat rough life. There exceptions though. Just be thorough when you go to look it over. Also if possible get a title. I rarely see these for sale used with a title.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Yeah.... seems the new fad is all the phucktards are buying chlorine up due to an alleged shortage.

Seems the new norm is whatever fear riddled news comes across your mobile device.... is factual.

Hording TP is one thing.... what in Gods green earth you gonna do with a bunch of damn pool chemicals that have a short shelf life and could potentially be a bomb if not maintained correctly???

Dumb MF's
    I know what I would do with those supplies. I had to go to three different stores this morning just to get enough to get through the week.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    A buddy of mine has an old Polaris SxS that is almost bullet proof. He bought a new 2020 crew cab Polaris last year, and it was a complete piece of junk. It broke almost every time he used it the first 3 month's he had it.
    Luckily, Polaris gave him his money back.

I've had an Arctic Cat 550 ATV for over 10 years, it's been a very good machine.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Lotta factors involved in the various shortages. Stuff that goes down an assembly line has been impacted by the various people in close proximity limitations. Need a chip? Ford has 5,000 F-150s parked in KY alone waiting for a chip so they can ship. More are parked in Michigan.

RV manufacturers are limiting upgrades (no second AC if it’s optional) and other previously standard features are not being incorporated due to parts shortages. Several of the majors have removed low demand floor plans from their product line entirely so they can focus on delivering orders for the high demand items. Speaking of, those orders are starting to string out ship dates for up to six months now. Deliveries are getting costlier and strung out because there’s not enough CDLs around anymore.

If it contains a part that arrives by shipping container, shipping intermodal containers is more fûcked up than a football bat. Whether it’s backed up due to the Suez Canal blockage or ports full of empty containers in Africa, South America and Australia, to the fact that most containers are made in China and those stranded containers have to be replaced in addition to the extra demand placed in the whole system because of stay-at-home horseshît. My guess is it’ll be another 6-24 months before shît starts to recover in that space.

None of that really accounts for the increased demand related to the fûck-life-as-we-know-it-awayness, either. People want an outdoor escape, so let’s stick it to the man and buy pools, RVs, Boats, bicycles and motorcycles of all types, guns, whackfûck clubs, tennis rackets, you name it so that we can have a reason to escape. Can’t buy it new? Let’s get it used and since the cost of money is stupidly low right now it’ll mostly he financed away and be upside down on the depreciating asset for life. Lots of loans are going to be bad loans unless we’ve just had a inflationary perturbation and this shit’s just gonna cost more overall forever because the various OEMs have learned their lesson aren’t going to expand manufacturing plants, etc., until after all this wholesale whack-a-doo nonsense recovers.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    The upside to al this craziness, I bought a 2021 1/2 camper last October up in Indiana where they are made. It’s probably worth more now than what I paid for it. :laughing:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The upside to al this craziness, I bought a 2021 1/2 camper last October up in Indiana where they are made. It’s probably worth more now than what I paid for it. :laughing:

It probably is. Try to replace it for the same price though.

We watch the RV industry pretty closely and have decided to wait another few years before we buy again. Between RVshare and Outdoorsy, we can’t justify a purchase and the attendant fixed costs just for a few days of use a handful of time a year.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The major brands are all pretty reliable. I had some neighbors that found a Chinese brand for about 1/2 the price. DO NOT BUY a Chinese version. It's not just that the parts are cheaply made, nothing is right. If you buy a Honda and a part goes bad, you simply order that part. Every Honda of that model uses that part. On the Chinese stuff, they bid out each part to suppliers. You could order 2 vehicles and have completely different parts from one to the other. Good luck just trying to get one started.

I've got a Honda Ranger that starts EVERY time and does everything I want it to do. My neighbor did manage to break one, but he had to go to extraordinary lengths to do so, and we replaced a few parts and had it going again in pretty short order. Another neighbor has Polaris and Kawasaki, and he hasn't found enough mud or terrain to make them stop working.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    When I was working the renfest The Budweiser distributer had a mini pick up that they delivered kegs in @ night. Both the bud guys are pretty big boys and they fit in it alright. The dirt road they deliver to could get pretty shitty in the weather, yet they could load that mini truck down with at least 8 kegs. Never once did they get stuck.

Top Bottom