• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Don't forget to factor in the hinges. The heavier the gate, the more robust and sturdy those hinges need to be. And the length as well. A really long gate si going to have a lot of weight on the end of it.
    Not only the hinges to worry about but the supporting poles. What sits straight in winter may warp in summer. Been there, done that.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Not only the hinges to worry about but the supporting poles. What sits straight in winter may warp in summer. Been there, done that.

That is very true. His posts do look to be pretty stout though, if they are firmly supported in concrete.

Another point to think on @KJQ6945 is how you are going to attach the hinges and closing hardware to those posts. They will probably need to be either welded, or drilled.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I too have a gate, well, gates.

2- eighteen footers that swing together with one electrically powered.

Yes, my driveway is 36' wide. And since I'm bragging, it'll probably hold 25 vehicles (or more, but I'm guessing) if it was ever necessary.

That and my property is completely fenced in to keep feral hogs out (they used to tear up my yard) and neighbors dogs from 'fertilizing' my yard.

A lot of my nearby neighbors let their dogs roam free, though each and everyone is a sweetheart...

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Where's the photo of this rock/log gate?

Guess I'll have to take a couple pics specific to the gate. These are the best I can find for now where I happened to catch it in the background taking a picture of something else. I've moved it a couple times the past year just getting it in the just right place I want it.

gate 4792.jpg

gate_4800.jpg

Rock for it to set on, on both sides of the road but when it is open that is just a V notch cut in to a log round so it doesn't lay on the ground and bend the pin it hinges on.

This was suppose to just be my X-tree, lol.

See the gate open from the opposite side across the creek.
    X-mass tree gate 02.jpg

Found one from when I first put it up. It just set on top then. I'd sit on the over hang part and balance it and just swing it open or closed. I thought that was pretty cool AND EASY. My women weren't so keen on it. They were afraid of that and with just the rope pull it was too heavy AND they kept knocking it off the rock, so then I drilled it and "pinned" it with the rebar so it can't fall off the rock it swings on. Also shortened how far it goes across when closed to give the counter balance a little more so they could handle it. Turned out pretty handy, I can go through with out opening on the bicycle and wife can walk around it when we walk down there. She is little wobbly stepping over with her bad ankle and all.

I like it better right at the bridge now. I didn't own the other drive way back then when it was here.
    Gate 01a.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom