• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    I’m looking to buy a UTV, mainly for work around the property, but also to use for hunting and cruising around.

What do you have? likes, dislikes, recommendations, ones to avoid?

Before moving to Texas, I had a Club Car XRT. It was basically an oversized golf cart with a big motor and a dump bed. The bed would hold a 1,000 pounds and was electric over hydraulic. I could dump it from the drivers seat. Loved it, but it was under powered, and 2wd with a mechanical locker.
    E25607CF-0904-46B6-BCEC-7BC5EBD35127.png
    690659B3-37A2-4261-8C1E-935878F59197.png

I’ve been looking primarily at Can Am Defenders, Polaris Rangers, and of course the Mules.

Give me some pointers and guidance, please.
    Texas SOT

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Have a Polaris Ranger 500 that we use around the property and for hunting from time to time.

Does everything I need it to. Happy with the purchase. Wasn’t looking to race down the county roads at 75mph.

Louder than I’d prefer. But that’s about my only gripe.

Used it to move a 16’ car hauler the other day. Think I found the limit of what it should pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Have a Polaris Ranger 500 that we use around the property and for hunting from time to time.

Does everything I need it to. Happy with the purchase. Wasn’t looking to race down the county roads at 75mph.

Louder than I’d prefer. But that’s about my only gripe.

Used it to move a 16’ car hauler the other day. Think I found the limit of what it should pull.

How fast will it run?

that is a consideration I keep in mind. I don’t want to run 75 down the county roads, but if I get out there, I don’t want to be stuck at 20 either.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    It’s all a compromise between speed, payload, usability, and of course appearance. I’ve been searching for a couple weeks, and I’m pretty much overwhelmed. Add to this, there’s very little used inventory, and almost no new inventory. Another market killed by the Rona.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    How fast will it run?

that is a consideration I keep in mind. I don’t want to run 75 down the county roads, but if I get out there, I don’t want to be stuck at 20 either.

I usually cruise around about 20. Does 30 fine though. 40 is probably the limit. Never pushed it past about 35 that I can recall though so 40 is just a guess.

I don’t generally have that far to go though. Maybe half a mile up the road. Sometimes longer drives just getting out of the house, but in no hurry then either.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    According to google it tops out at 44.

I imagine doing that all the time wouldn’t be good for it though and if you want to go that fast a bigger engine would probably be worth it in terms of a lasting investment. Just me guessing though.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    According to google it tops out at 44.

I imagine doing that all the time wouldn’t be good for it though and if you want to go that fast a bigger engine would probably be worth it in terms of a lasting investment. Just me guessing though.

That’s the dilemma. Wants versus needs, and of course, the price.
    it’s a compromise.
    who has regrets on there current machine? What would you do different? Should you have got the power steering? Wish you got the bigger engine?

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    I’d like this to be a one time purchase, not something I have regrets about, and have to do over in a couple of years. I guess that’s why I’m asking for all of your input.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    I had a Polaris 800 ranger crew. Great UTV but it was noisy and hot. Rode great but just too much plastic for my taste. Decided to buy a mahindra Roxor which is essentially a Jeep and sold as a sxs for legal reasons such as importation and crash standards I assume. Everything is imported but they’re assembled in the US. Currently they aren’t available as mahindra got a one two hit with the covid and a lawsuit by fiat over trade dress. Hopefully before the end of the year they’ll have a new model out but with India getting hit hard who knows. I run mine on the road under the ag exemption. Been a very solid ride thus far. A lot more capable than the polaris but then again they aren’t necessarily in the same category even though legally they are.
    de010b28d9ac636c02280b3044479a34.jpg

Not many in dealer stocks but a few available on the used market. Mainly from folks getting scared about parts availability. Parts are scarce cause of covid and that applies to just about any vehicle right now.

Top Bottom