Let’s talk about UTVs

rotor

Well-Known
Nov 1, 2015
Wichita Falls
I have a 2014 Polaris Ranger Crew 570 EFI. When we do sporting clays it holds the entire team (5) and all of the supplies. I don't have power steering. Has never had any problems, EFI so starts easily, Service it occasionally and that's it. These are not built for speed ( at least not that I want). Don't do well on highways, do well off road. Have a winch, never used. Have a roof. That's it. Bought gun racks for when doing the clays.

Axxe55

Just a man, and his dogs.
Dec 15, 2019
somewhere.....East Texas.
@KJQ6945 every one of the UTV's mentioned are great for the intended purposes you want one for. They all have their pros and cons.

My brother did some horse trading with a guy over a 4wd golf cart for a Kubota 4wd UTV with a cab. It has power steering, A/C, heater, radio and it rides pretty great! But it has it's drawbacks as well. Has great low end power because of the diesel engine and 4wd, but it has doors, and if you are in and out a lot, that gets old and tiresome quick. It has no opening door windows. The windshield pivots out from the bottom for fresh air. It's also quite heavy, weighing in at over 3600lbs. with the cab. It has a hydraulic dump bed, and you can also operate various hydraulic tools off the ports as well. They also can get stuck! Dad got it stuck once, and my brother got it stuck once. Thankfully it does have a winch.

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
I will say a roof should be considered a mandatory purchase. Those seats get HOT in the sun. Folding windshield also nice to block some weird when it’s cold or open when it’s hot.

I have a Polaris too and aftermarket windshield. Parents have one with aftermarket top that seems just as good but isn’t built to fit the overpriced Polaris accessories. I’ve considered building my own doors for winter. Wouldn’t leave them on in the summer though.

Also built my own rear seat for the bed that can be raised for hunting. Lots you can do.

I don’t think these things are Polaris specific thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2017
US
Honda is my number 1 choice but Can-Am and Kawasaki make great ones too.

Now if you want a pure workhorse, my neighbor has a diesel Kubota. That thing is a damn powerhouse
Honda all the way!

I have the Pioneer 700-4 Deluxe. The bed is hydraulic; two stow seats in the bed if cruising with 4 passengers. "Deluxe" adds power steering and paddle shifting (great for rough terrain). 3 gears, 45mph max speed. 1000 lbs bed capacity and 1500 lbs towing.

Plus, Honda motor will outlast the Polaris.

MTA89

308 SUPREMACIST
TGT Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Texoma
Honda all the way!

I have the Pioneer 700-4 Deluxe. The bed is hydraulic; two stow seats in the bed if cruising with 4 passengers. "Deluxe" adds power steering and paddle shifting (great for rough terrain). 3 gears, 45mph max speed. 1000 lbs bed capacity and 1500 lbs towing.

Plus, Honda motor will outlast the Polaris.
Polaris is like chevy to me. Ive had nothing but bad experiences with both. Some people have good polaris machines but I wont buy them anymore. Honda does it right

I dont have a side by side right now but I do have a Honda Rancher atv and its been great.

MTA89

308 SUPREMACIST
TGT Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Texoma
It’s all a compromise between speed, payload, usability, and of course appearance. I’ve been searching for a couple weeks, and I’m pretty much overwhelmed. Add to this, there’s very little used inventory, and almost no new inventory. Another market killed by the Rona.
You may have to travel a bit to get what you want. I passed a few atv dealers in Paris the other week and saw that they all had some utvs in stock

But you are correct the lots are barren compared to before 2020

GoPappy

Well-Known
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
I did a lot of research and debating before I bought my UTV. My uses were mainly working around the farm (building fence, spraying weeds, checking on cattle, etc.). I ran across a good deal on a gently used Kubota RTV-900 (less than 300 hours on it) and bought it.

The only regret I have is that I waited so long to get one. If it was stolen tonight, I’d go buy another one tomorrow. I absolutely love this thing.

It’s not fast (top speed is about 27-28 mph), but it is as reliable as an anvil and just about as tough as one too. The hydraulic dump bed is a huge plus. Mine has a top but no doors or windshield, and it is plenty comfortable and breezy for the hot summer weather.

That 25hp Kubota engine they use in the RTV-900 is legendary in its reliability and durability. Kubota has built millions of them.

It just barely sips diesel. 5 gallons of diesel seems to last forever in this thing. And I have no worries about fuel going bad like I would with a gasoline engine.

As to the looks of it: I don’t think they are ugly, but it’s worker, not a beauty pageant contestant. Who cares what it looks like when it’s running around out on my property helping me get my work done?

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
Polaris is like chevy to me. Ive had nothing but bad experiences with both. Some people have good polaris machines but I wont buy them anymore. Honda does it right

I dont have a side by side right now but I do have a Honda Rancher atv and its been great.
What issues did you have with your Polaris?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coyote9

Jan 13, 2020
Granbury Texas
I’m looking to buy a UTV, mainly for work around the property, but also to use for hunting and cruising around.

What do you have? likes, dislikes, recommendations, ones to avoid?

Before moving to Texas, I had a Club Car XRT. It was basically an oversized golf cart with a big motor and a dump bed. The bed would hold a 1,000 pounds and was electric over hydraulic. I could dump it from the drivers seat. Loved it, but it was under powered, and 2wd with a mechanical locker.
View attachment 255778 View attachment 255779

I’ve been looking primarily at Can Am Defenders, Polaris Rangers, and of course the Mules.

Give me some pointers and guidance, please.
Check overall width, some states (Colorado for example) have a max width allowed on offroad trails by UTV/ATV. So if you plan to use it there check it out.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Forum statistics

Threads