Let the ATF know how you feel about a ban on certain shotguns.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I got this today in the February ATF newsletter. Please take time to let them know how you feel on this subject. It might make a difference. Good for all gun enthusiasts even if you don't ever plan on buying a Saiga.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/newsletters/ffl/ffl-newsletter-2011-02.pdf

Study on the Importability of Certain Shotguns
    ATF recently completed a study of the criteria that the agency uses to determine whether shotguns are importable as sporting firearms under the Gun Control Act.
    Since the passage of the Gun Control Act of 1968, ATF has been responsible for determining whether firearms are “generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes” under section 925(d)(3). Only firearms that meet this “sporting purposes” test may be imported.
    Although previous studies provided effective guidelines for determining the sporting purposes of rifles, ATF recognized that no similar studies had been completed to determine the sporting suitability of shotguns.
    All interested persons may submit comments on the study. Comments may be submitted by e-mail to shotgunstudy@atf.gov or by fax to (202) 648-9601. Faxed comments may not exceed 5 pages. All comments must include name and mailing address. ATF encourages submission of comments no later than May 1, 2011.
    DK Firearms

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    We need to contact the ATF and express our opposition first.

Then, please contact your congressional representative and senator ASAP and stop the ATF's abuse of power. Ask them to hold congressional hearings regarding the ATF's narrow definition of "Sporting Purposes"! You can find your representative and senator's contact information here: Congress.org - Congressional Directory

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Its a never ending cycle. I wish I could go a week without contacting some kind of rep or agency that is about to screw with my rights. :mad:

I do not think it is necessary to deem a sporting purpose before allowing the import of a shotgun. I believe that any shotgun that would be legal in the US should be allowed to be imported. Many people use shotguns for home defense and often times foreign made guns are of superb quality. I hope for the ATF to broaden the language on sporting purpose to include instead all lawful purposes as this only seems logical.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    SC has it. If we could get them to take "Sporting Purpose" off the books and stick to the 2nd Amendment then it'd be a huge win. The GLOCK 25 and the GLOCK 28 don't have a sporting purpose and aren't imported for example.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    here is my letter... not too much on the shotgun topic because im not a shotty guy. but more of an overall weapon ban in general.

i don't know how much my opinion counts but i would like to think that maybe it will be worth something. As a Texas State Trooper, i see the good, the bad, and the ugly of this world. I can honestly say that putting a ban on this weapon, or any type of weapons or weapon attachments (such as high capacity mags) would be a waist of time and money on behalf of the ATF. Every stop i make that a person has Legally had a weapon, not one issue has come of it. people are kind and are more than willing to let me run their guns to make sure there is no negative return on them. But what also never fails is the fact that if the bad guys wanted a weapon, they would get one. If they wanted a high capacity mag, they would make one. what would be the point of limiting the type of products to be sold to people who can legally buy them? In my county alone, more people are injured or killed from bladed weapons that firearms. does that mean that we need to ban knifes? because we all know that someone would simply file a spoon to make it sharp enough to cut. If history teaches us anything, there has never been an effective ban of weapons in any country. the bad guys still had guns, people were still getting murdered, and crimes were still being committed. The only thing that would be accomplished if this weapon, or any others for this matter, is banned, is that good people would be limited to owning a product that they can legally own. Why is there no ban on alcohol? after all, alcohol above anything else, is directly tied to 96% of the crimes that have been committed including DWI stats. its simple, banning any weapons, or their accessories, is a simple waist of time and an invasion of peoples rights. While Gays, Illegal's and other minorities gain their rights in America, people who whish to own firearms are loosing theirs. I respect your Beuro and their intentions of keeping the citizens of the united states safe, but sometimes common since needs to take place and look at the big picture of things. I appreciate the opportunity to express my thoughts on this topic and as i stated before, i hope that maybe my words are worth something.

Respectfully Submitted,
    Bryon Bush

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    The ATF doesn't give a crap about our comments or opinions. They aren't elected...their minds are already made up. Write your Congressman or Senator. My Rep is Cuellar....so it will be a waste of time.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    Umm...you guys are proofreading and running spell check before you send these messages to the BATFE, right? I know we're all intelligent people here, but when we rush through an email or letter, typing with our fists, and send out something littered with spelling and grammar errors, it merely feeds the stereotype of gun owners being illiterate hicks. That is not the image we want to put forward. Take an extra few minutes, carefully proofread before you click send.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Guys, those knotheads don't care what we think. Someone with stroke decided to attack those firearms and it probably had a lot to do with money. They ask for citizen input just to say they had it then they do whatever they want.

Flash

Top Bottom