• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I would like to hear your reasons and rants about why you think a shotgun is a viable weapon.(This ought to start something that we can discuss)HAHA!
    Guns International

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    I personally think a shotgun is a VERY viable, versatile weapon. I also think it's one of the best survival tools and i'll never ever be without a shotgun. I may be slightly biased since I grew up in a state that only permitted deer/turkey hunting with shotguns but still, look at everything a shotgun can do! Its amazing the different ammo types and roles a shotgun plays!

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Versatility, affordability, and mantra all make the shotgun viable.

Then again, kinda depends on the shotgun. If you have a chokeless barrel then it'd be difficult to use as a bird gun over say, a semi-automatic 20-gauge with a modified / improved choke.

Infamous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    North Dallas
    in a fighting role, the shotgun is secondary to a carbine. shotguns have less rate of fire, capacity, heavier munitions, and less range. id much rather have a carbine in all environments, even indoors.

however, it feeds a great variety of ammo (can shoot slugs against larger game animals . . or motor vehicles), and is more practical in gathering some types of food.

the price point is another benefit.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    carbine vs shotgun

I agree with you that a carbine is a very potent firearm. Lets compare these two in a given situation. 20 yards indoors or out, 30 carbine m1 115 grain grain fmj vs 12 ga pump #1 buck. Both projectiles are app. 7.62 diameter, one pull of the trigger delivers 1 carbine round at a higher velocity and the shotgun delivers up to 30 at a lower velocity. M1 carries 15 round mag and shotgun carries 6+1. Bottom line IHMO is that if you have the carbine, dont let the bad guys get close and if you do, have a shotgun.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    any other opinions or recs

Somebody has got to have an opinion or ideas on the shotty. c'mon
    any personal experience or ideas. I know some of you have used the shotgun for everything from birds to bricks. Lets talk.

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    In normal home defense situations, nothing beats a 12ga loaded with 00 buckshot. Shotguns are simple to use and easy to learn, plus the proven track record of 12ga buckshot speaks for itself.

Sure, the carbine can have its place, but they are usually more complicated, intimidating to the casual shooter, and require extra training to be used effectively. I believe the carbine is best used by those with more exposure to it, such as LEOs or the dedicated shooter.

At least with shotguns, the type of action can be tailored to the shooter's level, with a broader range of choices: single barrel, double barrel, pump action and auto loader.

With carbines, it has already been shown that shot placement becomes more critical due to the lack of general "stopping power". Shot placement is key no matter the situation, but what would normally drop an attacker faster with a single shot; a 12ga or a 5.56mm? With 00 buckshot, a standard 18.5" barrel with a cylinder bore will put all nine pellets in a circle the size of a fist at standard "in-house" distances. That is the equivalent of being hit with nine .38 special bullets at the same time.

In the end, due to what I said above, I have always had a 12ga. It is my first line of home defense (when I need a long gun) and I don't have any reservations about that decision.

Top Bottom