• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Hi. None of my friends are into firearms at all. When I go shooting, I go with my wife and sometimes friends that go just for the sake of hanging out. I want to get together with guys who are really into it as much as I am and can contribute. I like to shoot at the Anthony Gap open area but would meet somewhere els. I don't like paying to shoot so I would rather not go to ranges that charge 12 dollars when I only want to shoot for an hour or so. You must have good trigger discipline and your own weapons. I don't mind sharing but I'm sick of buying all of the ammo and accumulating all of the ware and tare because nobody that I go with has their own gun. There's probably a bunch of other stuff I could think of but we can get to all of that if anyone responds. Thanks.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Hi. None of my friends are into firearms at all. When I go shooting, I go with my wife and sometimes friends that go just for the sake of hanging out. I want to get together with guys who are really into it as much as I am and can contribute. I like to shoot at the Anthony Gap open area but would meet somewhere els. I don't like paying to shoot so I would rather not go to ranges that charge 12 dollars when I only want to shoot for an hour or so. You must have good trigger discipline and your own weapons. I don't mind sharing but I'm sick of buying all of the ammo and accumulating all of the ware and tare because nobody that I go with has their own gun. There's probably a bunch of other stuff I could think of but we can get to all of that if anyone responds. Thanks.

We go all the time. PM me your info and we will let you know next time we go. Kinda been hoping it would cool down a bit . We have a couple of firearms to shoot. Even have ammo.

american_soldier

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    El Paso
    not sure what your plans are this weekend but im going to go out to the anthony gap tommorow and go shooting i have my own ar 15 and i just recently purchased a glock 27 im itching to try out ill be out there sometime around 10 if your intrested i drive a lifted black chevy pickup truck and my name is Joe

GoldenBear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    El Paso
    Ft Bliss IDPA is having a two-gun shoot (pistol and carbine) on Saturday Sept 16, Range 2A at the Ft Bliss Rod & Gun Club. $15 shoot fee, sign-in at 830am, proceed directly to Range 2A to sign in and pay.

Course of fire is 62 rounds pistol, 92 rounds carbine (more if you miss). Practice (or figure out how to do) things like one-handed shooting, off-hand shooting, shooting while moving, pieing corners/barricades, shooting from positions (standing, kneeling, prone), while under time constraints. Specific course of fire is in the Files section at the e-mail message group (yes, you need your Yahoo! ID to see the course of fire file).

GoldenBear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    El Paso
    Because somebody asked:
    Yes, you can do it with an AK (or any other rifle or carbine). Two carbine magazines (20-round or more) will do perfectly for this month's courses of fire. If your masochistic enough, you could even use a bolt gun (with or without stripper clips); you might not be as fast, but as long as you get your hits....

You can get through the pistol portions with a pistol, belt holster and two ten-round mags. More or larger mags useful, but not required; bring whatcha got. Belt holster required; fancy gun belt and mag pouches highly recommended, but not required (make sure your belt securely holds your pistol/holster and stuff extra mags in your pocket).

Yes, you can go just to watch. Of course, it's more fun "to watch" from behind your pistol/carbine sights. Bring your gear (y'know, just in case). The shoots happen every month, the course of fire varies each month (mostly pistol, sometimes two-gun).

GoldenBear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    El Paso
    Because folks are still asking:
    Third Saturday of the month is the monthly IDPA shoot. Recommend you search "IDPA" in YouTube to see what some of the stages could be like. The rules can be found on IDPA.org. IDPA is usually a pistol-only game; this particular Saturday is a special pistol/carbine skill drill event.

Range 2A at Ft Bliss Rod & Gun Club. Go directly to Range 2A to pay and sign-in. 830 am for sign-in, 900 safety brief and start. Early arrivals that assist with setup are ALWAYS appreciated.

Generally, bring what you already have, and shot what you brought. Pistol, 9mm and above (no optical sights, no compensators, no competition/game holsters; just the stuff you might have on your carry gun). For your carbine, .223 or larger, iron sights or optics, whatever.

$15 shoot fee helps pay for targets and match supplies. No, ammo isn't included. Besides, no one else knows what you're shooting; you gotta bring your own.

No mag dump pouch required; the ground works just fine. No problem using a dump pouch though if it'll help you shoot better.

If the stage or course of fire asks you to do something unusual (e.g. shoot with one hand, shoot while moving, shoot from your opposite side), slow down, figure it out, and do it safely. Seriously, let someone know you've never done _____ before, and they'll help set'cha straight. It's no fun if someone has to go home with more bullet holes than they arrived with, or if somebody gets hurt (beyond their pride).

The standard range commands you will hear:
    "Shooter, do you understand the course of fire?" (i.e. shoot those targets there, move here, shoot those targets over there, etc.)
    "Shooter, you may load and make ready." (Load your pistol, holster it and get ready)
    "Is the shooter ready? Stand by."
    BEEP!! (After you hear the start signal, shoot the targets as previously explained.)
    When you are done shooting, "...unload and show clear."
    "Slide forward, hammer down, holster." (or as appropriate for revolver shooters)
    "Range is clear."

daniel17319

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Texas
    Im down to go shooting with you send me a pm, Oh and i know what you mean loaning out guns haveing to clean them and buy ammo I have friends like that. I dont take them shooing anymore lol.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Back when I was much younger, the neighborhood kids and I would jump a fence and hunt rabbits in El Paso at a place called Castner Range.

There were lots of "unexploded ordnance" signs posted, but we paid no mind.

We never saw any "duds", but picked up lots of shell fragments and busted up fuzes.

El Paso was a great town in 1967: Could catch a bus for 5 cents to a fried chicken place or Mexican restaurant. They sold us beer for 25 cents a bottle, and we were only eleven years old. Fried chicken wings were only 15 cents each. A glass of water, tortilla chips, and salsa cost 50 cents.

It was less than a one mile walk to the nearest Army-Navy surplus store where we could buy Black Cat firecrackers any time of year.

Yes, we did stupid things with those fireworks, but no one gave a sheeite.

Here I am, an old man, longing for my youth in El Paso.

rezarxt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2013
    I'm new to the area. Just got stationed at Ft Bliss. Where is Anthony Gap? And are there any rules against shooting there? Im trying to find some place in the dessert where I can shoot freely, but I dont wanna do anythign illegal. I live on the East Side of town and would love to find something within 30 minutes. Thanks

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    If you live on the east side, it'd probably be easier for you to go to the dessert, east of Montana. Google, "Red Sands". Welcome to El Paso.

There are zero rules against shooting at each spots. In fact, there is a sign at the gap that asks us shooters to pick up our trash and keep the gate closed. Other than that regular moral duty, it's like having your own range. There is another place on the far west side that I have been to once but it's far if you don't live on that side. The gap is only about 10 minutes away from me. This thread has photos of google maps to the gap.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/el-paso/45472-public-lands-off-anthony-gap-nm.html

Top Bottom