• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    So i've decided to upgrade from a 9mm and start shooting .40sw, for many reasons but mainly just because i have a feeling its going to be hard to keep steel spinner targets moving with 9mm.

but its a toss up between a g22 and sw m&p40. i've shot both and am very familiar with glock and the glock platform. so it would benefit to get another glock but at the same time, im interested in getting my feet with with the m&p platform. i've researched a bit and the mechanics of it are not much different then a glock.. not as simple, but not much different either.

so which would you guys prefer? ibjefftellsmetogetasig

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    M&P 40. I own a lot of stock in Smith and Wesson. Help out their sales.

I would actually say though the Glock if you are comfortable with the one in 9mm. I did a lot of switching between pistols for awhile for various shooting and got to the point where I had to keep reminding my self to pay attention to the fact that this works this way, of the trigger is lighter/longer/heavier, have to use this Grip here, that one there, etc. So I dumped all my other semi-autos and just focused on the Glock platform.

The fact that there is a lot you can do with the gun on your own in terms of modifications is pretty nice as well, especially for a gun you plan on using in competition.

Malladus

Slotback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Glock man here. But shoot both if possible before you lay your money down. You might find that you do prefer one a whole lot more.

And whatever you purchase, enjoy.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think the M&P is worth a serious look. Take a look at the crazy test this dude is doing with one:

50,000 Rounds in Six Months: M&P9 - M4Carbine.net Forums

pistol-training.com

The jist, he's putting 50,000 rounds through a bone stock, new in the box M&P9 within 6 months. Right now he's at week 20, 38,736 rounds, with only 2 stoppages, and his trigger spring just broke. He has a pretty comprehensive log on his site from week to week. I know it's not a 40sw, but I think it's still a good example of what the platform can be capable of in a general sense.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I had an M&P9 and "upgraded" to a Glock 17. Mainly I trade it because the cost of night sites and installation made up the difference in price VS the trade-in on the Glock. I have to say though, my M&P spent most of it's time in my gun cabinet on a shelf, but it looked like I carried it every day of the year I owned it. The finish on the Glock is far superior in terms of wear to the M&P. I got a big deduction on my trade-in because of the finish. I put about 2000 rounds through the M&P which I know isn't much, but even in the first 100 rounds I never had a single problem. It did run flawless the entire time I had it, even when I ran it in near freezing and in the rain. I like the night sites on my Glock though, it was well worth the money to have tritium sights.

My vote would be for the Glock, I've been very happy with my 17.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Glock 22...no doubt about it.

I have owned a Second Gen. Glock 22 since 1994 and it has never failed...ever. In fact, I cannot kill it.

Yes...I'd go Glock if only because of the reliability and long life I have gotten out of this and my 8 year old Glock 17. They're hard to kill!

- brickboy240

diverge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I currently own the G23, G22, G35 and have owned the M&P 9 and G27.

I agree with what someone previously stated about the finish being stronger on Glocks than M&P. Carrying the M&P in my range bag scratched it while my Glocks never did. The only reason this upset me was because I had decided to sell it.

A few of the points from my experience with M&P:
    1) Can hit mag release w/o breaking grip. I can not do that with Glock and not break grip unless i use the extended mag release which i do. Seen the mag fall out of the gun after holster draws from different people.
    2) Front serrations are nice for system check
    3) reloads were faster. slimmer profile follower area meant i didn't miss as much. Not as much drag as plastic on plastic.
    4) better trigger out of the box. not a problem for me since i know how to work on Glocks. Parts are cheap for glock so I played with different things to get the trigger I want. Have a friend that sent off his M&P for a trigger job. It came back too light for him. He unintentionally fires twice each time he pulls the trigger.
    5) I stayed with Glock because I carry the 23. M&P does not have a true compact. Glock's compact has a shorter barrel and grip than the full-size. The M&P compact has a shorter barrel and same size grip as full-size.
    6) Glock is easy to completely take apart to clean / work on . M&p more difficult. Don't like having to remove the rear sight to get to the firing pin safety.
    7) The M&P grip was too thin for me. Putting on the wide backstrap gave me a triangle like feeling with thick back and thin front. I like the more rectangular grip of Glock and Sig.
    8) M&p barrel rifling allows you to shoot lead bullets. You can also with Glock but have to clean it more to avert lead buildup.
    9) Mags were ~$40 (when I owned one) vs $20 Glock mags
    10) You get more value for your money with the S&W. Assuming both to be equally dependable that is. That is the thing about Glocks. What makes them so easy to work on also makes them feel cheaper compared to most other handguns.

If the M&P had a true compact I might of stayed with it. It is an improvement over the Glock in many ways.However, Glock has the best selection of sizes and calibers. I bought mine when S&W had the $50.00 rebate and two free mags. You missed the boat on that.

pawncop

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    One last thing to think about get a Glock Model 31 (357 Sig) and then a 40 S&W barrel and you have two calibers, one gun.

Top Bottom