IMG_4239.jpg
      223.8 KB · Views: 667

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    This one was a hot & fast brisket. I’ve done dozens of low & slow but this is the new rage and figured I’d give it a try. 12# brisket covered with SPOG & a little chili powder & cayenne pepper. Actually turned out pretty good. Meat wise it was tender & juicy but I like a little richer bark that low & slow gives. I’ll be experimenting with this process more. It last to Sunday when their are only 2 of us and we don’t give much of it away!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Last time I looked at brisket at the grocery store, I almost had a heart attack.

And I love smoking brisket.
    Brisket like all other once cheap meats take off once chefs across the country figure them out. I like sweetbreads & we use to order them & keep them for a couple of guys who knew how to cook them. At that time wholesale cost was .99 cents per pound. One year the wife & I head out for our anniversary. Back then we made a big deal about it simply because no one else gives a shit. We end up @ Cafe Annie(High class restaurant overlooking Post Oak Boulevard withs lots of windows. The restaurant received a lot of recognition from local and national food media, incuding a James Beard Foundation Award for Chef Robert Del Grande.) They had sweetbreads on the menu for $23.00 a plate.

My chef buddy says (A good chef can make money with water & flour. A great chef can do it with water & air!)

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    So....you're old enough to remember when brisket was 59₵/# but every once in a while (late May) they'd put it on sale for a more reasonable price?
    I remember .29 cents a pound briskets for 4th of July & Memorial Day! I also remember when weighting a pallet of briskets pulling all the nice ones out for anyone in the store.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Brisket like all other once cheap meats take off once chefs across the country figure them out. I like sweetbreads & we use to order them & keep them for a couple of guys who knew how to cook them. At that time wholesale cost was .99 cents per pound. One year the wife & I head out for our anniversary. Back then we made a big deal about it simply because no one else gives a shit. We end up @ Cafe Annie(High class restaurant overlooking Post Oak Boulevard withs lots of windows. The restaurant received a lot of recognition from local and national food media, incuding a James Beard Foundation Award for Chef Robert Del Grande.) They had sweetbreads on the menu for $23.00 a plate.

My chef buddy says (A good chef can make money with water & flour. A great chef can do it with water & air!)
    Ain't it the truth? Flank steaks used to be a "trash cut", too. They are almost as pricey as brisket lately.
    Edit: Maybe they are MORE pricey? I have not bought in a long while.

LeadChucker

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2019
    Dallas TX
    Ain't it the truth? Flank steaks used to be a "trash cut", too. They are almost as pricey as brisket lately.
    Edit: Maybe they are MORE pricey? I have not bought in a long while.

Yep, before the Fajita craze they all but gave it away at the supermarket. Now they price flank and brisket as if its now a better cut even though its our effort of trimming, slow cooking, rubs and marinades that make the finished product what it is.

After looking at all these mouth watering pictures I think I need to go buy a brisket and damn the price!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I use to make my jerky from flank steaks! Swing Steak(oxtails) are stupid over priced. Offals have always been the big profit cuts. Stupid ass store I worked for stopped putting offals out, then started wondering about meat department profits. I guess offals are just to offensive to many special folks.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    :roflsmile: I never heard the term "swing steak".
    I come to this site to learn.
    I learned that while working @ a store were we sold a lot of pig parts. Put some whole oxtail tails on the smoker & leave them be. Pork Neck bones on the smoker when they are .99 cents a pound aint bad eating either. You would be surprised at the meat on them. Sitting around telling lies, drinking beer & eating neck bones with hot sauce, beats hot dogs & most smoked sausage.

tsugsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Smoked this one a couple weeks ago, just now saw this thread. Started as a 15 pound prime from Sams, 250 degrees on the Masterbuilt GS 560.

Even with a dexter slicing knife, the point did not want to slice, so it got chopped and eaten on all kinds of things.
    55d5677144d0843d506f791cd067d3eb.jpg

f12be4079d5bdaf944b4e822a3e0a4cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 55d5677144d0843d506f791cd067d3eb.jpg
      55d5677144d0843d506f791cd067d3eb.jpg
      137 KB · Views: 434
    • f12be4079d5bdaf944b4e822a3e0a4cc.jpg
      f12be4079d5bdaf944b4e822a3e0a4cc.jpg
      115.4 KB · Views: 420
    Top Bottom