• ...and so much more!
  • TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I'm intrigued by the FAL and would like to have one (or five). I just don't know enough about them. A friend of mine sent me the link to this now completed auction:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/869573468

I sure like the looks of that one but, man, $4900 is a lot of money. I think that's actually a pretty normal price for these.

I know I want the real FN and I think a Styer import is a nice way to go.

Who has a FAL? What's your take on them?
    DK Firearms

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    I love the FAL. Aesthetically it's amazing. I especially enjoy the style that was in that gun broker link. Ideal FAL, imo. I'd want to shoot it though, so I'm not sure that particular one would be the right thing for me to have.

Don't own one, want one, especially an original FN. Can't afford that kind of price tag. Maybe a DSA FAL some day.

They're 2+ moa rifles, but they're reliable and shoot well.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I actually built several from South African and Chilean demilled rifles 20+ years ago. Imbel receivers were highly obtainable back then.
    The FAL is a battle rifle. It is heavy. I eventually opted to go with the AR 10. It is superior.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm intrigued by the FAL and would like to have one (or five). I just don't know enough about them. A friend of mine sent me the link to this now completed auction:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/869573468

I sure like the looks of that one but, man, $4900 is a lot of money. I think that's actually a pretty normal price for these.

I know I want the real FN and I think a Styer import is a nice way to go.

Who has a FAL? What's your take on them?

You're going to pay one hell of a premium just to be able to say that you have an FN made FAL. There's nothing wrong with that, but I see those as more of a collector's piece than a shooter. If you're just getting into FALs, I would make sure that I REALLY like them before plopping down that sort of money. You can find an Imbel for $1000-$1600 pretty easily. I'm working on a deal on a really nice one of those right now. I'm hoping to pick it up at the end of the month.

The Israeli ones are really cool. They have their own unique thing going on. If I like the Imbel, I'm going to be very tempted to build an Israeli light barrel FAL.

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Oh they’re cool alright.
    You’re gonna have to cough up the $ to get one tho.
    For the same money you can roll with an M1A with plenty left over for ammo,mags,and goodies.
    Good luck in your quest.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Heavy.
    Sights suck.
    Trigger sucks.
    Get an M-1-A

No. M1a sucks.

Heavier than an FAL in military configurations

Sights are adequate for combat, FAL is easier to scope

Trigger sucks, but is very easy to improve.

Fal is an overall more reliable system

Fal is better at retaining it's zero

M1a/m14 mags suck

Quality fal parts are easier to find.

The M14/M1A sucked so bad, not only did they have to bring out John C Garand out of retirement to fix it, it was also the shortest lived US service rifle ever.

Even the Krag outlasted the M14 in front line service. That is embarrassing.

And you aren't getting a good civilian M1a for anywhere near the price of an FAL, be it a DSA, imbel, etc. Dsa might not be perfect, but at least they are starting with a superior design. Some of SAI's M1A's I've seen are just embarrassing.

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    TX OMFS,

IMO, having owned an Argentine FAL, have shot other FALs in VZ when I was stationed there & have also often used a Beretta BM-59 Type 1, i.e., a MODIFIED M1 Garand with a 20-round magazine, I prefer the BM-59.

Fwiw, differences in opinion, to quote my grandfather, "is what causes horseraces.", so what i said is JUST my opinion.
    (I also like the G3, IF it is a REAL BGS model.)

yours, satx

Top Bottom