• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So....

I want to build a chicken coop.

1) how many chickens I need for 2 dozen a week?

2) What's the significance of a rooster? My wife can't eat eggs that have been fertilized. It gives her a stomach ache for a few hours. Is that all a rooster is worth having for?

3) will I get eggs in the winter? My MIL egg production reduces greatly in the winter. Why is this?

Pros and cons of this hobby?

Thanks
    DK Firearms

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    If you're eating two dozen chickens a week, your neighbors are going to hate you.

A rooster is a mean annoying bird who helps your hens make more chickens. They make good target practice, and they are tasty when you're done.

If your mother in law produces any eggs in winter, let alone fewer, you have bigger problems than I can help you with. But I wish you great luck.

Got chicken coop plans? I've built a few. They're not hard. Chickens aren't very picky about stuff like that.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    rooster is only needed to fertilize eggs. Buy young chickens NOW and they may produce by summer. I would buy 10 or 12 young hens (pullets?). A couple will end up not laying (you can eat those) and the others will give you at least a dozen a week. If you have extra you can give them away.

Every area is different and has different hazards. We let ours roam during the day and shut the coop at night. Know a couple folks that keep theirs penned constantly.

Buy you some of those metal laying boxes (2 x 5 or 6) to put on the wall, put a little hay in there for them, and when the chickens are ready to lay they will lay eggs in those boxes. Beware of snakes eating eggs, and snake proof the coop if possible.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Raccoons, hawks and many other varmints love a chicken dinner, build a coop they can't get into.

Roosters are only good for fertilizing eggs and protecting hens otherwise they're a pain. Add a little ground oyster shell or other calcium supplement.

For purposes of calculation on average chickens will lay an egg every 1.5 days. Stress will make them stop laying for a day to a week. Egg production falls off when they molt.

If you can buy local pullets they'll usually do better than the ones they have shipped in from a producer.

Keep waterers CLEAN and add a couple drops of medication occasionally. Sick chickens suck.

Change bedding (laying box) material fairly frequently because they are not particularly clean creatures.

Make sure they have some way to get out of direct sun in the summer.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    We had chickens for a few years

You definitely don’t want a rooster

Our chickens laid about an egg per day per chicken

My wife bought them from Tractor Supply

I killed several possums trying to get into the coop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    About 6-8

A half dozen hens laid 3 some days, 5 other days 1 some days. Had a coop with a 20×20 fenced yard. Fed laying mix, mixed grain and a handful of meal worms.

ETA: yard was made from 10' fence panels (about $50 ea) covered with bird netting and fixed math

Last edited:

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Rooster helps keep the flock calm - fewer girl fights & warns the girls when there's a hawk about. Other than that, he's unneeded. I've got 4 hens (& a rooster) & we get 3 or 4 eggs daily for all but the hottest & coldest months. One or two eggs daily during that time. I give 'em all the lay crumbles they can eat & waste. If you're looking for 2 dozen eggs per day, do the math = lots of damn chickens needed. ETA Ah 24/week ->probably 6-7 hens. Mine are free range dawn to dusk & locked away from predators at night. If you have free range chickens in the yard & want to keep to keep chicken sh$$ off the front porch, you have to get rid of the front porch.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pericomtz
    Top Bottom