• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Austin
    What leupold scope would you personally recommend for a standard m1a to hit targets at the max effective range for this particular rifle using black hills match ammo? Cost is not a factor for the scope.
    ARJ Defense ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The max effective range is probably 800 yards or so.

What do you plan on hitting at 800 yards?

A 2moa red dot is 16" at 800 yards, well within a normal chest style sniper shot.

The military usually runs a 10x fixed power scope on similiar rifles.

I personally prefer to over scope my rifles and would go 8-24x-50mm ffp if money wasn't an option.

The big thing with M1As is the scope mount. Spending money here is more important than the scope itself. It needs to be solid for repeatability.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    If you are shooting long as suggested by the op the mk4 is lacking. The turrets absolutely suck, no zero stop, only on option for turret reticle correctness and they only offer a few reticle options. I wouldn't buy one unless you are getting a mil/leo discount. I have one and the most positive thing I can say is the glass is pretty darn good.

ii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Austin
    The max effective range is probably 800 yards or so.

What do you plan on hitting at 800 yards?

A 2moa red dot is 16" at 800 yards, well within a normal chest style sniper shot.

The military usually runs a 10x fixed power scope on similiar rifles.

I personally prefer to over scope my rifles and would go 8-24x-50mm ffp if money wasn't an option.

The big thing with M1As is the scope mount. Spending money here is more important than the scope itself. It needs to be solid for repeatability.

Assume a basset mount. Hitting hog targets if the opportunity ever presents its self at 800 yds.

ii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Austin
    Any scope can be moved to another rifle, does not mean you will not have to go through the re-zero process each time.

What I mean is right now I only have a m1a for long distance shooting. In the future if I get a bolt action it would be good to have a scope that can handle the specs of the future rifle.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    You should be fine in that aspect but might need different rings or at least a different height. The only problem you will likely run into is that m1a aren't exactly the most accurate rifles without a lot of work.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    If you are shooting long as suggested by the op the mk4 is lacking. The turrets absolutely suck, no zero stop, only on option for turret reticle correctness and they only offer a few reticle options. I wouldn't buy one unless you are getting a mil/leo discount. I have one and the most positive thing I can say is the glass is pretty darn good.

Kenton offers a zero stop knob for the Mark 4. I have one on my .308 and it works fantastic.

I personally have no issues with the turrets but some may.

For the average shooter IMO the reticle options are sufficient and there are some new options for 2015.

I guess if I had one beef with them is that they primarily offer MIL/MOA instead of MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA. There are FFP options that can be had with MIL/MIL but the price jumps significantly.

Btw I do have a Mark 6 and it is a fantastic scope but well on the upper end of the price range for the options offered.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Kenton offers a zero stop knob for the Mark 4. I have one on my .308 and it works fantastic.

I personally have no issues with the turrets but some may.

For the average shooter IMO the reticle options are sufficient and there are some new options for 2015.

I guess if I had one beef with them is that they primarily offer MIL/MOA instead of MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA. There are FFP options that can be had with MIL/MIL but the price jumps significantly.

Btw I do have a Mark 6 and it is a fantastic scope but well on the upper end of the price range for the options offered.

At this day in time much less the cost it should come with a zero stop not one I need to purchase after.

The turrets feel absolutely horrible in comparison to my NightForce, Vortex or Bushnell Elite.

The model I have is a matching mil/mil but it was only offered for a limited time as it's 1/20th mil adjustments. They have since added the mil adjustments but at a much higher price that bumps the mk4 into class with better options at a similar price.

Top Bottom