• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I need some new tires for my 2008 dodge ram 1500 4x4. It's a big horn edition with a Hemi. I want to go from a 275-60r20 to a 275-65r20. It's an inch taller and will probably mess up my odometer. They are heavier as well being that their 10 plys. Anybody running these on a half ton truck? What psi should I run them at? I have 50 in my head. Mostly for highway use with the occasional trips to the ranch.

I am also about to pull the trigger on a leveling kit from hell bent steel, so I won't have the forwArd rake. Anybody have experience with having leveling kits on their trucks? Thoughts?
    DK Firearms

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I despise leveling kits. But then again my trucks have always been for work. Hook up a trailer or load the bed up and your doing a wheelie and your lights shine right into everyone's eyes.

I prefer airbags to any other suspension work. They are adjustable and never sag or wear out like steel springs. Put them on the front and rear and you can make your truck sit however you want and smooth out the ride at the same time no matter how it is loaded.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Bigger, heavier tires are going to hurt your mileage as well as throw your odometer off. Heavy duty tires are going to ride stiffer also (which I actually prefer). I do like a truck to ride like a truck.

A stronger tire will last longer and help manage loads better though.

What is your main use for the truck?

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    50 PSI sounds crazy high. I would ask the guys at Discount Tire (you don't even have to go, just call them on the phone). 35 seems more reasonable to me.

I hate leveling kits, too. They make the truck ride like hell and they make steering parts wear out really fast (because they change the angle of them to something awful).

You didn't say what brand tires you want.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Bigger, heavier tires are going to hurt your mileage as well as throw your odometer off. Heavy duty tires are going to ride stiffer also (which I actually prefer). I do like a truck to ride like a truck.

A stronger tire will last longer and help manage loads better though.

What is your main use for the truck?

Mostly commuting to and from work. About once a month I haul loads with it. Four wheeler and ranch gear. While I'm out at the ranch, it gets used as a truck, but most of the time it doesn't. I do have Bilstein HD shocks front and rear already.

I would love to have air bags just not in my budget right now.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    50 PSI sounds crazy high. I would ask the guys at Discount Tire (you don't even have to go, just call them on the phone). 35 seems more reasonable to me.

I hate leveling kits, too. They make the truck ride like hell and they make steering parts wear out really fast (because they change the angle of them to something awful).

I run my current tires which are Goodyear A/T's at 35 and they are 4 ply passenger tires. I'm looking at a set of Michelin LTX AT-2's which are standard on F-250's with 20" wheels. They are 10 ply. 50 psi seems fine to me. I worked at a tire shop for many years and 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks run closer to 70 psi for the rear and about 55-60 in the front. The overall diameter is .9 inches tall than stock Goodyear. They are about 20 pounds heavier though.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    My goal is to make the front level with rear. The sag in these dodges quite a bit. This leveling kit will mostly be for appearance to me. Here it is currently.
    image_zps2f08008b.jpg

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    Thought about doing the same thing to my 2012 Texas Edition Silverado, but I still have concerns about everything the guys mentioned above with it's effect on steering parts, mileage, as well as how it would effect the ride.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Psi will be written on the side of the tire. Follow your manufactures requirements. Thank you

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    I despise leveling kits. But then again my trucks have always been for work. Hook up a trailer or load the bed up and your doing a wheelie and your lights shine right into everyone's eyes.

I prefer airbags to any other suspension work. They are adjustable and never sag or wear out like steel springs. Put them on the front and rear and you can make your truck sit however you want and smooth out the ride at the same time no matter how it is loaded.

This. All of it. Leveling kits are for trucks that aren't used as trucks. Put any sort of load or trailer on it and you look like an idiot.

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX

50psi is not high for a load range E (10-ply) tire. i run mine at 65psi in my SRW Duramax. The DRW Power Stroke runs its tires at 80psi. With that said, there is no universal number for tire pressure for all trucks. Play around with tire pressure until you get the desired ride quality and still have good tire wear.

For example, I run 10-ply tires on my 4500lb Nissan and air them up to 37psi. I could run them at 32psi and still get even tire wear, but I don't like how squirmy they are. At 37psi it rides a little rougher but also much more stable.

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    Mostly commuting to and from work. About once a month I haul loads with it. Four wheeler and ranch gear. While I'm out at the ranch, it gets used as a truck, but most of the time it doesn't. I do have Bilstein HD shocks front and rear already.
    That doesn't sound like much of a load, so a leveling kit won't make you look like a complete asshat. ;) Just keep in mind that a level kit will most likely require an alignment and it does affect your braking.

I run my current tires which are Goodyear A/T's at 35 and they are 4 ply passenger tires. I'm looking at a set of Michelin LTX AT-2's which are standard on F-250's with 20" wheels. They are 10 ply. 50 psi seems fine to me. I worked at a tire shop for many years and 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks run closer to 70 psi for the rear and about 55-60 in the front. The overall diameter is .9 inches tall than stock Goodyear. They are about 20 pounds heavier though.

The heavier 10-ply tires will noticeably affect your braking, acceleration, and fuel economy.

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    Thought about doing the same thing to my 2012 Texas Edition Silverado, but I still have concerns about everything the guys mentioned above with it's effect on steering parts, mileage, as well as how it would effect the ride.

On a '12 Chevy it shouldn't affect the ride. On the older Chevy 1/2tons, most people would crank the torsion bars to level the front, thus making them ride TERRIBLE. Yours has coil springs up front and a level kit will most likely just be a spacer. Increased wear on steering components is negligible if nonexistent, if you're only leveling. Fuel economy shouldn't change unless you're leveling it to put bigger tires, in which case the larger tires will probably affect fuel economy; but only 1-2mpg, if even that. A '12 Chevy can only fit 33s with a level kit, so you won't be going too big...

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    On a '12 Chevy it shouldn't affect the ride. On the older Chevy 1/2tons, most people would crank the torsion bars to level the front, thus making them ride TERRIBLE. Yours has coil springs up front and a level kit will most likely just be a spacer. Increased wear on steering components is negligible if nonexistent, if you're only leveling. Fuel economy shouldn't change unless you're leveling it to put bigger tires, in which case the larger tires will probably affect fuel economy; but only 1-2mpg, if even that. A '12 Chevy can only fit 33s with a level kit, so you won't be going too big...

Sweet, thanks for the advice/input

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Psi will be written on the side of the tire. Follow your manufactures requirements. Thank you

Not true. The max pressure is on the tire. The manufacture psi for the vehicle with factory tire is in the door. Running heavier tire will most likely change the required pressure.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    That doesn't sound like much of a load, so a leveling kit won't make you look like a complete asshat. ;) Just keep in mind that a level kit will most likely require an alignment and it does affect your braking.

The heavier 10-ply tires will noticeably affect your braking, acceleration, and fuel economy.
    Check on having the alignment done afterwards.
    I plan on getting a programmer to adjust my speedo and shifts to compensate for the new end gear ratio.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Your wheels have a max pressure rating also. 50 may be a bit much for stock 1/2 ton wheels.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Not true. The max pressure is on the tire. The manufacture psi for the vehicle with factory tire is in the door. Running heavier tire will most likely change the required pressure.

Ahhh...i was referring to the tire manufacture

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a 2" level on my '12 Ford f150 FX4. I love it, allows me to put 33's or 35's on the truck. I don't tow and the heaviest thing I'll haul is a motorcycle. The leveling system didn't change the ride nor mileage one bit. I have heard stories of leveling kits wearing out ball joints and worst case scenario wearing out bushings in the steering rack. I take those chances for the mean time before I get an actual suspension system.

Top Bottom