• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slim jim

Official News Guy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Life saved by a gun owner
    Here is a great story from an e-mail update from the U.S. Concealed Carry Organization.

Forgive me, for I have sinned.

An About Face After Being Saved by a Gun Owner

a letter to the editor
    mailed to
    www.keepandbeararms.com

I am one of those people who you loathe. One of those invisible people who come into your living room without asking your permission. One of those people who follow you while you shop, and make it harder for you to make legal purchases. One of those people who try and tell you how to raise your children, as if you don't know how. One of those who gives ratings to stations that promote our demise as a free nation. I am your enemy. Or at least I was.

I followed it all, all of the propaganda, all of the hoopla. Believed it too. Believed that leaving my house was more dangerous than being in a war. At any given moment one of you evil gun owners would open fire on me. I saw the NRA stickers, the Gun owners of America stickers on the cars that passed, and I thought you were all fools. I did everything in my power financially to try and help more laws pass that would prevent you from owning guns. I wholeheartedly believed that only the Police, and Military should have guns. Every time I heard of a gang shooting, or other criminal act committed with a gun, I honestly believed that if we could curtail the legal sale of guns, we could make a difference.

Boy was I wrong.

I have children, three actually, and to me the only thing more important than raising them properly, was seeing that they aren't hurt in anyway. I wanted to ban guns, save my children, save all children. No child should have to be part of any kind of death, especially the kind that involves being shot. I gave money to all of the anti gun organizations I could think of, went to the "Million" Mom March, even looked at Rosie when she spoke, and actually admire her. Brought the kids as well, and even yelled some not so nice things to those other marchers. I'm sure some of you know who I refer to.

I was on my way back from the march, on my way back to Connecticut, when I stopped off of the highway at a rest stop by one of those McDonalds they have off I-95. By this time I had dropped off two of my kids with their father, and only had my little one with me. I went into the restroom with her, and on my way out noticed two men hanging out by my car. There were only two other cars in the lot at the time that were anywhere near my vehicle. I immediately felt threatened by their demeanor, but continued on to my car. The smaller of the two approached me with a knife as I was about to open the door to put my child in her car seat. He yelled at me to get in the back of the car, they were taking me for a little ride. I obviously told them to just take my keys, they could have the car, but they insisted I get in the back. I then heard a man yelling something I don't quite recall, and saw him running towards me with a gun in his hand. The two men vanished into their car, and sped away. I stood there frozen in time, and by the time the gentleman with the gun got to me I just broke down and cried.

To make a long story short, you were all right, and I'm sorry. This man with a gun saved me, and I just keep thinking if I had gotten my wish and guns were banned, there is no telling where I'd be, and what would've happened to my daughter. The only regret I have is not getting the man's phone number who saved my life. I thanked him over and over again, and told him that he saved me, but he calmly said to me something I'd never forget. He said "That's what people like me are here for Ms., and I'm happy to have been able to help."

"That's what people like me are here for," those words keep on running through my head everyday. Maybe this gentleman by some chance is part of your group, and will read my message. If he does I would just like to say something to him, and to everyone else reading this note.

Thank you for saving my life, and to the rest of you thank you for fighting for this man's right to protect me and my child. Tell him for me that I will no longer be part of the group who invades his home, and tries to tell him how to store his guns. Tell him I will never be part of any group who tries to make it impossible for him to buy his tool he used to save me. And tell him I will never again tell him how to raise his children properly, because obviously I was oblivious to the fact that responsible people such as him know how to raise their children better than I do. I did rectify that situation the other day; I bought a shotgun for home protection, and am in the process of getting my concealed permit. Next time I will be ready to defend myself, or others for that matter. Some of my friends think I'm crazy, but they try their best to understand. I just tell them that as soon as their child's life is put in jeopardy by some criminal with a weapon that they will understand, but until then don't tell me how to live my life. I've lost some friends, but surprisingly most of them understand. If not for this man I could very easily have been killed or raped, and my child could've been taken from me, so once more I need to say thanks for saving me, and with all sincerity to the rest of you, forgive me, for I have sinned.
    Target Sports

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've seen this one posted a lot. The general consensus seems to be that this story is fake and created by someone who is already decidedly pro-gun. If it is real, that's great though. It just sounds like one of those urban legends to me unfortunately.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    I've seen this one posted a lot. The general consensus seems to be that this story is fake and created by someone who is already decidedly pro-gun. If it is real, that's great though. It just sounds like one of those urban legends to me unfortunately.

I checked Snopes.com, but nothing came up. I hope it's true.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Ya, I with ya, I'm skeptical about it's authenticity. Not many things like this are real, especially when written in the way this one is. Real people that are involved in incidents like this usually aren't compelled to take the time it would take to write something like this.

But who knows....

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I can't exactly claim truth to this story, but we can all hope that our good deeds rub off on the skeptical and that we as firearm owners can give someone safety when they need it. My mother had been very anti-gun since her father committed suicide. Post traumatic stress from WW2. Of course, I started buying firearms, going to the range and even hunting. She was a bit worried about my well being, but I assured her it was alright and I would keep the house safe in the process. It took a long time to convince her, but I finally did. I got my CHL, and on the last family trek out to my grandparent's house in Alabama, I brought my 1911 with me. She told me she felt so much safer knowing we didn't have to worry about having a flat or breaking down somewhere. She now wants me to take her to the range and teach her how to handle a firearm properly. I couldn't be more happy to do so. :)

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    My wife was anti-gun until I took her out to the range one day.She got the bug real fast.She started on a 4" smith and wesson and I just got her a Colt agent 45 for our anniversary.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think the whole anti-gun thing normally just boils down to some people being irrationally afraid of what they don't understand. They are afraid guns just randomly go off and kill people. What they don't realize, and we as gun owners should try to explain to them where possible, is that they are just inanimate objects. The only thing they should be suspicious or afraid of is the possible nutjob that has a hold of one and their intentions with it. The gun itself is not dangerous, it's what is done with it by an unsafe, uneducated, or evil individual.

Top Bottom