• ...and so much more!
  • Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    A little set up:

Got out to the range today with my T/C Venture Predator chambered in .308, I was shooting Hornady Steel Match 155gr HPBT ammo. The rifle prefers Hornady's American Whitetail 150gr Interlock and I have not had any problems with it. However, I found a 50 round box of the Steel Match stuff for $45, and decided to get some for trigger time/practice.

Here is the problem:

Of the 50 rounds I put down range, I estimate that 10-15 of them just went click when I squeezed the trigger. I waited several seconds to make sure it was not a hang fire, removed the round and there was an divot in the primer indicating contact from the firing pin. The indent looked similar in size and depth of the ones that fired normally. I proceeded to reload the round and it discharged as it should.

Here are my questions:

Does anyone else on the forum have this rifle and have they experienced this?

Could this be a default in the gun, or could the ammo/primers be to blame?

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to provide.

MK
    Capitol Armory ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Check and be sure the firing pin channel is clean. A little piece of debrit can keep the pin from moving all the way forward and causing the light strikes.

It could be many things but this is the most common and easiest to fix.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Check and be sure the firing pin channel is clean. A little piece of debrit can keep the pin from moving all the way forward and causing the light strikes.

It could be many things but this is the most common and easiest to fix.

Or slowing the firing pin down enough to make it ineffective. My thought is this, coupled with possibly a slightly thicker/harder primer and you get a light strike. First strike gets it closer to the anvil, and the second sends it all the way home.

sent from deep space

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Thanks for the feedback. I did some more research on the net and found other people having similar problems with the ammo.

Apparently they use the same Russian primers that Wolf uses and are supposedly very hard.

I do appreciate the info, and I am also going to check/ clean the pin channel.

MK

Sent from somewhere.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Drop an eraser pencil down the barrel and pull the trigger. If all is well, that pencil should take off like a bullet! Note: don't do that in your living room. The pencil may stick in the ceiling! If that checks out, look for primers that are not fully seated, cartridges that are too long (bullet contacts the rifling which gives a cushion to the firing pin strike). Check that and please report your findings.

If this was a military rifle, I'd also suggest checking the bolt for a collection of grease or cosmolene.

Flash

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Hornaday imports the primed cases and loads them in country. The Wolf primers are made for military style rifles and may not go bang reliably in rifles intended for domestic (softer, thinner) primers.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Hornaday imports the primed cases and loads them in country. The Wolf primers are made for military style rifles and may not go bang reliably in rifles intended for domestic (softer, thinner) primers.

That is what I subsequently found out in my internet search after I posted.

Thanks for the reply.

MK

Sent from somewhere.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Drop an eraser pencil down the barrel and pull the trigger. If all is well, that pencil should take off like a bullet! Note: don't do that in your living room. The pencil may stick in the ceiling! If that checks out, look for primers that are not fully seated, cartridges that are too long (bullet contacts the rifling which gives a cushion to the firing pin strike). Check that and please report your findings.

If this was a military rifle, I'd also suggest checking the bolt for a collection of grease or cosmolene.

Flash

Really? I've gotta try that...

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Really? I've gotta try that...

I attempted it and am now preparing a post asking how one removes a pencil from the muzzle of a .308.

Just kidding, I couldn't get the pencil I had handy down the barrel. It was wider than a .308 muzzle.

Now I am on the hunt for thinner pencils!

MK

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    A small piece of dowel will work. It's also a quick way of checking for a broken firing pin. If the object takes off, it's not a light strike!

A good strike will stick in the ceiling...no foolin'.

Flash

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    A small piece of dowel will work. It's also a quick way of checking for a broken firing pin. If the object takes off, it's not a light strike!

A good strike will stick in the ceiling...no foolin'.

Flash

The snugness of the number 2 wooden pencil. Made me genuinely worry that I would be posting a how to get a pencil out of my barrel thread. In regards to my 300 win mag.

The 12 gauge didn't center the pencil.

But the 45 did shoot the pencil about 3 feet straight up.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom